• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Perhaps the only disappointing aspect about Hattons announcement is the due date, 2021.

Maybe there will be a saddle tank to go with them?

This is where OO, with its focus on impression and compromise, scores: things don't have to be precisely correct - if one is that bothered about accuracy, then EM or P4 would be adopted, and you can build your own. ;)

(Get's coat and runs for cover.)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

When you have a stack of locos either as kits, conversions or scratch builds what better than some rtr suitable coaches that suitably painted will look the part. The alternative will probably be no coaches or just a few coaches. Hands up those that look forward to scratch building sufficient rakes of coaches for all their locos. The only person I have met who could honestly put his hand up was the late David Jenkinson.

Don

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, I have kit built all my coaches .... Then again I don't have enough really .

Depends on what the hattons ones actually come out like. Of course by the time the CR ones come out I may have got to the point where a toilet roll tube on lego rails with CR on the side would suffice for what little brain I have left. 

In the meantime when I have built the signal box I might have a go at some more kit coaches before my ability to paint stuff goes completely.  I have the wheelsets, 24 axles. Thats for how many coaches ? 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I have again succumbed to temptation .....

IMG_3449.JPG.429ef2ab93edb96fc33035100a28dbf3.JPG

We will see if we cannot fit a Fox Walker body on this.  It will be tight!

Hereditary means that under the valance we have a far better match than that the Electrotren chassis provided.

937948578_FoxWalker01.jpg.f230fbb4b74c7781df26ca2ffc02a59f.jpg

Fingers crossed!  If all else fails, I shall have a brand new 1905 Peckett to re-paint. 

• Like 16

On 08/10/2019 at 13:16, Edwardian said:

So far as I am aware, it's not the next National Collection model due to be produced, nor, indeed, the one after that ..... There are, however, a couple of suggestive inclusions in that graphic! 

My twopenneth

So, I am thinking of using this train pack and adding a further 4-wheel, 5-compt coach, repainting to WNR livery and re-lettering to form:

6-wheel 3-compt. Brake 3rd / 4-wheel 5-compt. 3rd / 4-wheel 5-compt. 3rd /  6-wheel 4-compt. 1st/2nd lav. composite / 4-wheel 3-compt. Brake 2nd

250466253_WNRcoachconversions.jpg.b86c91f8b651abbccbe1e10a17bc0da7.jpg

The thing that really jars with me is the panel between the vehicle end and the first quarter light – it's far too wide in every case. It should be half the width of the inter compartment panel, for blindingly obvious reasons, not the same width. Should be easy enough to fix as they are only at the CAD stage. Another minor point – 6 wheeled carriages didn't have brakes on the centre axle. Again, simple enough to fix.

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

IMG_3449.JPG.429ef2ab93edb96fc33035100a28dbf3.JPG

We will see if we cannot fit a Fox Walker body on this.  It will be tight!

Hereditary means that under the valance we have a far better match than that the Electrotren chassis provided.

937948578_FoxWalker01.jpg.f230fbb4b74c7781df26ca2ffc02a59f.jpg

Fingers crossed!  If all else fails, I shall have a brand new 1905 Peckett to re-paint. 

The draughtsman sighed as the West Norfolk CME dropped an old drawing onto his drawing board and said "Do it again - but properly this time!"

*in jest. Making models is always fun, even digital ones :)

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

The draughtsman sighed as the West Norfolk CME dropped an old drawing onto his drawing board and said "Do it again - but properly this time!"

The Locomotive Superintendent of the WNR is very conscious of the debt he owes to the Drawing Office! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, wagonman said:

The thing that really jars with me is the panel between the vehicle end and the first quarter light – it's far too wide in every case. It should be half the width of the inter compartment panel, for blindingly obvious reasons, not the same width. Should be easy enough to fix as they are only at the CAD stage. Another minor point – 6 wheeled carriages didn't have brakes on the centre axle. Again, simple enough to fix.

@wagonman, both these points have been made and, I believe, taken on board. The end panel should be half the width of the panel between compartments (let's assume all third for simplicity) less the thickness of the partition - 1⅛” to 1½” - plus the thickness of the carriage end - 3" to 3½” - less a bit for the end beading - around 1½” in. So, a whisker wider than half the intra-compartment panel width.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

26 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The Locomotive Superintendent of the WNR is very conscious of the debt he owes to the Drawing Office! 

His immediate predecessor in the drawing office had not even managed to get any part of the tank engine drawn, and had taken many months to get anywhere with a simple wagon. He glanced over at his colleague with a look of pity, before returning to his unofficial, espionage-based, work...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, sem34090 said:

His immediate predecessor in the drawing office had not even managed to get any part of the tank engine drawn, and had taken many months to get anywhere with a simple wagon. He glanced over at his colleague with a look of pity, before returning to his unofficial, espionage-based, work...

In the Czar or Kaisers service ? call for Hannay  

Nick

• Like 4

On 06/10/2019 at 22:36, Compound2632 said:

And how come Adams' Great Eastern engines are such ugly ducklings:

image.png.da411a65e7fe380acec7da2d2c262431.png

[GER Soc website]

... when he produced such lean and elegant swans as soon as he got to Nine Elms?

Frankly, the same might be said of Johnson on his removal to Derby.

Apologies for wondering through and niggling at something the assembled honourable gentlefolk were discussing a few days before...

But with regard to Adams,

a) it seems that some of the (arguable / debatable) ugliness got left behind with Massey Bromley

and b) although Beyers were unarguably involved in his LSWR work, the Sharp Stewart 348 class commissioned by the LSWR prior to his arrival and then nobbled by him, seemed to somewhat set the tone for what he did next.

Overall, I've always found it interesting to put Brittain's CR locomotives, Sinclair's GER locomotives, and Adams' LSWR locomotives next to each other and compare...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

They are most pretty locomotive engines!

Just be glad the little Ruston is so much out of period for CA, they are amazing...

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

@wagonman, both these points have been made and, I believe, taken on board. The end panel should be half the width of the panel between compartments (let's assume all third for simplicity) less the thickness of the partition - 1⅛” to 1½” - plus the thickness of the carriage end - 3" to 3½” - less a bit for the end beading - around 1½” in. So, a whisker wider than half the intra-compartment panel width.

If enough people make the point to them they might actually do something about it – while they still can. It does make you wonder just how long they 'studied' the prototype...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

Apologies for wondering through and niggling at something the assembled honourable gentlefolk were discussing a few days before...

But with regard to Adams,

a) it seems that some of the (arguable / debatable) ugliness got left behind with Massey Bromley

and b) although Beyers were unarguably involved in his LSWR work, the Sharp Stewart 348 class commissioned by the LSWR prior to his arrival and then nobbled by him, seemed to somewhat set the tone for what he did next.

I don't think Adams needed to 'nobble' the 348 class – Beattie did a perfectly good job of nobbling them before Adams even set foot in the place.

• Like 1

As was usual at these Parish Council meetings, the topic of conversation strayed as far from the intended subject matter as possible and the councillors were enjoying each others' company. They were soon to be disturbed, however. 

Rising from his corner, the long-absent councillor coughed loudly to attract the intention of the chairman.

Having gained the attention of that man, and those gathered he proceeded to shock the council with his question -

"May I ask the chairman if he has produced a tutorial on the subject of his personal method of constructing buildings for model railways? If he has not, then I hereby propose that this council formally requests one - Do I have a seconder?"

Gasps ran around the room - one member fainted. The member had dared to bring the conversation on topic!!! All about looked flustered, but having collected himself the chairman responded with...

I don't know. James? :P 

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, sem34090 said:

May I ask the chairman if he has produced a tutorial on the subject of his personal method of constructing buildings for model railways? If he has not, then I hereby propose that this council formally requests one - Do I have a seconder?"

Oh come on, give the poor bloke a chance!  He's busy trying to steer a thin line of sanity between the Pragmatists and the Hardliners over at the Carriage Works...  :banghead:

But I'll second if you want us to drive him to distraction.....  :senile:

As for the Carriage Works imbroglio, I'm torn between lit and unlit, and which liveries would be best...

Edited by Hroth
position stating
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The carriage drawings are currently undergoing review by invitation at a carriage & wagon works near you. It's a bit of a slow job since my ancient electronic slide rule is on its last legs and only works in bright sunlight.

if any readers have access to drawings giving the height of lower, waist, upper and eves panels for typical 1880s/1890s carriages of the North Eastern, Great Western, London & South Western (arc roof types), Brighton (Billinton), Caledonian, and even partly square-cornered lines such as the Great Eastern, I'd be very pleased to hear from you by PM. Please cite your sources; both you and your source will be acknowledged.

Many thanks in advance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The carriage drawings are currently undergoing review by invitation at a carriage & wagon works near you. It's a bit of a slow job since my ancient electronic slide rule is on its last legs and only works in bright sunlight.

if any readers have access to drawings giving the height of lower, waist, upper and eves panels for typical 1880s/1890s carriages of the North Eastern, Great Western, London & South Western (arc roof types), Brighton (Billinton), Caledonian, and even partly square-cornered lines such as the Great Eastern, I'd be very pleased to hear from you by PM. Please cite your sources; both you and your source will be acknowledged.

Many thanks in advance.

Russell Vol 1 for GWR, Weddell Vol 1 for LSWR, Lacey/Dow Vol 1 for MR, Hoole/NERA North Eastern Record Vol 2...  All of these are mostly diagrams rather than drawings but possibly good enough for a generic model. The GERS should have some of Geoff Pember's beautiful drawings Best of all for GWR stuff would be to contact John Lewis.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

As for the Carriage Works imbroglio, I'm torn between lit and unlit, and which liveries would be best...

For some it would seem in that storm of discussion the question of 'lit' and 'unlit' would involve setting the said coaches on fire.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

Oh come on, give the poor bloke a chance!  He's busy trying to steer a thin line of sanity between the Pragmatists and the Hardliners over at the Carriage Works...  :banghead:

Which turns out to be harder than one might have thought!

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

A heavy burden now rests on your shoulders!

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'll do my best in the time available! 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2