• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Hroth said:

I would have thought that after Abbots Ripton (1876) slotted signals would have been banished from even the WNR!

I cannot see why. The North Eastern Railway used slotted signals well into the twentieth century.

I am sure that some survived into BR days.

It wasn't the construction of the signals that caused the problem.

It was the practice of allowing them to stand at clear.

Ian T

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 15/09/2019 at 20:54, brack said:

The black and silver is a beautiful livery. A few years back there were a few photoshopped images of other classes in it and it suited every one.

Eg. 

British Railways: English Electric Type 4 Diesel in BTC black and silver (fiction)

I'd be interested in seeing these. Have you or anyone else a link please if they are collected somewhere?

On 16/09/2019 at 07:32, Compound2632 said:

I did some research. I failed to find a pre-grouping equivalent - 1928 was as early as I could find: 

A shame its a silent film. It somewhat dampens the moment.

I'm also curious about what they are playing. They look like handfuls of polished leeks. Perhaps they are and its a ladies allotment produce display club parade and not a band at all, hence the complete absence of music?

One needs to know more... unlike the other video where one very definitely needs to know less.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

How appropriate, I note that famine is wearing blue. Perhaps that is an allegory for the loss of livelihood for the firemen.

He bears more than a passing resemblance to George Osborne...

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I think that bolts persisted for securing tyres on carrying wheels, because no appreciable torque was meant to be transmitted through them unless they had brakes, and even then not as much as via a driving wheel. I think that where high torques are involved a securing ring is used because it creates a greater area under securing force.

The other issue is that a bolt or WHY, or rather the blind hole threaded to accept it, creates a localised concentration of stress, and probably, if viewed very closely indeed, a tiny non-concentricity in the tyre surface.

Mr H is better qualified than I in this area, so will correct if I’m wrong.

K

I have tried to find out when the retaining ring, or Gibson Ring, was invented or first used but so far I have drawn a blank.

If the wheels were turned after the tyres were screwed on there shouldn't be any lack of roundness.

That band look to be playing a cross between a kazoo and a set of practice chanters as used by pipers, which probably means that the sound track was carefully removed in early 1929, for the protection of The hearing of future generations.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I have tried to find out when the retaining ring, or Gibson Ring, was invented or first used but so far I have drawn a blank.

Well, he started making wheels as part of MGW in the 1970s... ;)

If the wheels were turned after the tyres were screwed on there shouldn't be any lack of roundness.

Yes, they were turned after fixing.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Yes, they were turned after fixing.

Wheel lathe, Derby, August 1921 - carriage & wagon, not loco, but illustrates the point:

585458309_DY12255MachineShopHulsewheellathe.jpg.4014a150dd5b46a91b759745a78ba2f5.jpg

NRM DY 12255, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.

The tyre had to be turned after fitting to ensure that the wheel was concentric on the axle and that wheelsets were balanced. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Step into the Mutual Improvement Class:

http://kesr-mic.org.uk/resources/Methods+of+securing+locomotive+tyres..pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 19/09/2019 at 14:40, Edwardian said:

This double-ditch, in Norfolk, required labour, with the result that there is more than one position that can be taken in it, depending upon whether you are facing north or south. 

1471851371_DitchNorfolk.jpg.9e7a159147ed792524dd4e4b41bc34cd.jpg

I had to read that, quite carefully, several times in order to determine if you were being rude or not. I still can't decide, but based on the probability of your fine character I must assume not.

EDIT: I know I'm still quoting from the pre-grouping era of this thread back in the early 800s but no matter how quickly I read the blasted thing spews more and more pages in front of me! I will get there eventually I suppose. Or maybe not and my input will forever seem like a cable TV channel full of nothing but repeats.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just now, Martin S-C said:

I had to read that, quite carefully, several times in order to determine if you were being rude or not. I still can't decide, but based on the probability of your fine character I must assume not.

I believe that the position to be adopted in this ditch remains entirely unclear!

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I know I'm still quoting from the pre-grouping era of this thread back in the early 800s

I don't think that railways (as we recognise them) were very common in the ninth century... ;)

• Funny 3

That KESR link re: tyre fixing is good.

I’m still not convinced that even turning post-fixing would ensure perfect concentricity on a ‘point fixed’ tyre, because of the way the stresses would be distributed, and the way the tyre would relax after turning, but any eccentricity would probably be of the gnat’s gnadger kind, so swamped but all the other things going on in a wheel transmitting load.

PS: Maybe the studs were arranged so as to allow them to act as a radial "stop", without causing appreciable pull of the tyre. They seem seem to be threaded in both wheel and tyre, which I think would achieve that objective.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I'm also curious about what they are playing. They look like handfuls of polished leeks. Perhaps they are and its a ladies allotment produce display club parade and not a band at all, hence the complete absence of music?

One needs to know more... unlike the other video where one very definitely needs to know less.

could be Kazoos with horns, or could be Martin Horns http://www.pamelasmusic.co.uk/Library/Martin horns.htm apparently popular in Germany, and still featuring in bands in East Germany in the 70s

Martin baritone 16 X3.JPG

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Annie said:

1280px-Ahrons_(1921)_Steam_Locomotive_Co

This is quite right - tyre securing screws were common right through to the early 20th Century, on all wheels (not just carrying wheels). The were (are) very effective - so long as the tyre is well shrunk on and not allowed to wear too thin.

I know one locomotive where when the driving wheel tyres were replaced a small number of years back (<7) we then realiised that the screws had been doing a very good job of holding the tyres on - when tyres were removed a very mucky / oily interface was found, indicating loose tyres. It was no wonder we had earlier had to weld the cracks in the rims of the wheel centre castings where the screws passed through into the tyres. We modified the design for the new tyres to the "Double Nip" type where there is a ladge on the inside face of the tyre as well as the bigger one on the front face - you then heat the tyre sufficiently to allow the cold centre to pass through the inner lip and ensure that when the tyre is cooled there is a good inteference fit. The hoop stress of the tyre helps hold the centre together. We did fit dummy screws into the existing tapped holes in the wheel centres - but not touching the insde of the tyre - to maintain the historic look.

Later some wheels including those on Class 50 Co-Cos didn't have any "Gibson rings" (R in the diagram above) or screws - reling solely on the heavy interference fit before shrinking them on to the wheels. This was OK till heavy breaking resulted in loose tyres and one fell off. Needless to say the design was changed.

Most modern Loco and Multiple Unit wheels are oof the forged Monobloc types with no separate tyre - its as easy and cheap to change a complete wheel when you have used up the turning allowance - and the weight / inertia are much reduced.

Regards

Chris H

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Wheel lathe, Derby, August 1921 - carriage & wagon, not loco, but illustrates the point:

585458309_DY12255MachineShopHulsewheellathe.jpg.4014a150dd5b46a91b759745a78ba2f5.jpg

NRM DY 12255, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.

The tyre had to be turned after fitting to ensure that the wheel was concentric on the axle and that wheelsets were balanced. 

But the wheelset shown on the lathe and those in the background are of the Mansell wooden centred type (wedges of Oak with radial grain direction) which were common in the late 19th / early 20th centrury for coach (unpowered) wheelsets - they were supposedly quieter and gave an element of resilience and improved ride. Also supposedly cheaper than cast steel (?) Never knowingly fitted to driven axles.

Regards

Chris H

On 20/09/2019 at 14:30, Hroth said:

I've never watched GoT, though I picked up the first series boxed set from a charity shop the other day and must set aside the time to sample it.  From what I've heard, read and seen in trailers,  it does seem a bit "Tolkien with T1ts" But to my mind it also has added McCaffery to boot which is just more Feudalism with raunchy bits and dragons too.

Harry Potter is the exact same story as Star Wars in terms of its structural elements: the unknowing young hero who must find himself and prove himself, the aged wise mentor figure who ultimately dies so the hero can determine his future alone, and the classic figure of evil. J K Rowling merely stretched it out over multiple volumes because of the money.