15 minutes ago, Northroader said:

The ship was possibly named after Erica Roe, in which case the shape of the bow is quite minimal, and not requiring any restraint, either.  I must say what a great set of photos you’ve produced, James, and in colour, too, I’m used to old b & w piccies. Number one lesson, which you’re faithfully following with Castle Aching, is quality and placement of buildings. 

Theres some real treats lurking, like the Port Carlisle dandy on a plinth. I was aware of the narrow gauge locos upsized to standard gauge, Festiniog, Darjeeling & Himalaya, Isle of Man, all looking perfectly acceptable, but then I spotted he’s got an old Bury 0-4-0 tender loco tucked away as well. 

Hope youve recovered from drinking Arkells by now.

The Dandy carriage is a little obscured as currently positioned.  Former times saw it on the tram line (not my picture):

189403429_MVR08-Copy.jpg.1be9adc412d2f60006c83ce07a616eb2.jpg

Th 'Bury' is from a broad gauge prototype built under scale, as opposed to the NG locos built over scale, in order to make it OO gauge!

492654781_2019-10-18(83)-Copy.JPG.4fe271eebcf7f4d6f8e078050e4818c8.JPG

Competition time!

Lurking around are what the MV team are now reduced to running to spare the original locos.  Can you spot them?!?  I spotted:

- A Terrier, of the egregious Dapol/Hornby hybrid variety (surely they should not buy the Rails/Dapol one!)

- Dapol/Hornby L&Y Pug (not in any of the shots I've posted)

- SE&CR P Class

- Bachmann half-cab Jinty

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Point of order, Mr.Speaker, there weren’t no broad gauge Burys................

More's the pity (sigh).

I have however been much tempted by this little charmer.

pKqCh0p.jpg

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Point of order, Mr.Speaker, there weren’t no broad gauge Burys, unless they had them in New Zealand (you won’t believe the Broad gauge stuff they had there)

Which is why I said 'Bury' in response to you; you seem to have raised a point of order against yourself.  You'l  have to ask that funny little Hobitty guy if that's correct Parliamentary procedure! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Annie said:

More's the pity (sigh).

I have however been much tempted by this little charmer.

pKqCh0p.jpg

I started making one of these in OO a while back, good to know the Pendon folks are doing it too! I don't think I'll finish it though, can't really justify it on any of my planned layouts.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Regularity

if you have your doubts about the present Northampton Station, you should have seen the horrible thing that was there between demolition of the Victorian station and the recent(ish) erection of a collection of conservatories.

K

That was the final (smaller, because it has little architectural merit) picture. 

A building I remember well all too from my childhood and youth.

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree with James that getting inside the glass was a privilege that I shall remember for a long time. To be able to capture the incredible modelling without the reflection was a fantastic opportunity, even though I only had my phone to take the pictures.

20191018_161224.jpg.eb03bddfeb443ea24faa15e511c0a221.jpg

Though even without the reflections there were sometimes objects in the background that sort of spoiled the scene... :D

20191018_142015.jpg.2de2d4a7dc3fd20aaaae7f2e1717856c.jpg

It was a pleasure to be there, and also a pleasure to meet our host of CA.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

- Bachmann half-cab Jinty

I finally tracked that down lurking in the shed. Of all the substitute engines mentioned, that has to be the most out-of-place: a large main-line locomotive (even if small by Midland standards) in post-Grouping condition, with Belpaire boiler. Incidentally, not a "Jinty" - whatever that is (usually understood to be an LMS Standard 3F 0-6-0T) - but a 1377 Class 0-6-0T. If Pendon wanted an engine that would stick out like a sore thumb, they might as well have introduced one of those 57xx pannier thingies...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I finally tracked that down lurking in the shed. Of all the substitute engines mentioned, that has to be the most out-of-place: a large main-line locomotive (even if small by Midland standards) in post-Grouping condition, with Belpaire boiler. Incidentally, not a "Jinty" - whatever that is (usually understood to be an LMS Standard 3F 0-6-0T) - but a 1377 Class 0-6-0T. If Pendon wanted an engine that would stick out like a sore thumb, they might as well have introduced one of those 57xx pannier thingies...

Perhaps they should ask the Pendon crew to re-wheel a Pannier to OO for them?!?

They're all Jinties to me!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

54xx, 57xx, 64xx, 74xx? They're all panniers to me!

Yep, they all look the same to me too.  

It's like Palmerston on the Schleswig-Holstein question: Only three people ever understood the full history of GW Panniers, one whose dead, another who went mad thinking about it and me, and I've forgotten.

Still, 12, twelve, classes of Johnson 4-4-0s that all look essentially the same.  People in glass houses ...

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Yep, they all look the same to me too.  

It's like Palmerston on the Schleswig-Holstein question: Only three people ever understood the full history of GW Panniers, one whose dead, another who went mad thinking about it and me, and I've forgotten.

Still, 12, twelve, classes of Johnson 4-4-0s that all look essentially the same.  People in glass houses ...

They are all different and represent a steady technical progression - increased boiler pressure, increased grate area, piston valves... If you were an out-and-out Crewe man I could understand where you were coming from (though even Webb built his more experimental engines in batches of ten only before moving on to the next step in the progression). Adams on the South-Western pursued a similar approach to 4-4-0 development.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This reminds my of a visit to Didcot.

A small group of us went on a dead-quiet weekday, it might even have been closed but for our mini-tour, and the guys in the group, who know about these things, gave me, who cannot tell one GWR 4-6-0 from the next, a really detailed talk through the history of the breed, walking me to each living example to rub my nose on the finer points. They devoted probably three hours to furthering my education.

Then we went to the pub for lunch, and another pub for extended “refreshments”. 

I remember the view from the first pub, the really mellow ambience at the second pub, some of the journey home, and absolutely nothing about GWR 4-6-0s.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

54xx, 57xx, 64xx, 74xx? They're all panniers to me!

If you had said 8750 rather than 5700, then I would be inclined to agree a little bit, but the latter has a Churchwardian cab, and the former a Collet cab, also seen on the 4800, and the Hawksworth 1600.

But if you saw any of those on a pre-grouping layout....

• Informative/Useful 2

On 22/10/2019 at 14:19, Compound2632 said:

The brake gear as modelled is only appropriate for the liveries depicted. A vehicle in SECR or earlier Southern livery will require brake gear of a different and curiously non-standard type; @Edwardian or @Guy Rixon can explain the technicalities, which I haven't got my head round. 

For these wagons, and some others from Mr. Wainwright's time, it's Hill's patent either-side brake-gear. The gear was claimed, uniquely, to allow the brakes to be both applied and released from either side of the wagon. It's characterised by V-hangers offset from the centreline, an extra cross-shaft between the main shaft and the axleguard, and, apparently, a brake lever with a joint in it. All very weird. Hills' gear is superficially similar to Stone's patent either-side gear, used by the SECR at around the same time, and every time I think I've found an accessible drawing of the one it turns out to be the other. I do now have both drawings and text explaining Hills gear, courtesy of John Arkell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1