• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, robmcg said:

We in NZ tried double Fairlies but but by 1906 were building compound 4-cylinder 4-6-2s  or Pacifics, not a mile from where I was born in 1950.

538078397_NZRAclass_petonec1909_1abc_r1200.jpg.8412ba6475c1f8194548fdac08e00a03.jpg

My paternal grandfather was a top link driver until 1945 retirement and favoured these engines over 2-cylinder variants....

0_gilbert_mcgavin_cross_creek_r1200_crop.jpg.6608db8107e108431027cea1868e2ad9.jpg

earlier in his railway career he drove U S style 4-6-0s..

Ud_464_dad_cross_creek_Image5_crop1_r1200.jpg.9c13a09e968ecdd239122884840ea10c.jpg

We even tried Garratts by Beyer Peacock in the 1920s but settled on 4-8-4s from 1932-on...    

just for interest.

Now back to  the real world....     in Westminster I believe... 

My grandad drove Ab Pacifics.  He was at Morrinsville shed and then was later transferred to Auckland.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, robmcg said:

Whatever happened to Johnson's purity of line?

I know this isn't quite what you mean, but it took on a "new century" look of its own:

1923716863_MR2634.jpg.8165b64464b2e1c9b3575c3d36368b88.jpg

[Photo ought really to be of a Belpaire but I haven't got a good postable photo of one in original condition; likewise I haven't got a front three-quarters view of 2631 or 2632, for which I have to refer you to R. Essery and D. Jenkinson, Midland Locomotives Vol 2 (Wild Swan, 1988) plate 287.]

The Smith-Johnson compound probably represents the limit of technical development within the purely British locomotive engineering tradition, without recourse to direct American or French influence. 

In his report to shareholders in February 1903, the Midland's chairman, Sir Ernest Paget, said: "I believe that these engines are superior to perhaps anything at present running in this country. We know, at the same time, that the Great Western Company are building some engines of the type adopted by the Northern of France, which may be, for all I know, equal to, and perhaps superior to, the engines which Mr Johnson has built. I am quite sure that Lord Cawdor will allow his locomotive superintendent to give Mr Johnson every information on the subject, and in return Mr Johnson will, I am sure, give his locomotive superintendent every opportunity of investigating his engines." [quoted in P.E. Baughan, The Midland Railway North of Leeds (David & Charles, 1966).]

It would have been rather interesting if that suggestion had been taken up and locomotive exchanges had taken place!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 hours ago, Buhar said:

Obviously, there was no design precedent for the Big Goods and the credit should go to Jones for that.

I'd heard a story a while back regarding indian influence for the jones goods. Turns out the web may be more tangled than we thought, and less CME dependent.

43268656475_4da4989ab3_b.jpg

Dubs built this in 1889-1890. L class for nizams state railway. Hendrie, the chief draughtsman at lochgorm when the jones goods were ordered in 1893, had previously worked at Dubs as a leading draughtsman, and at Sharp Stewart before that (previous to which he'd started out at lochgorm). So perhaps it was his design, inspired by work he'd done at Dubs, agreed by Jones and ordered from his old friends at SS. In which case, credit to Jones for recruiting someone with experience further afield.

Coincidentally the river class was also known to be based on a previous design for india.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

6 minutes ago, brack said:

I'd heard a story a while back regarding indian influence for the jones goods. Turns out the web may be more tangled than we thought, and less CME dependent. 

43268656475_4da4989ab3_b.jpg

Dubs built this in 1889-1890. L class for nizams state railway. Hendrie, the chief draughtsman at lochgorm when the jones goods were ordered in 1893, had previously worked at Dubs as a leading draughtsman, and at Sharp Stewart before that (previous to which he'd started out at lochgorm). So perhaps it was his design, inspired by work he'd done at Dubs, agreed by Jones and ordered from his old friends at SS. In which case, credit to Jones for recruiting someone with experience further afield.

Coincidentally the river class was also known to be based on a previous design for india.

Many years ago, I acquired a solid brass model of what I was told was an Indian locomotive, built to HO scale, of something very similar but rather larger in size.

I think I know where it is, and if I can find it, I'll take a snap and post it!

On 23/10/2019 at 11:00, TheQ said:

I'd be more concerned about the lack of mooring lines and springs..

Absolutely. It sort of leaps out at you.

Mind you, some time ago I responded to a query elsewhere on th'interweb about mooring lines from a chap whose model shipbuilding skills were without question. For some reason, though, it seems that the addition of correct mooring lines became 'too difficult' and was never done. Given the details he had put on his ship, I found this most perplexing, but there we go...

Mark

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2019 at 09:16, brack said:

"Kick one and they all limp."

May I take advantage of the lax rules around here and posit that all locomotive development might just as well have ceased in 1885 when Johnson and the Midland Railway Company came up with this 1738 class?

1745_2P_Johnson_portrait1_4abc_r1500a.jpg.48d8a0001febaa8a57a81cd4d58943b4.jpg

No RTR model I know of so I have adapted an image from some public domain...  Makes you wonder why the GWR bothered really...  at least in terms of aesthetics, which I am certain make engines run better.

Edited by robmcg
typos
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, robmcg said:

May I take advantage of the lax rules around here and posit that all locomotive development might just as well have ceased in 1885 when Johnson and the Midland Railway Company came up with this 1738 class?

I'm not sure S.W. Johnson - with another 17 years in office to go - would have been agreed! Steam sanding, piston valves, compounding all to come. It's a moot point whether the slide-valve 4-4-0s and 4-2-2s, with the low profile front frames, or the piston-valve engines, with deeper front frames and hence a more go at 'em look, are visually the finer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nick_bastable said:

a late  entry for  ditch of the day 

nym-conservation-vols-putting-in-silt-tr

Nick

I'm amazed that they can identify that a ditch should go there!

Anyhow only three more days for ditches to be completed...  :triniti:

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Chap with big hammer at far end ....... doing the fell deed?

‘S what I thought.

By “fell deed”, do you mean as in, “the hammer fell out of my hand, honest it did, guv’”?

Not sure it suits the other meaning of “fell”, as it might be seen as a mercy killing...

Edited by Regularity
Autocorrect wrong again!

On 26/10/2019 at 03:03, Martin S-C said:

It can be if pretty trains take centre stage.

Double-framed_Beattie_0-6-0.jpg.5a536419de9ab6d35c9b2bf81d327176.jpg

No one has identified the purpose of the spoked wheel on the side of the loco.

My thoughts are =  Reversing gear operation ?,  Brake adjustment ? , shaker for firebox grate. ?,  Wind up the spring ?

Edited by DonB

Fell deed - Having just cautioned someone I work with for using the language of “war and battles” when talking about B..,.t, I think I’m now with the Archbish, so will refrain from comment.

Wheel- it’s the flywheel of a donkey pump, which doesn’t actually inflate donkeys, but supplies water to the boiler, instead of an injector, and probably as well as an axle or cross head driven feed pump.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DonB said:

No one has identified the purpose of the spoked wheel on the side of the loco.

My thoughts are =  Reversing gear operation ?,  Brake adjustment ? , shaker for firebox grate. ?,  Wind up the spring ?

Thats the flywheel of a steam driven pump for delivering the  feedwater into the boiler. The engine has feedwater heated by exhaust steam, like a lot of Beattie LSWR engines. Normally the boiler feed is done by Giffard injectors, but this needs cold water going into the injector to function, and here the feed has been warmed, to try and increase efficiency.

• Informative/Useful 2