2 minutes ago, Northroader said:

And there’s “Proof House”, so called because it’s next to Proof House Junction.

8BFDB7A0-B7C8-4743-BD79-18B1C5C2BC97.jpeg.0134d5585e013260704daa9c13e94f21.jpeg

Didn't Portillo go and fire off some shotguns there on one of his Bradshaw programmes?

• Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Northroader said:

And there’s “Proof House”, so called because it’s next to Proof House Junction.

8BFDB7A0-B7C8-4743-BD79-18B1C5C2BC97.jpeg.0134d5585e013260704daa9c13e94f21.jpeg

The view of which from the railway is a highlight of any visit to Brum.

Another quality building in view from the line ...

1761779227_BirminghamCurzon_Street_railway_station-3July2009-Copy.jpg.7d3167908ec70c8ab02d683a878768da.jpg

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

What wonderful colour renditions in those transparencies.

Agreed, absolutely fabulous!

As for guns, I used to ride a product of the Birmingham Small Arms factory! A pushbike btw.

They seemed to translate their excellence at forming gun barrels into the parallel skill of forming bicycle (frame) tubes, then attaching an engine and then later adding a parallel frame and two more wheels!

Those were the days.

When every town or city had at least one bicycle maker of note.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, indeed, but the Brummie on the Great Western poster appeared to be laying into his gun barrel with a hammer.

Many is the time I've looked down on the Proof House from a cross-city line train awaiting its turn into New Street.

As I commented on a thread that had drifted onto discussion of Curzon Street in its blue-era days as a parcels depot, the London & Birmingham station block stands forlorn if well-scrubbed in the middle of a post-industrial wasteland.

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

I like the "characterisations" of the various cities and towns along the routes.  Although Liverpool and Bristol have ships reflecting their status as seaports, Liverpool might also reflect Gerry Marsdens later advice to take a "ferry 'cross the Mersey" to get from Liverpool to Birkenhead Woodside. possibly quicker (or at least you wouldn't have to get up as early) than getting a connecting carriage via Manchester...!

The other figures are pretty self explanatory. I like Reading chap with his Huntly&Palmer biscuits, but I can't work out what the bloke for Birkenhead is typifying.  They look like fruit baskets, but of what?  I would have thought that Birkenhead would have perhaps been more associated with shipbuilding or the import of beef cattle from Ireland. Oh well....

And do you think the Welsh Ladies cloak was made by the Manchester mill girl?

:)

Its the geezer representing Bath that has me puzzled. He looks like he's in a Pride march. I mean a wig, tights and ankle boots? What's with Bath to get a figure like that?

James - more from Roger Farnworth on King's Lynn:

https://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/10/21/early-railway-history-in-kings-lynn/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Martin S-C said:

Its the geezer representing Bath that has me puzzled. He looks like he's in a Pride march. I mean a wig, tights and ankle boots? What's with Bath to get a figure like that?

Beau-Nash.jpg.0eb26b480ba150bc0f960f93445ab3d8.jpg

1 minute ago, Martin S-C said:

James - more from Roger Farnworth on King's Lynn:

https://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/10/21/early-railway-history-in-kings-lynn/

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

"Yes, indeed, but the Brummie on the Great Western poster appeared to be laying into his gun barrel with a hammer."

Many shotgun barrels were made of hand forged strips of iron and steel that produced a pattern resembling Damascus steel blades. It was however done before the stock was attached.  http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2010/06/barrel-making-pattern-welded-or.html

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Beau Brummell too. He probably took the waters.

Foppish dandyism generally crops up as a fashion every now and then, early 1980s for instance, IIRC. We’re probably due for an outbreak of it sometime soon.

8558B539-E76C-4B2A-80E5-0B07D86CCAF1.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

I'm going to latch onto all the above aristocratic Whiggery by posting more about Birkenhead.

A great disappointment to me arriving as a student in Liverpool in 1955 was riding the ferry across to Woodside in expectation of savouring shiny green Castles preening themselves for actually having reached the Mersey all the way from Paddington (via Wales).

I never ever did see any GW engine at the buffers in Woodside's austere timber platformed concourse - just through the gothic arch from Birkenhead Corpy's romantic old Edwardian coal burning ferries. All I ever found were grubby LMS class 4 tanks I was thoroughly bored by back home.

On the other hand, the shiny green SR stock propelled in from the carriage sidings just outside on alternate days seemed exotically sub-tropical.

57xx accreditation                                                                                      47xx accreditation

I rowed on the Birkenhead West Float Dock (this is the Whig bit)* twice a week (1939 LMS electric Mersey tunnel stock from L'pool Central). On the walk to the boathouse  one could encounter GW panniers at street level (and occasionally even 2-8-0s) as compensation.

dh

*was the guy with the boxes carrying fruit and veg from the Wirral? Including "Cavendish bananas" from the Whig aristocrats' Float docks ? 

Edited by AY Mod
Please don't copy and upload other's images, just post a hyperlink.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, runs as required said:

I'm going to latch onto all the above aristocratic Whiggery by posting more about Birkenhead.

Was Nash a Whig? He certainly wasn't an aristocrat. I would have assumed from his milieu - Oxford, Bath - that he was a Tory?

On 26/10/2019 at 09:16, brack said:

I'd heard a story a while back regarding indian influence for the jones goods. Turns out the web may be more tangled than we thought, and less CME dependent.

43268656475_4da4989ab3_b.jpg

Dubs built this in 1889-1890. L class for nizams state railway. Hendrie, the chief draughtsman at lochgorm when the jones goods were ordered in 1893, had previously worked at Dubs as a leading draughtsman, and at Sharp Stewart before that (previous to which he'd started out at lochgorm). So perhaps it was his design, inspired by work he'd done at Dubs, agreed by Jones and ordered from his old friends at SS. In which case, credit to Jones for recruiting someone with experience further afield.

Coincidentally the river class was also known to be based on a previous design for india.

Going back to last Saturday on page 852, I'm pleased to say that I've found the brass loco I referred to, here it is:

1695465199_BrassLoco1.jpg.9b49846be2ce2ba92ff47066867ccddc.jpg

952513817_BrassLoco2.jpg.28d2f925d585555f0a0ea5456b36b696.jpg

Its standing on some Hornby set track for a Boxfile mini layout that will eventually have the rails set in a cobbled surface, surrounded by factory buildings (a diced up Metcalfe "Small Factory" kit).  I've no idea about the history of the loco, though I got it from a Scout jumble sale for about 1 shilling, before we had 5 pees....

Its amazing how the thread has galloped ahead since I was here earlier this morning, with the discussion of "The Code of the Woosters", etc. Its one of my favourite Jeeves and Wooster stories.  I'd just like to add the description of Sir Watkyn Bassett drinking soup, sounding like "the Scotch Express entering a tunnel"....

I also like Mr Eds Ditchling sketch....

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Does it move? Dividing 16.5 mm by 5'6" I get exactly 3 mm/ft, which looks as if it is what it might be, if anything.

Yes, you do.

Having discussed his Model Rail North West Frontier scheme with Paul Lunn, he hit on the idea of using 3mm scale locos on OO/HO track. 

This looks Indian, therefore 5'6", to me.

56 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Going back to last Saturday on page 852, I'm pleased to say that I've found the brass loco I referred to, here it is:

1695465199_BrassLoco1.jpg.9b49846be2ce2ba92ff47066867ccddc.jpg

952513817_BrassLoco2.jpg.28d2f925d585555f0a0ea5456b36b696.jpg

Its standing on some Hornby set track for a Boxfile mini layout that will eventually have the rails set in a cobbled surface, surrounded by factory buildings (a diced up Metcalfe "Small Factory" kit).  I've no idea about the history of the loco, though I got it from a Scout jumble sale for about 1 shilling, before we had 5 pees....

Its amazing how the thread has galloped ahead since I was here earlier this morning, with the discussion of "The Code of the Woosters", etc. Its one of my favourite Jeeves and Wooster stories.  I'd just like to add the description of Sir Watkyn Bassett drinking soup, sounding like "the Scotch Express entering a tunnel"....

I also like Mr Eds Ditchling sketch....

In fact, it looks rather like this Vulcan 

1045003570_VulcanFoundry4-6-02202-2211of19075ft6ingaugeBombayBarodaCentralIndiaRailway01.jpg.586462a61ca96dde25d7aa69114541cb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Does it move? Dividing 16.5 mm by 5'6" I get exactly 3 mm/ft, which looks as if it is what it might be, if anything.

Yes, the wheels and motion move freely when pushed along a straight length of track.  Naturally it won't go around curves!

9 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, you do.

Having discussed his Model Rail North West Frontier scheme with Paul Lunn, he hit on the idea of using 3mm scale locos on OO/HO track. 

This looks Indian, therefore 5'6", to me.

In fact, it looks rather like this Vulcan 

1045003570_VulcanFoundry4-6-02202-2211of19075ft6ingaugeBombayBarodaCentralIndiaRailway01.jpg.586462a61ca96dde25d7aa69114541cb.jpg

It does, doesn't it. Or at least a free interpretation of the type!

• Like 1

As you can see from the holes on boiler and buffer beam (which are threaded), it had handrails, buffers and couplings.  Its not a completely cast lump as the boiler is brazed on, you can see the colour of the brazing metal between the boiler and the splashers.  Given the overall appearance, its been expertly made and finished.

A toolroom job or exercise?

I take it the main body/tender piece is a single brass casting?

I'm not sure.  I'll have a closer look at the construction later.

Edited by Hroth