• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Donw said:

Whenever watching films/tv I am more than willing to suspend disbelief so I can enjoy the story. I do not try to recognise the locations and if I do ignore the thought unless the location is the right one for the story.

My personal favourite is "The Password is Courage", which was obviously filmed in England.

I like it mostly because they wrecked English stock in the railway scenes, and there are no models: real stuff was wrecked and you get some wonderful views of how things were made.

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Such a waste. 

1 minute ago, Northroader said:

It was only London Midland stuff.

It was destined for scrap anyway: the film was released in 1962.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Ah, black and white silent film, those were the days.

yes, you had to go an look for a politician to hear them. No it's hit the mute button all the time..

Amuse yourselves, as I have done, by looking up Edwardian election posters.

One of the big issues was "Tariff Reform" aka protectionism v. Free Trade.  The Liberal Party were straight Free Traders, of course, but the Conservatives were split, with its liberal wing supporting free trade.

Both sides indulged in a lot of gloom about what would happen if the other side won.   The Tariff reform side suggested that cheap foreign imports would cause mass unemployment, whereas free traders suggested that tariffs would push up the price of goods and impoverish the working man.

To illustrate, I reproduce one sally from each side.

307626540_FreetradePosterstop_thief.png.e30ff35b230e0d5702915a749045a5c4.png

This one warns against the peril of free trade in the form of a train, complete with a birdcage brake and a lower quadrant signal!

1740970845_TariffReformLeaguePoster01.jpg.4c2ca46f8c24b544d8558d36db743356.jpg

This Tariff Reform one  is worthy of inclusion, not just because interestingly it looks with approbation to a protectionist USA, but because it includes the line "keep your manhood at home", which, whatever my views on international trade and the domestic economy might be, I cannot but feel represents prudent counsel. 

1433228730_TariffReformPoster02.jpg.988ca8a7be924fccb2f49afb80edef5d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

What film is that actually from, looks like a young Ian McShane.

Looks more like Dirk Bogarde to me.

Of course I remember him best as 'Boy' Browning, "we'll seize the bridges with thunderclap surprise, it's all a question of bridges" 

Whatever the messages, I prefer Edwardian election graphic-style to the sort of thing we get these days ......... although, thinking about it, do we get election posters at all, or has it all gone on line, with things being served to your (not mine, 'cos I don't have one) Facebook account, artificial-intelligence-tailored to press your particular buttons based on age, location, shoe size, the last eleven things you bought on-line etc etc?

(My next incoming email will probably be a bot-designed retro-poster, urging me to vote this way or that on 12th December)

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Looks more like Dirk Bogarde to me.

Of course I remember him best as 'Boy' Browning, "we'll seize the bridges with thunderclap surprise, it's all a question of bridges" 

I could see Ian McShane as he was in Battle of Britain with a big jumper and superimposing that onto that picture, if it is Dirk Bogarde then that explains why it is black and white.  I am too young to remember B/W films at the cinema.

I am trying to figure out why some of the signs are in English - because its meant to be an alternate reality Britain or cheap/lazy filming of a what would have been a fleeting view of the station in a film and they thought no-one would notice.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I could see Ian McShane as he was in Battle of Britain with a big jumper and superimposing that onto that picture, if it is Dirk Bogarde then that explains why it is black and white.  I am too young to remember B/W films at the cinema.

I am trying to figure out why some of the signs are in English - because its meant to be an alternate reality Britain or cheap/lazy filming of a what would have been a fleeting view of the station in a film and they thought no-one would notice.

Has the look of one of those publicity shots taken on set, so I suspect the English signs are intended to be out of shot in the film. Not, I think, a film I've seen.  Someone , Regularity (?), made reference to a film title earlier.  

At any rate, it's not Ill Met by Moonlight, which is one Bogarde war-flick I have seen.  

6 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

The film is, I guess from what I was searching when I found it the aforementioned The Password is Courage though I honestly don't know. All I was amused by was the juxtaposition of a HAL and Nazi insignia.

Aha, thanks

1480514853_ThePasswordisCourage01.jpg.b93ed949f3c82991cdf8e2ca3503b091.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Amuse yourselves, as I have done, by looking up Edwardian election posters.

Thank you, they amused me too (very pleased the Labradors didn't eat the Amazon delivery, your new mouse has been clicking overtime.)

The John Bull manhood one was truly bizarre - they must have been Lilliputian people on those tiny ships leaving for New York. (Is this not the very opposite of what the BJs Unionist party advocates today about immigration ?) 

Artistically I enjoyed the hand coming through the window the most.  What exactly was under that glass dome? My grandmother had a German skeleton clock 

under such a dome on her parlour mantelpiece.

dh

• Like 1