11 minutes ago, runs as required said:

My grandmother had a German skeleton clock under such a dome on her parlour mantelpiece.

I've a pre-grouping (but post-war) German longcase clock, I think it arrived here as reparations, or something...

• Funny 2

18 minutes ago, runs as required said:

What exactly was under that glass dome? My grandmother had a German skeleton clock under such a dome on her parlour mantelpiece.

Attempt #2

The thing under the glass dome looks more like a model of the Keep at Castle Aching!

The clock on the mantlepiece looks like a miniaturised Doric Arch, if you could imagine a huge clock face between the columns at Euston.....   The funny thing is, that sort of clock often contained an imported American movement.

43 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Well, Tariff Reformers need not have panicked - It'll be stopped at the next 'box because it hasn't got a tail lamp or 'LV' board.

Will that now be part of UK border agency training?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

You can see how they were thinking "big ugly thing with smoke deflectors? Yep, that'll do for a German loco"

Except that the deflectors must be costume for the film - it's an LMS Standard 4P 2-6-4T of 1929.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Regularity said:

My personal favourite is "The Password is Courage", which was obviously filmed in England.

I like it mostly because they wrecked English stock in the railway scenes, and there are no models: real stuff was wrecked and you get some wonderful views of how things were made.

I like The Train for proper wrecking of things...

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Amuse yourselves, as I have done, by looking up Edwardian election posters.

One of the big issues was "Tariff Reform" aka protectionism v. Free Trade.  The Liberal Party were straight Free Traders, of course, but the Conservatives were split, with its liberal wing supporting free trade.

Both sides indulged in a lot of gloom about what would happen if the other side won.   The Tariff reform side suggested that cheap foreign imports would cause mass unemployment, whereas free traders suggested that tariffs would push up the price of goods and impoverish the working man.

To illustrate, I reproduce one sally from each side.

307626540_FreetradePosterstop_thief.png.e30ff35b230e0d5702915a749045a5c4.png

She's screaming "NO NO take the child, the bacon costs a fortune!!!"

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I shall look out for that. Holst and a brass band - not much could beat that.

I gather the Nocturne is also available in strings.

I loved the music and was fascinated by the circumstances of it's creation; a BBC commission for an annual brass band competition.  Won that year (1928), Wiki said, by the Black Dyke Mills Band, which was still very much a name to conjure with when I was a lad, and probably still is. 

The band, started by a mill owning French hornist in the Nineteenth Century, was obviously a big noise (ahem) in the brass band fraternity long before 1928 and I was delighted to learn that it made one of the first brass band recordings, in 1904!

Should CA have a band? it's a bit small and bucolic perhaps for that.  Perhaps the Aching Constable Works could have a band? 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Perhaps the Aching Constable Works could have a band? 

And an association football team. An early association football team was that organised by workers at the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway's Newton Heath carriage & wagon works, called Newton Heath LYR Football Club. After some initial success, it struggled financially until, with new investment in 1902, it changed its name to Manchester United. Similar, if not quite such illustrious, tales could be told of numerous other railway works AFCs.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I gather the Nocturne is also available in strings.

I loved the music and was fascinated by the circumstances of it's creation; a BBC commission for an annual brass band competition.  Won that year (1928), Wiki said, by the Black Dyke Mills Band, which was still very much a name to conjure with when I was a lad, and probably still is. 

The band, started by a mill owning French hornist in the Nineteenth Century, was obviously a big noise (ahem) in the brass band fraternity long before 1928 and I was delighted to learn that it made one of the first brass band recordings, in 1904!

Should CA have a band? it's a bit small and bucolic perhaps for that.  Perhaps the Aching Constable Works could have a band? 

Fakenham has a band though their numbers are somewhat depleted...

http://www.fakenhamtownband.com

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1