48 minutes ago, wagonman said:

Fakenham has a band though their numbers are somewhat depleted...

http://www.fakenhamtownband.com

Well, as we know, Achingham is Fakenham's alter ego, so if Fakenham sustained a band, it seems only fair to allow Achingham to do so.

The clincher, however, was when I read the following via the link you kindly supplied:

"Formed in 1881 by 6 men in a pub" 

Obviously we need a WNR band too!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The clincher, however, was when I read the following via the link you kindly supplied:

"Formed in 1881 by 6 men in a pub" 

Obviously we need a WNR band too!

6 men in a pub who can play instruments, or just think they can?

So long as it doesn't end up like one of those American Kazoo Bands....

• Funny 3

43 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Another suggestion, as it’s that time of year..

367DACA9-74A3-4589-9EF0-6B90CE7EBFB6.jpeg

Strictly speaking, there's another couple of weeks before its that time of year, unless you're in Retail, where its been "That time of year" since late August.

But as you seem "Heaven-bent" to get us into the mood....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwbwsy5vNZk

• Agree 1

‘Duck End’ is the name of the team that make the vintage outdoor G1 railway films - google or YouTube should find them.

You might be able to conjure-up a church band for one of the more remote villages that hasn’t yet invested in an organ for its small place of worship. By 1905 there were probably very few left, because in the 1860/70s small mass-produced organs became available, and hymn singing was being dragooned by standard hymn books, but the English Church Band was quite different from what we now think of as a ‘village band’, probably with strings, woodwind, maybe only one ‘brass’ horn, and, if you were lucky, some ancient non-brass horn (I guess that actually counts as woodwind).

Maybe they are playing outside for some reason, otherwise they might be invisible and inaudible in a 4mm/ft church.

PS: have we discussed this before? I vaguely recall that we have.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

You might be able to conjure-up a church band for one of the more remote villages that hasn’t yet invested in an organ for its small place of worship. By 1905 there were probably very few left, because in the 1860/70s small mass-produced organs became available, but the English Church Band was quite different from what we now think of as a ‘village band’, probably with strings, maybe only one ‘brass’ horn, and, if you were lucky, some ancient non-brass horn.

Maybe they are playing outside for some reason, otherwise they might be invisible and inaudible in a 4mm/ft church.

PS: have we discussed this before? I vaguely recall that we have.

There was some discussion of a rustic mechanicals band. I had thought Modelu had produced some figures, but cannot find them now.

14 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

‘Duck End’ is the name of the team that make the vintage outdoor G1 railway films - google or YouTube should find them.

Ah yes, thank you ....

• Like 4

James - a long time back on this thread you posted photographs of rural people and asked the parish council to guess the dates. I recall that most thought they were pre-WWI when in fact they were the 1930s. I think there is a link to the post on the first page but its broken (for me at least). Do you know which page it was on? I wanted to link to it show someone who is asking about 1930s model figures for a railway project. Thanks and sorry for the effort this may put you to.

27 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

You might be able to conjure-up a church band for one of the more remote villages that hasn’t yet invested in an organ for its small place of worship. By 1905 there were probably very few left, because in the 1860/70s small mass-produced organs became available, and hymn singing was being dragooned by standard hymn books, but the English Church Band was quite different from what we now think of as a ‘village band’, probably with strings, woodwind, maybe only one ‘brass’ horn, and, if you were lucky, some ancient non-brass horn (I guess that actually counts as woodwind).

The best description of the Church Band is of the Mellstock Quire in Thomas Hardys "Under the Greenwood Tree", if you want to hear an approximation of what they might have sounded like, Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band have a go....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7AIf--i1Y0

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

James - a long time back on this thread you posted photographs of rural people and asked the parish council to guess the dates. I recall that most thought they were pre-WWI when in fact they were the 1930s. I think there is a link to the post on the first page but its broken (for me at least). Do you know which page it was on? I wanted to link to it show someone who is asking about 1930s model figures for a railway project. Thanks and sorry for the effort this may put you to.

Hi Martin,

When New Improved RMWeb was created, it destroyed all the links that related to post numbers, so I think those Index entries are dead and I have not replaced them all.

Here, I think, is what you were after. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The best description of the Church Band is of the Mellstock Quire in Thomas Hardys "Under the Greenwood Tree", if you want to hear an approximation of what they might have sounded like, Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band have a go....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7AIf--i1Y0

Yes, I recall that Maddy prior, who could be quite earthy, did an album of Eighteenth Century church music.  I've never heard it and am grateful for the link. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Hi Martin,

When New Improved RMWeb was created, it destroyed all the links that related to post numbers, so I think those Index entries are dead and I have not replaced them all.

Here, I think, is what you were after. 

Correct, that was the post. Thank you very much.

West Gallery Music, that’s the term used to describe pre-organ, pre-prescribed-style kind of church music....... I couldn’t remember it before.

Donkeys years ago, the BBC made a programme about the music that Hardy includes in his stories, called “The sweetness of a man of strings”. I don’t know whether it can be found on-Line, but if it can, listen do.

There was also what might be called a “musically illustrated” version of Lark Rise to Candleford, performed as a stage play, which toured small theatres in the Oxford-Bedford belt about twenty five years ago [Shock! Horror! When I checked, it proved to be nearer forty years ago!], and that was another thing that captured the old style village band very well, and deliberately contrasted it with the brassier, more bombastic style of music from groups like the Salvationists. One of the postmen a salvationist or similar? I recall that his featured song was “Dare to be a Daniel”, which is a proper belter when played straight (some bands play a jazzed version that nobody could sing to!).

This must be a recording of the play ...... I didn’t know it was an NT production ...... it was in a converted barn when I saw/heard it.

4EAF6EDA-400D-4EA9-B26A-8364D2FA27A9.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Is mid-November a particularly noteworthy season for Salvation Army-ists?

Hohoho to you too, I suppose I’m falling into the way of modern thinking, now the Christmas trees are up outside the town hall, and the Fayre is on Friday. Edwardian times things would be a bit slower to get nearer to the 25th, and folks singing to a euphonium on the street corner, although coming round pubs at night selling the “War Cry” seems to have gone out of favour. “Dare to be a Daniel” - that was William’s favourite song in the Richmal Crompton books, wasn’t it?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Oh well, thats put me in the mood for a good hot cup mug of tea and a mince pie!

Slurppppp.....

Well since we are in that sort of mood, allow me to substitute the tea for a mug of Gluehwein/van chaud/mulled wine.  Given that last Thursday we had a 40cm fall of heavy wet snow that brought down hundreds ( no exaggeration) of trees (still in leaf and therefore gathered said snow like a sieve), which in turn blocked roads, brought down the power lines , and cut through telephone lines like butter, I think one of those is in order.

We lost power for the best part of 2 days and telephone/internet for a further couple of days.   In such circumstances I find it mildly amusing the near melt-down reaction when in the summer parts of the UK lost their power supply for a whole 30 minutes or so.

• Friendly/supportive 7

salvation army, brass band, holst ......

I can’t do YouTube links, so please find on YouTube “Felixstowe Salvation Army Band and The International Staff Band”, a full outdoor concert, and at 12:00 try very hard not to stand-up and sing along in your loudest voice ...... you won’t be able to resist!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

West Gallery Music, that’s the term used to describe pre-organ, pre-prescribed-style kind of church music....... I couldn’t remember it before.

Donkeys years ago, the BBC made a programme about the music that Hardy includes in his stories, called “The sweetness of a man of strings”. I don’t know whether it can be found on-Line, but if it can, listen do.

There was also what might be called a “musically illustrated” version of Lark Rise to Candleford, performed as a stage play, which toured small theatres in the Oxford-Bedford belt about twenty five years ago, and that was another thing that captured the old style village band very well, and deliberately contrasted it with the brassier, more bombastic style of music from groups like the Salvationists. One of the postmen a salvationist or similar? I recall that his featured song was “Dare to be a Daniel”, which is a proper belter when played straight (some bands play a jazzed version that nobody could sing to!).

This must be a recording of the play ...... I didn’t know it was an NT production ...... it was in a converted barn when I saw/heard it.

4EAF6EDA-400D-4EA9-B26A-8364D2FA27A9.jpeg

And to complete our circular journey, The Albion Band was formed by bass player Ashley Hutchings, who also played with Steeleye Span, who's vocalist was Maddy Prior!  Hutchings was also in the first (I think) incarnation of Fairport Convention.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

Well since we are in that sort of mood, allow me to substitute the tea for a mug of Gluehwein/van chaud/mulled wine.  Given that last Thursday we had a 40cm fall of heavy wet snow that brought down hundreds ( no exaggeration) of trees (still in leaf and therefore gathered said snow like a sieve), which in turn blocked roads, brought down the power lines , and cut through telephone lines like butter, I think one of those is in order.

We lost power for the best part of 2 days and telephone/internet for a further couple of days.   In such circumstances I find it mildly amusing the near melt-down reaction when in the summer parts of the UK lost their power supply for a whole 30 minutes or so.

Poor you!

I used to joke about the Continent being cut off by fog in the Channel.

I don't any more

[sad face]

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Inconvenient rather than a disaster.  We have a wood burner and while not designed to heat the house it kept the living room warm.  Equally we have a bottle gas cooking hob which meant we could still cook and have a hot drink - more than some had.  

Thankfully there seem to have been few personal injuries across the 4 departements affected, but in the nearest town, one of the huge plane trees, that provides pleasant shade in the summer, simply snapped at the main  trunk about 3m off the ground, doing the Merc van parked underneath no go whatsoever.  

• Friendly/supportive 3

10 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

Not to impugn the Sal Val, but I find it awfully hard to appreciate anything a charity might endeavour to achieve when it has quite the reputation for being anti-LGBT, for not allowing people in its shelters to remain longer when asked... 

Examples of behaviour such as:

I hate to bring the mood down in Castle Aching, a lovely neighbourhood, but I just feel like people really ought to be aware of some of the behaviour of the Salvation Army before they go supporting the charity uninformed. 

This article has a better list of references than I've been able to give, and I'd urge you to give it a read. 

- Alex 

Alex,

My ignorance of the Salvation Army is slightly less profound thanks to your post.

I'm afraid that Christian groups will only accelerate the degree to which they become irrelevant minorities if they cleave to exclusionist views based on unnecessarily crass doctrinal interpretation of scripture.

In this life, you choose your God and any God to whom I'd give the time of day would love us all, and because of, not despite, who we are.

J

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2