On 30/11/2019 at 08:02, monkeysarefun said:

Built in 1887 when the trip from Central station to Campbelltown was 4 minutes faster than it is today..

1606289_1514672685424738_1449448324_o.jpg.97f67f817a4ba81ea3faaeba163cbbcb.jpg

*Notes the minimalist water crane and wonders if he could get away with a piece of brass tube and a length of spare yellow wiring on his layout*

• Like 1

On 03/12/2019 at 05:06, monkeysarefun said:

I highly recommend Zomboat, based on the H G Wells story about how zombies can't get you if you are tootling down a canal on a narrow boat.

Just got round to watching the trailer.  I loved the comment at the end, comparing the speed of the narrow boat with the traditionally lurching zombies; "We're faster. Marginally faster"

Sounds like it could be funny.  How does one watch it?

56 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Here in Melbourne, Australia, one of our more notorious bus and truck eating bridges has its own Facebook page. Still given the sheer number of trucks and buses it has devoured over the years perhaps it's earned it. :scared:

https://www.facebook.com/montylimbo/

Excellent, a sort of Darwin Awards page for lorries and 'buses. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Here in Melbourne, Australia, one of our more notorious bus and truck eating bridges has its own Facebook page. Still given the sheer number of trucks and buses it has devoured over the years perhaps it's earned it. :scared:

https://www.facebook.com/montylimbo/

We Do have Railway bridges, in Norfolk.. they just eat Vehicles in different ways...

1555945958_72462112_728443734234826_6670941073843421184_n1.jpg.4ccae37dfb18a2f52b4b179f44525b56[1].jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 10

34 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Locks might be a problem.

On a summer Saturday, near a hire boat base, they usually are...

33 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

*Notes the minimalist water crane and wonders if he could get away with a piece of brass tube and a length of spare yellow wiring on his layout*

Would it fill the tender quicker than the boiler consuming the water?  :jester:

Just now, TheQ said:

We Do have Railway bridges, in Norfolk.. they just eat Vehicles in different ways...

You'd think they'd know.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

On a summer Saturday, near a hire boat base, they usually are...

Not in NOOORfolk old Bor, no (in use) locks on the Broads 136 miles of waterway without them... until they restore the Dilham and North Walsham Canal or the Coltishall to Aylsham Navigation.. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Not in NOOORfolk old Bor, no (in use) locks on the Broads 136 miles of waterway without them...

I know, I've been there (Bure and Thurne), the bridge at Potter functions in a similar way to a canal lock on summer Saturdays!  Narrowboats are in the minority too, and apart from the once numerous yachts the main boating population appears to be fat plastic bathtubs...  :scared:

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I know, I've been there (Bure and Thurne), the bridge at Potter functions in a similar way to a canal lock on summer Saturdays!  Narrowboats are in the minority too, and apart from the once numerous yachts the main boating population appears to be fat plastic bathtubs...  :scared:

Very nice it is above the Bridge, the majority of the Hullabaloos boats are too big to get through.

I go through in style (pics are not me but you get the idea..)

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Very nice it is above the Bridge, the majority of the Hullabaloos boats are too big to get through.

I go through in style (pics are not me but you get the idea..)

Hmm, I'd have thought quanting would be better, or just shooting "Sir Garnet" style...

20 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Keeps them out of Horsey Mere I should imagine.

Like the pic, a very dynamic passage!

Just now, St Enodoc said:

Hmm, I'd have thought quanting would be better, or just shooting "Sir Garnet" style...

They are shooting the bridge.  Come up to it under sail, drop sails and mast as fast as possible just before the bridge and through.  They'll be going with the tide, naturally!  Quanting is for wusses!

The chap in the bow has probably got the paddle for a spot of light fending and to adjust the aim...

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

They are shooting the bridge.  Come up to it under sail, drop sails and mast as fast as possible just before the bridge and through.  They'll be going with the tide, naturally!  Quanting is for wusses!

The chap in the bow has probably got the paddle for a spot of light fending and to adjust the aim...

Most of them were coming head to wind, stopping at the bank, dropping the sail, then dropping the mast by which time they were no longer under way. The furious paddling didn't look terribly efficient to me. A few got it right, although the tide didn't seem to be helping much.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

20 minutes ago, Hroth said:

They are allowed to paddle or quant through to the next bridge as well, a quant is definately easier, the waters only about 5ft deep at the most in the allowed "you dont have to sail" area, (The sign by the foot bridge to another sign after the second bridge.) 

yep I've used a paddle "fender" under there..and to fend off other boats..

The problem is if they arrive at the wrong time the tide may be with them one way and against the other, getting the tides right are the main thing in the race..

Low tide at Potter  is 13:11 on 29th May next year, So the absolute fastest boats may, if the wind is strong enough try to getfrom Horning, to Acle and beyond in say 3 hours going down against the incoming  slight tide, then coming back with the strong tide. Everyone else will do the two short legs then Potter with the strong tide up through the bridge, to reach the  Hickling mark  at high tide, then return with the ebb.

A little confession, I officate in the race now, if you observe just before the foot bridge there is a boat with an orange banner on the side, that's a guardship to which all boat have to report as they go past. I control the one on Hickling Broad, by the bouy where they turn and come back down through the bridges. It gets real fun with boats going both ways. the faster boats can easily do the bridges and back  in under an hour in a wind like that..

if you want to have a go at the race yourself... http://www.3rr.uk/

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

They are allowed to paddle or quant through to the next bridge as well, a quant is definately easier, the waters only about 5ft deep at the most in the allowed "you dont have to sail" area, (The sign by the foot bridge to another sign after the second bridge.) 

yep I've used a paddle "fender" under there..and to fend off other boats..

The problem is if they arrive at the wrong time the tide may be with them one way and against the other, getting the tides right are the main thing in the race..

Low tide at Potter  is 13:11 on 29th May next year, So the absolute fastest boats may, if the wind is strong enough try to getfrom Horning, to Acle and beyond in say 3 hours going down against the incoming  slight tide, then coming back with the strong tide. Everyone else will do the two short legs then Potter with the strong tide up through the bridge, to reach the  Hickling mark  at high tide, then return with the ebb.

A little confession, I officate in the race now, if you observe just before the foot bridge there is a boat with an orange banner on the side, that's a guardship to which all boat have to report as they go past. I control the one on Hickling Broad, by the bouy where they turn and come back down through the bridges. It gets real fun with boats going both ways. the faster boats can easily do the bridges and back  in under an hour in a wind like that..

if you want to have a go at the race yourself... http://www.3rr.uk/

My comment was just from the still, I'd not had the opportunity to view the video until now.  A fascinating variety of approaches to the bridge, and some "brave" sailing!

• Agree 2

On 29/11/2019 at 08:36, Nearholmer said:

Old age?

Ive more or less been mentally permanently ‘out to lunch’ since  that was posted 6 days ago, but having just returned home from an extremely wet drive over the North Pennines to the strange Art Deco ex Manchester Corporation Haweswater hotel (thoroughly recommended for a drink but not a meal), may I record a view from a fellow octogenarian:

No one over the age of 60 should be allowed a vote”

dh

• RMweb Premium

Not really wanting to return to politics, but what happened here was that a lot of older retired folk believed that spending money on welfare would raise taxes and thereby affect their retirement income from investments.  So they pretty much solidly and mindlessly voted for our Tory party who idolise everything the American Republicans do and wanted to bring the same thing here.  At the last election one of the idiot Tory spokemen brightly commented in a speech that, 'Once we have the economy sorted out then we will be looking at homelessness and child poverty.'   And almost immediately they lost what remaining favour they tenuously had with the electorate.  They attempted a dirty smear campaign against the leaders of our Labour party and got found out for telling lies and utterly crashed and burned.

To bring things back to railways our Tory party had been saying for some time that the railways had been losing money and were in a dire state.  Only when our new Labour government was able to have a look at all the reports the Tory idiots had been hiding they discovered our railways had been making a significant profit for some time.  It was the same idiots that said that our lovely French designed electric locomotives on the North Island Main Trunk Line were too expensive to overhaul so they purchased Chinese built diesel locomotives instead that all fell apart like $2 Shop toys a bare few months after they arrived.  Great decision there, we have hydroelectric electricity generation and we have to import diesel, - so somebody in the Tory playroom must have not being paying attention in their 4th Form accounting class.

But don't get me started or I'll bore you all to tears...........

As5THDN.jpg

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, runs as required said:

No one over the age of 60 should be allowed a vote”

I've long held the view that no-one older than me should be allowed to vote.

5 minutes ago, Annie said:

got found out for telling lies and utterly crashed and burned.

Remind me where this political utopia is to be found?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Current evidence encourages my view that no-one other than me should be allowed to vote.

Anyway, as that is clearly not the case, I suspect that we are facing our next AD 410 moment. Welcome to the New Dark Ages.

And I had been feeling quite cheerful lately!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

24 minutes ago, Annie said:

somebody in the Tory playroom must have not being paying attention in their 4th Form accounting class.

Or a Marpellian sleazeball with "interests" in petrochemicals.

18 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's a bit harsh, but if they say of the leader of the "Government", "Oh he's a lovely man...", then perhaps a medical opinion should be sought...

11 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Welcome to the New Dark Ages.

Now you've got everyone down in the dumps!!!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1