Splendidly Classic interwar jigsaw/train-set box cover artwork!
It would be promising a tinplate 0-4-0 clockwork LNER tender loco and 3 trucks plus a circle of track inside.
Where might that high arched train-shed be on the old GCR system: Manchester Central?
But they look to be Glaswegian tenements outside St Enoch on the right - where in Ron Heggs’s Manchester Central thread we would looking across Lower Mosley St to tall red brick cotton warehouses near London Road. 
dh

PS

page 900 got dispatched pretty smartish!

I really wanted to ask CA parishioners about their instant accessing of pre-grouping info in Wikipaedia.

I do use Wiki a lot (triangulating what I sense is inaccurate) This past week it has been overpasted with a plea for financial crowd funding contributions.

I’d happily contribute but wife (who holds the purse strings) questions the safety of giving card details or Paypal info onto what maybe a “skin” fraud op.

Comments?

dh

6 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Splendidly Classic interwar jigsaw/train-set box cover artwork!
It would be promising a tinplate 0-4-0 clockwork LNER tender loco and 3 trucks plus a circle of track inside.
Where might that high arched train-shed be on the old GCR system: Manchester Central?
But they look to be Glaswegian tenements outside St Enoch on the right - where in Ron Heggs’s Manchester Central thread we would looking across Lower Mosley St to tall red brick cotton warehouses near London Road. 
dh

PS

page 900 got dispatched pretty smartish!

Yes Manchester Central as I understand it. It is from memory a Manchester train towards, of all places, the area of Norfolk Coast or other eastern destination, these engines not being much used on 'main line' work. Certainly LNER Manchester however. I knew exactly which station when I found the background pic but forget the details now.

I must find my W A Tuplin book about a B1 or B2 on the London GCR line, he thought them rather good, within certain limitations. A nicely-described cab ride with 80+ mph reached and 'on time' arrival except for a diversion near Marylebone. 

My books are all at hand normally but I am generally bed-ridden these days with effects of 45 years with wheelchair T5 para and stuff.

I DO enjoy the thread and hope not to offend.  Except a little, maybe. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, runs as required said:

I really wanted to ask CA parishioners about their instant accessing of pre-grouping info in Wikipaedia.

I do use Wiki a lot (triangulating what I sense is inaccurate) This past week it has been overpasted with a plea for financial crowd funding contributions.

I’d happily contribute but wife (who holds the purse strings) questions the safety of giving card details or Paypal info onto what maybe a “skin” fraud op.

Comments?

dh

I got the same request which was a bit offensive because I give every year anyway.

Algorithms rule the world.

I ignored it but your wife might be right.  A female friend I have has the same reservations about any unsolicited requests, as do I.

I'd be inclined only to give via a genuine website for Wiki.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, runs as required said:

Comments?

dh

Wikipedia has these fundraising campaigns from time to time. I've occasionally donated a pound or two with no ill effects. If in doubt, use a credit rather than debit card.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Comments?

dh

My gut feeling  is that it is legit. It doesn’t happen on the homepage, instead there is a plea embedded in the page. It also doesn’t happen when I am signed into Wikipedia. However I’d be interested to see what others think.

9 minutes ago, Talltim said:

My gut feeling  is that it is legit. It doesn’t happen on the homepage, instead there is a plea embedded in the page. It also doesn’t happen when I am signed into Wikipedia. However I’d be interested to see what others think.

I've donated a few times – definitely kosher when I did it, which is no guarantee it would always be so... Got a thank-you from 'Mr Wales' himself!

9 hours ago, Regularity said:

Probably C (Cardiff?) Miniature Railway, but it would be rather pleasant if it was Craig and Mertonford Railway...

Might even refer to Cagney, who produced the 4-4-0 used at Blakesley Hall.

Definitely not the Cwmtowy Mineral Railway which had (has?) nothing bigger than a Manning Wardle K class...

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Sorry, only just read through your post. One would like to think that what you say there is true but there are those who believe that "There is no God and Dawkins is his prophet"!

Apologies all, we had moved on quite successfully.

I must admit that I would feel a little offended if I was being lumped in with Dawkins. Dawkins early work e.g. The Selfish Gene is a masterwork in its arguments regarding how we, and all life, is determined by genetic imperatives however his later work and activities, as he became a showman and cottage industry, have taken us from the rationality of science to the irrationality of even bothering to get into arguments with religious fundamentalists. The scientific data is what it is and nothing can ever change that - a simple truth that the determined ignorance of religious fundamentalists will never change. Dawkins would have been wiser to stay out of what became for him, in my opinion, a publicly demeaning engagement.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Yes Manchester Central as I understand it. It is from memory a Manchester train towards, of all places, the area of Norfolk Coast or other eastern destination, these engines not being much used on 'main line' work. Certainly LNER Manchester however. I knew exactly which station when I found the background pic but forget the details now.

I must find my W A Tuplin book about a B1 or B2 on the London GCR line, he thought them rather good, within certain limitations. A nicely-described cab ride with 80+ mph reached and 'on time' arrival except for a diversion near Marylebone. 

My books are all at hand normally but I am generally bed-ridden these days with effects of 45 years with wheelchair T5 para and stuff.

I DO enjoy the thread and hope not to offend.  Except a little, maybe. :)

Thanks
Many seem to suggest Tuplin’s footplate stories are figments of his fertile imagination! But his was a refreshingly analytic style of critique as an antidote to the likes of Nock  - who must have churned out a book a week, even more than Barbara Cartland.

Yes , I agree about the thread, And a pinch of Piri-Piri always adds to the sauce

dh

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I must admit that I would feel a little offended if I was being lumped in with Dawkins. Dawkins early work e.g. The Selfish Gene is a masterwork in its arguments regarding how we, and all life, is determined by genetic imperatives however his later work and activities, as he became a showman and cottage industry, have taken us from the rationality of science to the irrationality of even bothering to get into arguments with religious fundamentalists. The scientific data is what it is and nothing can ever change that - a simple truth that the determined ignorance of religious fundamentalists will never change. Dawkins would have been wiser to stay out of what became for him, in my opinion, a publicly demeaning engagement.   

@Malcolm 0-6-0, I certainly wasn't wanting to lump you in with such views, merely to point out that fundamentalists come in various colours - where by "fundamentalist", I understand it is meant, someone who is so convinced of the rightness of their own position that they have become incapable of even trying to engage with another point of view - a failure of empathy. In that sense, fundamentalism is the besetting sin of our age.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

@Malcolm 0-6-0, I certainly wasn't wanting to lump you in with such views, merely to point out that fundamentalists come in various colours - where by "fundamentalist", I understand it is meant, someone who is so convinced of the rightness of their own position that they have become incapable of even trying to engage with another point of view - a failure of empathy. In that sense, fundamentalism is the besetting sin of our age.

Oh I don't know. There was a fair bit of fundamentalism about in religious groups before social media silos came along and began shouting past each other. A bit of US bible bashing  went on, but  equally there was a lot of common sense built generally around survival...

I tried to read Daphne du Maurier's 'Rebecca'   set in pre-Brunel deepest Cornwall and there was no room in the coach for fundamentalism, every character was 100% pure unalloyed miserable... 

Still, they had workhouses then. Everything is relative.  That last statement was told to me by an older brother who is a usually right. Or was when I was a child. I didn't know quite what he meant then. I still don't.  But I get the sentiment.   IOW  'mustn't grumble' and so on.  Oops I'm raving. Again.

Better go and create a picture, or watch the sleeping cat.

Edited by robmcg

18 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Strange that - mine is doing exactly the same thing.

Do you suppose there is a global network of cats which enables them to perform synchronised sleeping?  

Synchronised sleeping is not hard for cats – sleep seems to be their default setting.

• Agree 3

We pay out a lot to let sleeping cats lie. Ours cost a tenner as the last from a litter in Hetton-le-Hole, and has cost us a fortune since to live sleep the life of Reilly.

Our sleeping cat is the one furnishing that makes the room in which we happen to be in look and feel automatically warmer in these dark days

dh

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

43 minutes ago, runs as required said:

We pay out a lot to let sleeping cats lie. Ours cost a tenner as the last from a litter in Hetton-le-Hole, and has cost us a fortune since to live sleep the life of Reilly.

Our sleeping cat is the one furnishing that makes the room in which we happen to be in look and feel automatically warmer in these dark days

dh

Yes the odd somnolent moggy scattered about the sofa makes a house looked lived in.  :D

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Edwardian said:

900 pages (including at least a page-worth of my modelling - really must do better)!

By way of a Celebratory Feature, I saw this in a temporary exhibition on a recent foray to York.

It left me feeling that there was much more of interest concerning this model than the rather bland caption let on ....

Also, let's face it, Cosmo Bonsor is splendid name, and a great name for an engine, not least as it's the name of the man who engineered the SE&CR joint committee in 1899.  

"C M R"?

1848562292_IMG_5435-Copy.JPG.26b30ffb6f635fc3f35ed45230bde200.JPGIMG_5431.JPG.8ce7a3c1116cc33637ecf1d38e76f3ee.JPG

531288123_IMG_5434-Copy.JPG.3a2c422726e11cb1fac2f5b777dbc075.JPG

CMR?

"Redesigned time and time again" makes it sound like "Iron Girder", it should carry the initials A-M H R......

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Hroth said:

CMR?

Sorry, I am slow on the uptake. This model was built as a design feasibility study for William Marriott's proposed rebuilding of the M&GN ex-Cornwall Minerals Railway engines as six-coupled passenger engines for the increasingly heavy Midlands-Norfolk holiday traffic in the 1930s. Alas it came to nothing with the transfer of M&GN locomotive stock to the LNER, but not before the model had acquired an LNER-style cab and green paint.

Edited by Compound2632
Two ts in Marriott.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Do you suppose there is a global network of cats which enables them to perform synchronised sleeping?  

Not global, but perhaps on a more parochial scale;

Cat Chess

"This needs, as the playing area, something the size of a small village. Up to a dozen cats can take part. Each cat selects a vantage point - a roof, the coal house wall, a strategic corner or in quiet villages, the middle of the road - and sits there. You think it's just found a nice spot to sun itself until you realise that each cat can see the other cats. Moves are made in a sort of high-speed slink with the belly almost touching the ground. The actual rules are a little unclear to humans, but it would seem that the object of the game is to see every other cat while remaining unseen yourself. This is just speculation, however, and it may well be that the real game is going on at some mystically higher level unobtained by normal human minds, as in cricket."

From "The unadulterated cat, a campaign for real cats" by Terry Pratchett.

Edited by TT-Pete
Spelling, again.
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Our next door neighbours' cats  (one on each side, now both deceased, alas) both exercised running powers through our house. One memorable summer's day, one decided to come in the front and out the back, the other in the back and out the front. As we hadn't established single line token working, the slow and cautious manoeuvre by which they passed in the hall without either giving way or risking being lashed out at by the other was interesting to watch...

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I usually bung Wiki a tenner annually. 

Same.

11 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

11 hours ago, wagonman said:

Synchronised sleeping is not hard for cats – sleep seems to be their default setting.

4 hours ago, runs as required said:

3 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Yes the odd somnolent moggy scattered about the sofa makes a house looked lived in.  :D

Funny, two of my three are sat on the sofa in front of me. The other is sitting on my lap.

And yes, they do make the place much more homely. Though the Christmas decorations also help there.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The painting of the GC/LNE train that appeared a while ago is Manchester London Road (Piccadilly these days) there’s quite a distinctive office block at the end of the station. It’s also a more direct route going east than heading out from the Central.

69194901-5521-438F-8D00-CA62DF83EEC3.jpeg.f658c95d395cb22865b32f0c664bf470.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Funny, two of my three are sat on the sofa in front of me. The other is sitting on my lap.

And yes, they do make the place much more homely. Though the Christmas decorations also help there.

You put Christmas decorations on your CATS???

:crazy:

Edited by Hroth
Page 902. Tick tick tick...
  • Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, runs as required said:

Comments?

dh

I have donated to Wikipedia several times now using paypal. If is not for Wikipedia itself I probably wouldn't. Paypal will forward your name and address (so things you order can be sent to you) but not any financial details. I stopped worrying about giving out card details or paypal. I do not give details of a debit card as that will link to our bank accounts. With a credit card there is a spending liit which would protect you fro a major fraud and I have had some fraud which the card company discussed with me and was removed from the account at no cost to me. I just think if you get over cautious  it starts to impact on your life.

I do get a thank you email from Wikipedia which I probably wouldn't from a scam. Also I always choose to make it a one time payment.

Don

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1