Very humorous and atmospheric illustrated version available, one of a series that also covers some of Eliot’s other cats.

53C72894-8311-4AD4-A322-5A9D87DFDF2A.jpeg.6dee4252c41afb145cbc0e676072a22a.jpeg

The artist has a really good feel for railway matters, especially the various ‘characters’ among the staff, who he captures really well. The Carlisle station master is an ebullient Sikh.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

Turning from cats to mournful looking dogs for a moment:

I had no reason to laugh out loud at anything on the Today programme this morning ...

,,,EXCEPT ...

a comment from wet Carlisle where the Corbynisti were sheltering in The Rpyal Scot pubfrom the rain waiting for Corbyn.

”Don’t mention Ian Duncan Smith to the dog; she gets really upset”

dh

Edited by runs as required
stupidly forgot the name of the pub!
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, drmditch said:

I do not share my house with a cat at the moment, but I miss my last cat very much. He was an excellent railway cat, and would inspect new constructions and sometimes follow the passage of trains with great (apparent) interest. When he was young he would wait beside a tunnel mouth for a train to emerge, although he learned quite quickly not to do this.

My much-missed Minnie would happily sit and watch the trains go by,

min2.jpg.54f1c27b19cdb4f29f540677e4822f04.jpg

A hobby which has now also been taken up by Phoebe,

250636326_Apr0100.JPG.fd608f33135a607d52f10dcc6ed03080.JPG

I've just taken her to the vet this morning after a run-in with next door's thug of a cat yesterday - blinkin heck - 75 quid for a quick once-over and an antibiotic shot!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

By the BR period, cats weren't on the approved list of infestation control measures, traps and as a last resort poison being preferred. (Document on the Barrowmore Model Railway Group website.)

Another reason for me to dislike the BR error.  Not only ravaging Britain's railways like a horde of Visigoths they sacked all the railway cats as well.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

I've just taken her to the vet this morning after a run-in with next door's thug of a cat yesterday - blinkin heck - 75 quid for a quick once-over and an antibiotic shot!

That's a bargain! I've just paid out £190 to have mine patched up after a similar encounter...

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

My much-missed Minnie would happily sit and watch the trains go by,

min2.jpg.54f1c27b19cdb4f29f540677e4822f04.jpg

A hobby which has now also been taken up by Phoebe,

Your Minnie bears an uncanny resemblance to our late-departed Milly :cray_mini:

....and thanks to this thread I have learnt that the current pair of feline lodgers share more than a passing likeness to Skimbleshanks...

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

I think I can perhaps beat that.  We once had a cat that would sit on his haunches and beg for melon - seriously melon preferably charantais orange melon.

We currently have several who will eat cheese (soft goats cheese being preferable - sorry form Wright writes that should be "goats'  " cheese)  despite adult cats supposedly being lactose intolerant.  

I have heard of cases where people who have an intolerance to cows milk find goats milk ok.

Our late cat Bonnie loved milk but in later life it started to make her sick.

Don

Edited by Donw
extra words

I see Ms Thunberg is now Time Magazines Person of the Year!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50740324

We'd better start cutting down on those nasty, noxious steam engines* and go all-electric!

Also, whilst viewing the Electric Televisor yesterday evening, I happened to see the John Lewis Christmas Advertisment (The one with the dragon) and was struck by the similarity of the young lady in the advertisment to Miss T.  One hopes Mr E hasn't come over all Victorian and sent his child out to work to support his model railway......  :o

* Its axiomatic that diesels won't be involved....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Thought for the day (well, tomorrow actually):

Whatever else might be happening, remember that the most important thing about Thursday 12th December 2019 is that it is Railway Modeller publication date.

Odd that mine turned up in the post yesterday. I was amused to see the 12th quoted inside.

Don

32 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Subscribers who receive it early should not read it until tomorrow, so that they too can insulate themselves from reality by spending the entire day in the cosy world of flock fields and cardboard cottages.

Unless you find that someone has sneaked in a Dinky Election Mini.....

1846776563_dinky492electionminivan.jpg.9fe2c41d1e831175abb92c8b5ff46980.jpg

A candidate wearing a sheepskin jacket?  How retro!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Subscribers who receive it early should not read it until tomorrow, so that they too can insulate themselves from reality by spending the entire day in the cosy world of flock fields and cardboard cottages.

Oops!  I finished reading mine this morning.

Anyway, it's not tomorrow you need to insulate yourself from.  No campaigning and restrictions on reporting.  It is Friday when the reality escaping may be required.

I'll be up bright and early tomorrow and off to spend the day biting my lip.  I'll be working in a polling station where I will have no political opinions between 07:00 and 22:00.  (It will be a double challenge this time as it is in a church hall and I'm probably expected not to have an opinion on that either. :whistle:)  Lots of tea and biscuits though.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

My mother in law usually gets drafted on that duty, being a retired council official, but not tomorrow, because she is to be a guest of the NHS for day surgery.

We live in a ‘marginal’ and a lorry just came along our street carrying a huge LED poster of a well-known political figure, with the words “I do not tell the truth” in letters about five feet high. For some reason, the words ‘we hold these truths to be self-evident’ instantly ran through my mind.

• Funny 1

Never before, in a British General Election, have such Huge Porky Pies been told to so many with so few scruples.

And that's all I'm saying about the choices that now face us!!!

Except that Friday will inevitably be worse than Wednesday has been!!!

1453160671_ScyllaCharybdis.jpg.aaa11a2e9adba2ce9260b1707afb50fe.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Two weevils crept from the crumbs. "You see those weevils, Stephen?" said Jack solemnly. "I do." "Which would you choose?" "There is not a scrap of difference. Arcades ambo. They are the same species of curculio, and there is nothing to choose between them." "But suppose you had to choose?" "Then I should choose the right-hand weevil; it has a perceptible advantage in both length and breadth." "There I have you," cried Jack. "You are bit – you are completely dished. Don’t you know that in the Navy you must always choose the lesser of two weevils?"

Patrick O'Brian, The Fortune of War (Collins, 1979).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Two weevils crept from the crumbs. "You see those weevils, Stephen?" said Jack solemnly. "I do." "Which would you choose?" "There is not a scrap of difference. Arcades ambo. They are the same species of curculio, and there is nothing to choose between them." "But suppose you had to choose?" "Then I should choose the right-hand weevil; it has a perceptible advantage in both length and breadth." "There I have you," cried Jack. "You are bit – you are completely dished. Don’t you know that in the Navy you must always choose the lesser of two weevils?"

Patrick O'Brian, The Fortune of War (Collins, 1979).

If only the choice was so clear!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Annie said:

That would be a case of no choice at all wouldn't it?

Not exactly. The sitting MP is John Redwood, a long-term Eurosceptic. The Liberal Democrat (and hence pro-remain) candidate is Philip Lee, formerly the Conservative MP for the adjacent constituency of Bracknell; he infamously crossed the floor of the House of Commons during a speech by the Prime Minister back in early September. 

This is for information only. If you actually want my views on either or both, PM me, but I don't recommend it.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

This is for information only. If you actually want my views on either or both, PM me, but I don't recommend it.

I shall take your recommendation sir and thank you.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1