41 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Sorry to sound like a spoilsport, but I come in here to get away from stuff like politics.

On the other hand I come in here to get away from my guilt about how I actually wired up my stupidly overlarge DCC semi-auto layout and put it all on my old laptop.

dh

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I just hope that all who are able will take their Democratic Franchise* out for some exercise between 7am and 10pm GMT tomorrow, Thursday. It doesn't matter which candidate** you put your shaky scrawlen cross against, the important thing is that you DO. And if you've already submitted your postal vote then I applaud you.

As the chap with the Dinky van says, "Vote for Somebody!"

And if you can't be arsed then whatever happens on Friday 13th, its ALL YOUR FAULT!

* I've always wondered what a Democratic Franchise is, some sort of dog, I assume.  A Lurcher for hunting down untruths,  a Pointer for indicating correct ones or some sort of Retriever to bring them back for you to see?  Whatever, you don't see a lot of them tied up outside polling stations...

** Allegedly from the chalk-whitened robes that Roman aspirees to political office wore when on the stump.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Well I can report with some confidence that the Boss aka Old Fluffy Bum aka SWMBO intends to sleep through that strange election that is occurring in the northern antipodes. Although, lest this be seen as a reflection upon your political choices (not so much Scylla and Charybdis as Dumb and Dumber), in a long and inspiring political career she has slept through most of our elections. In fact the greatest and most newsworthy event in her parliamentary career was when she was elected to our local seat upon which she promptly inspected the seat and went to sleep on it. The latest news from her constituency office is that she is currently digesting breakfast and has left instructions to be awakened for dinner.       

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It doesn't matter which candidate** you put your shaky scrawlen cross against, the important thing is that you DO.

What do you advise where the candidates* are all awful, and the seat so safe that a pig with the right colour rosette would win?

* Constituency: we know most party leaders can only be dreadful, otherwise they wouldn’t get to be party leaders.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Regularity said:

What do you advise where the candidates* are all awful, and the seat so safe that a pig with the right colour rosette would win?

Vote for the pig.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

18 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Difficult one, that.

Reminds me of the end of Animal Farm, where the animals, peering through the window at the meeting between the Pigs and Humans couldn't decide who was who.

2 minutes ago, Annie said:

Vote for the pig.

But which pig? 

Perhaps one would vote for the aspirant whos's gain in votes would severely embarass whichever pig wins.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Never before, in a British General Election, have such Huge Porky Pies been told to so many with so few scruples.

And that's all I'm saying about the choices that now face us!!!

Except that Friday will inevitably be worse than Wednesday has been!!!

1453160671_ScyllaCharybdis.jpg.aaa11a2e9adba2ce9260b1707afb50fe.jpg

Splendid cartoon!

It doesn't seem to enlarge, so I can't read the small lettering.

Is that the young Mr Pitt at the helm?

What is written on the flag flying from the island?

Since the vessel as rigged can only be sailed on a dead run (ie downwind) how will it escape wreck on the island at the end of the passage.?

Who does the strikingly underdressed lady represent?

4 minutes ago, drmditch said:

'tis Britannia herself!

(Note spear and shield with her in the boat)

Not a clue as to whats on the banner downwind, but I would imagine the Resourceful Helmsman would let fly the sheets and come Safely to Shore once the island had been reached.

Hurrah!!!

7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

'tis Britannia herself!

(Note spear and shield with her in the boat)

Not a clue as to whats on the banner downwind, but I would imagine the Resourceful Helmsman would let fly the sheets and come Safely to Shore once the island had been reached.

Hurrah!!!

Thank you, and pass the Port!

Hurrah indeed!!!!

28 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Umm... that would be the junior adviser the elected member is discovered in flagrante delicto with at a certain stage in their parliamentary career. An event which leads to the hon. member saying that it was a combination of the wine, cigars and the stress of office which caused this embarrassing situation and he is offering his heartfelt apologies to his wife, his family, and his constituencies whose trust this singular event has abused and he has advised that he is seeking counselling and medical advice. One local wit was heard to remark that the latter was necessary given the young lady's reputation.  

He went on further to add that that his wife has rallied to his side as have his children Tarquin and Chantelle as well as the dog. 

The PM was contacted for a comment and replied "My government is moving forward to deliver all that we promised, and anything else was the fault of the previous government". :secret: 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

* Constituency: we know most party leaders can only be dreadful, otherwise they wouldn’t get to be party leaders.

Spoil your ballot. I once voted in an election where none of the candidates had distributed any election material at all or knocked on any doors in my neighbourhood. I did my civic duty by turning up and writing "none of the above" on the ballot paper.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Spoil your ballot. I once voted in an election where none of the candidates had distributed any election material at all or knocked on any doors in my neighbourhood. I did my civic duty by turning up and writing "none of the above" on the ballot paper.

If a significant number of voters did this it would send a message to the Establishment that reform was overdue. They would of course ignore it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I have to make a considerable round trip to do that: I am only in my electoral constituency at weekends. I had intended to turn up and vote. Then I read the bios...

I used to wonder why we couldn’t have “none of the above” as an option. Then I realised it might win...

Apologies to RGA, but this is the only place I have found online where there is appropriate irreverence directed at politicians, but due respect shown for personally held views.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My wife and I will be celebrating her first general election when she can actually vote having recently become a UK citizen. We intend to do our bit to keep the Tories out of North Norfolk. Perhaps I should have registered the cats too – they're both over 18!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I predict a hung parliament, or at least one without a workable majority.

Mind you, the latter is not new as I see from occasional forays into the news via the web. Will Rees Mogg renounce the Lord?

With this in mind I suggest Sellers' party political speech, which suits my most recent picture where an engine is not only going forwards, but going forwards surely.

Actually it's a Hornby Britannia of late BR condition, in full forward gear, at walking pace, giving new meaning to Hornby engines 'with smoke'. The driver has a deft hand on the regulator, with some slipping. His name is Aloysius. The engine once passed through Norfolk. 

There was a faint reference to trains and modelling real or virtual a while ago and I thought I'd keep the candle burning. I'm not sure about my wheelchair and it all being a step in the right direction...

70010_Britannia_putting_on_fire_7ab_r1500.jpg.20769226971321edf1c59cc6a2e535c0.jpg

May your enfranchisement bring you wealth, happiness, and a free copy of The Desiderata for every child... 

I see there are 3 new replies I hope the above doesn't cause offence or apoplexy.

Edited by robmcg
also can't spell for toffee
  • Like 4

In defence of my rash off-the-topic picture, there was been reference here of late to Wikipedia, and 70010 'Owen Glendower' had its plates stolen in 1966 and they were replaced with proper Welsh ones..  spelt ' Owain Glendwyr '  fitted in December 1966.  Withdrawn September 1967.  According to Wikipedia or should that be Wikipaedia?

See what donations to the cause bring?

Knowledge, truth, beauty....

Does Norfolk have an accent?  Or even a local language?  Every locality should have one, surely?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, robmcg said:

In defence of my rash off-the-topic picture, there was been reference here of late to Wikipedia, and 70010 'Owen Glendower' had its plates stolen in 1966 and they were replaced with proper Welsh ones..  spelt ' Owain Glendwyr '  fitted in December 1966.  Withdrawn September 1967.  According to Wikipedia or should that be Wikipaedia?

See what donations to the cause bring?

Knowledge, truth, beauty....

Does Norfolk have an accent?  Or even a local language?  Every locality should have one, surely?

Hold yew hard Bor, Hold Yew Hard..

http://norfolkdialect.com/glossary05.htm

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

There must be recordings of Norfolkians on-line, you tube maybe, and it’s essential to listen, because it’s a beautiful accent (bootiful?) that a list of a few dialect words does no justice to. The delivery is as important as the words and accent too; that’s very distinctive, and often very dryly humorous.

The thing is to find something genuine, not something camped-up, so probably an old recording of people talking among themselves, not talking for the benefit of a posh bloke from the BBC.

”Two Norfolk Singers” , which looks like a 1950s film, on YouTube is interesting, because, although it is voiced over by a posh chap from the BBC (Oliver Postgate??) the two old boys in it seem to be playing it straight, and their accents are gentle, rather that heavily pronounced. The tunes the second guy uses are interesting too - not the same as the ones commonly used for the songs nowadays, which are standardised around how particular folk revivalists sang them.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

When I was a child, BBC East used to regularly feature a Norfolk poet, speaking his verse in local accent and dialect.

Since I grew up over 100 miles from Norwich, the effect of hearing this was to make "Rambling Syd Rumpo" seem positively comprehensible.

There is a group of railway modellers around Norwich who call themselves the "Norfolk Mardlers", which gives a hint of how they speak.

• Like 3