• RMweb Premium

Heh , I saw the Who live way back, high energy gig . Er, when I still had some energy. 

Mind you, I now have a silhouette and a stack of 10 thou slaters best.  Politicians, me , I could cut them out by the sheetload and in all honesty they would when laminated to 20 thou be better than any of the idiots on the ballot paper today .. 

Stuff it , time to pour a last large dram, turn all the layout lights on and drive the last train of the day . 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Donw said:

I feel there has been a bit too personal remarks in the last hour. Do respect others.

Don

Where? All I could see was the happy banter of those of us who repay the politicians' respect for us with similar respect. What could be more friendly and respectful than that :rolleyes_mini:

In any case if we can't have a laugh about our elected representatives then there is nothing left but revolution and frankly I'm getting a bit old for manning the barricades, let alone building one. :senile:  

12 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Why are messrs Daltry and Entwhistle about to get their ****s out?

That's what rock stars do isn't it?

Oh to be young and whatever it was we were before I got so old that even my distant memories ain't what they used to be.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

In the old days there was a saying that good girls were good but bad girls were better.

I shall suspend judgement until I have properly considered that thought.

gdrXlpH.jpg

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Gobsmacked by the exit poll prediction.  Hope a number of respondents  were  fibbing..

To wake up to the fact that they weren't...

The Horror, The Horror!

Well, after a sufficient period of mourning, we must retreat to the calm waters of Railway Modelling.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I well remember reading the detail of the election results in 1987, in a newspaper, at lunchtime (Victorian, eh?).

its worse this time, because then the weather was sparkling, and I was just about to board a train on the way to holiday in the south of France (coming back was a huge mistake).

• Friendly/supportive 3

28 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

1160830606_FrankHollIamtheResurrectionandtheLifeorTheVillageFuneral.jpeg.a8686edea6f217c44bf52608bad02aa1.jpeg

1656150922_AlfredStevenscrying_bitter_tears.jpg.ee2c3ae757f5627020a5c173d1bd6eac.jpg

If ever there was an age that was in love with death it was the Victorian.

Wilde summed up the Victorian death cult perfectly “One must have a heart of stone to read the death of little Nell without laughing.”

As for the recent test to see if the public were paying attention to what their leaders promised, you will have to wait and see. Whereas this was ostensibly an election about Brexit it was as I see it, as a non-British citizen, a general recoil in horror at what was promised by Corbyn - Clement Attlee and post-war rationing revisited was the political model. And as a Labor supporter myself I'm afraid I would have voted against Labor if our ALP had gone to the ballot box with him as leader. So is this an indication of Tory resolve to solve the self-created Brexit crisis or will the party descend into the pre-election chaos we all observed?

You Poms have my sympathy you are about to descend further into the directionless wilderness of mirrors that is modern conservative rule and which we in Australia have been stuck with for the last nearly 7 years. I hope you get some certainty.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

You Poms have my sympathy you are about to descend further into the directionless wilderness of mirrors that is modern conservative rule and which we in Australia have been stuck with for the last nearly 7 years. I hope you get some certainty.

erm we have been there for nine years already.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that the result will not prove as bad (unless your only opinion is remain) as you think. Providing most of the newly elected aren't supporters of the ERG , then there will a massive swerve by the government towards the middle to hold the ground before the red team get themselves sorted out..

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

... Iwell remember reading the detail of the election results in 1987, in a newspaper, at lunchtime (Victorian, eh?)...

Reminds me of returning home for lunch in Africa and wife reports she has Just  been for coffee with the Barclays Bank managers wife.
He returned as they were leaving to report getting a radio message that there’s  been an army coup in the capital.

dh

edit 
and the consequence was I was woken by a soldier with a machine gun two days later and marched across to a Brigadier who had taken over the VC’s residence!

Edited by runs as required

It was six of one and half a dozen of the other.  No matter who won, the future would be uncertain. 

Now it is certain. I'll not say any more. Vox Populi, etc.

42 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Every cloud has, however, a silver lining.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing how "a period of reflection" turns out. 

800.jpeg.fc8d79607384b48202a67e61fcb20152.jpeg

I sincerely hope that things won't get that far out of hand, even if it IS pre-grouping!

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I sincerely hope that things won't get that far out of hand, even if it IS pre-grouping!

Given the amount of self-delusional spin that's coming out already today, I wouldn't bank on it.

Still, that's what you get for letting a broad church party become a repressive cult.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

August Bank Holiday - all will be welcome. About time the venue was Chatsworth again.

1152696286_AnnualPicnic.jpg.5fb6ce5d397fde6306233b2bbd09a936.jpg

Ah, the Anarchist-Communists.  With their predilection for rail journeys to take picnics at country houses, I confess that I've grown rather fond of them. 

"Now Brother Smith, I would argue that the abolition of the private property is limited to the ownership of the means of production.  Personal property should be respected, by which I mean the property that the worker uses. Like those cucumber sandwiches, for instance, and I'd be grateful if you could pass them here"

Pity they didn't gain enough traction.  I suspect they lacked momentum.  

• Funny 8