4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I could actually fit both into my little thirties LNER collection.  But the Grey Whale was a Darlington product, and you have to love its distinctiveness.  

I'm very tempted to have the KLR save the W1 from scrap in the Fifties. Blame my love of weird and one-off locos. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I dont know whether it counts as Steampunk or not but one of our club members brought along his 0 gauge model of Bulleid's Leader ( well one of them as two were built) I didn't have my camera but will endeavour to take a photo next week. Gordon who owns the model was a driver on the Southern and has been inside one and spoken with the crew.   Actually there is a view of it on here about 3mins. I expect it will get a run at Highbridge at the Sedgmoor 0 gauge group exhibition 15th and 16th Feb.

Don 

• Like 1

Talking of steam cars reminds me of recently deceased Scale7 Group member Steve Baldock who was such a great enthusiast for them that he built his own steam car....

Image 10-01-2020 at 00.32.jpg

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

A little bit of progress on Nellie ...

The conversion was made using one of two beaten up Nellie bodies found on the the Bay of Fleas. The reason the second of these bodies is now sitting on a genuine Nellie chassis is due to a parcel that arrived out of the blue today, by way of an exceedingly kind gesture, more on which later.

It does, however, enable me to make the comparison. You will see that Nellie, as God and Triang intended her, sits rather higher than she does on the replacement chassis. The latter puts her buffers at a more prototypical height.

As to progress, well, the body I used was sans chimney and I had nothing suitable to hand, so this week I scoured the web for a replacement. I'm rather pleased with the look of this one and it fits perfectly. 

I also scoured the net for some buffers, and found some nice metal Triang ones, which may well be the type with which she was fitted originally. 

Finally, I realised that the 2-4-0 configuration rendered the sandboxes mounted on the footplate in the angle of the smokebox wingplate and saddle redundant, and they looked rather silly, so I had to carve them off and make good.

IMG_5966.JPG.b336502a0745737b0ad38414100bee17.JPG

Edited by Edwardian
spelling and grammar
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

That looks very good indeed.

I did do a double-take though, thinking that the one on the left had somehow leapt off the top of my study bookshelf onto the top of yours.

K

They're nothing like my 27, its a shiny green because I liked the look of it on other Triang Hornby locos of that era (think L1, Sir Dinadan) so I varnished it with Airfix Gloss Varnish.....

But like any other X04 motored loco, it still runs perfectly well!

I do like Edwardians 2-4-0 version, but I won't be scrapping 27 or my boxed blue (Mint! Rare! :jester: ) Nellie for something similar as I'm not particularly impressed by the Bachmann mechanism in my Stuart example, though that needs sorting due to the fatuous front buffer height alone!

Some news and more Nellie doings .....

The postman never rings twice (we have no doorbell) and never knocks, but delivers by stealth so as to avoid triggering the Labs. Yesterday I found that some packages had arrived at Edwardian Towers.

The things we need ...

Our Nellie, as has been noted, has gained a chimney and some buffer heads.  Anyone care to guess the chimney design with which Nell Gwyn is now fitted?

IMG_5959.JPG.9c5535f9e954b76b575e0e816791702f.JPG

Sadly (and expensively) I lost all my WNR Narrow Planet works plates, so need to order replacements this weekend, as progress is finally resuming on the locomotive front. I have also lost the GER T7 dome for WNR No.1.  I went back to the Ways of Shape to order a replacement and discovered that it was now offered in brass, so I gave that a go.  Some, at least, of the extravagant pricing is going on plush packaging these days ....

86209557_IMG_5960-Copy.JPG.b21a528714819e52363e5ab248bc9186.JPG

A J15 and one of those dreadful Ratio kits ....

Sometime ago, against the day I might be up to tackling a whitemetal kit, I acquired one for a T26/E4.  Recently I decided to purchase a Y14/J15 kit.  The seller also had one of the Ratio MR 2-4-0s for sale, and, I managed to acquire this for a fairly modest price, not wanting to splash out on a motorised kit of dubious reputation.

It runs, tolerably well forwards and tolerably badly backwards, and has the awful plastic wheels, motor etc supplied by Ratio, and I am pretty sure of two things.  First, it probably runs as well as any of these ever did, and, second, that it will now start to fall to bits. The blue sparks generated by the leading wheels are interesting, and I wonder what might be done about them.

As it's very light, I want to see what adding some weight will achieve (the thing collapsing into its component parts, in all probability).

IMG_6006.JPG.869dd3400d85369c4153c201f174b39d.JPG

It is this acquisition that has revived my interest in  No.69A.  Thanks to Stephen, I learnt of the Slaters MR brass numerals, so I have ordered these.  I would now be grateful for any help he can offer in hacking 69A (a Kirtley rebuilt extensively by Johnson, I gather) out of the Johnson 2-4-0.

No_69A.jpeg.80414c5b54aad654110cc3e9c527ceb6.jpeg

A lovely surprise

No package was, however, more welcome than one that arrived out of the blue; a very kind thought, indeed.

Imagine my surprise as I unwrapped a little plastic box and found a letter that explained how pictures of the Nellie/Nell Gwyn conversion had moved my correspondent to unearth a Nellie upgrade he had commenced then abandoned some two decades before and it has been offered for me to make use of. 

It will be seen that work had commenced with cab and boiler hand rails and a very splendid chimney.  There are also some rather nice buffers included for fitting.

The chassis (posed under the green body in the previous post) shows only the faintest glimmer of life.  Might it be seized?  I shall have to investigate. 

So here we are.  I think the thing to do is to honour the original intention of producing an upgraded industrial 0-4-0, so I must get the chassis working and then take up with the body where my kind correspondent left off.

My thanks for this very kind gift and for the very kind thoughts conveyed. 

1829691701_IMG_5962-Copy.JPG.27a1a99479aee639722fd21b375389aa.JPG

• Like 17

Whoa! Exciting packages indeed.

That dome is particularly spectacular.

Members of the ‘No.27 Club’ might find this useful - the guy has written down most of the things we’ve all learned by experience, and a few that I hadn’t. http://www.Hornby-railway-trains.co.uk/Catalogue/Articles/Article_X03_X04_Motor_Service.htm and he seeks all the parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I would now be grateful for any help he can offer in hacking 69A (a Kirtley rebuilt extensively by Johnson, I gather) out of the Johnson 2-4-0.

Will do. May take a little while.

Meanwhile, may I offer some light operatic entertainment? I've been listening again to Ernest Ford's 1893 Savoy Opera curtain raiser Mr Jericho, part of which I caught on Radio 3 on Tuesday afternoon. There cannot be many operas in which the hero is the driver of a horse omnibus! (He turns out to be a viscount, so that's all right.) Also featuring the ubiquity of 19th century advertising and the condition of the House of Lords. The London Necropolis also gets a passing mention.

The performance (overture and numbers only) is currently available on BBC Sounds (from 1:48). Harry Greenbank's sub-Gilbertian libretto is available thanks to the G&S Society. The spoken dialogue may help to make some sense of the plot!

Here's the London Transport Museum's yellow horse omnibus:

i00006kb.jpg

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

All together now: "we all live in a yellow horse omnibus, yellow horse omnibus..."

I think you'll find some of Ernest Ford's numbers even more annoyingly catchy. I've got "Jericho's jams" going round in my head - the number is basically an advertising jingle - I'll be experiencing subliminal frustration when I don't see the product on the supermarket shelves!

As for: "to think he should dare / to m_k_ l_v_* to a fare" ...

*Oh dear. The autoprude is struggling with Greenbank's innocent lyrics.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Will do. May take a little while.

Meanwhile, may I offer some light operatic entertainment? I've been listening again to Ernest Ford's 1893 Savoy Opera curtain raiser Mr Jericho, part of which I caught on Radio 3 on Tuesday afternoon. There cannot be many operas in which the hero is the driver of a horse omnibus! (He turns out to be a viscount, so that's all right.) Also featuring the ubiquity of 19th century advertising and the condition of the House of Lords. The London Necropolis also gets a passing mention.

The performance (overture and numbers only) is currently available on BBC Sounds (from 1:48). Harry Greenbank's sub-Gilbertian libretto is available thanks to the G&S Society. The spoken dialogue may help to make some sense of the plot!

Here's the London Transport Museum's yellow horse omnibus:

i00006kb.jpg

Well!

Nice "Paddington Yellow"!

i00006kb.jpg.aea90baceab1ee62235fbcd976564fa2.jpg

And thank you for that. I read the libretto and then listened to the numbers.  Brilliant! I might have to buy that disc of Savoy "Curtain Raisers".

My first thought was that a Mr. Jericho poster must find its way onto CA, perhaps, to be performed at the Achingham Assembly Rooms, along with Orange Pekoe, by Jimson. 

My second thought was for a series of Jericho's Jams enamel signs, each with a different slogan:

Jericho's Jams, Ask for no other

- Jericho’s Genuine Jams! See that you get ’em, all others are shams

And my personal favourite:

- Jericho's Jams, Highly superior, For the interior

My third thought was "hang on, wasn't there a jam  factory you've long wanted to model?"

Yes, and I've sketched it out both as part of the Isle of Eldernell scheme - at Mereport - and as a stand-alone micro-industrial.

Track plans are not my strong point, however, so if anyone has any suggestions .....

At least it would have a name, Jericho's Jams.

This is the inspiration, and I'm sure I've posted this picture before; a real jam factory and some, to my mind, irresistible 1890s industrial architecture .... 

1647224290_GrangersFruitPreserveFactoryEly.JPG.95fef6959fb94f3a4146682326fa593c.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Sadly (and expensively) I lost all my WNR Narrow Planet works plates, so need to order replacements this weekend, as progress is finally resuming on the locomotive front. 

Drop us a line, I'm sure we can sort something out if we just need to re-run artwork already prepared for you. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What a wonderful building!  That jam factory is just crying out to be modelled.

Jericho's Jams, - now there's a great name for a jam factory.  I will be looking forward to developments.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes lowering the body to the correct buffer height has somehow transformed 'Nellie' so at first glance it's not immediately apparent that it is/was the old Triang trainset favourite.