• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I thought the three slices = six cuts were: smoke box; boiler before tanks; and, bunker.

I'm only talking about removing the extended smokebox that looks stupid on such a small loco, the rest can stay as it is.

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

If it was not going to be DCCd, I would remove it entirely and connect the red and black wires from the motor to the red and black wires emerging from the chassis under the thingy. 

Academic in the context of the subsequent discussion, but if anyone does this they would be well advised to retain the anti-interference components.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Academic in the context of the subsequent discussion, but if anyone does this they would be well advised to retain the anti-interference components.

The funny thing is that the two capacitors attached to the motor would probably be adequate to suppress RFI, the chokes and capacitors on the DCC socket board are a bit belt and braces as far as DC use is concerned, and probably intended to protect the DCC decoder.

2 hours ago, robmcg said:

I modified my Nellie with editing, a lot less messy, and got this;

Only takes a mo...

Its what all little people dream of growing up to become, otherwise you might be thought to be a bit of a wet nellie....

http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/wetnelly.htm

Edited by Hroth
Repetition...

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Neilson, Reid & Co. - i before e except in Glasgow!

I think we can all weigh in with examples to prove that “rule” to be complete and utter tosh.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Regularity said:

A friend once thought of doing a cut and shut to create an accurate model of the (supposed) prototype.

He was very good at this technique, and if anyone was going to succeed, it would have been him, but he looked at what was required if he didn't plan to redo the boiler bands, dome, etc, and stopped thinking about it...

Which is why I've written off the £6 the J83 cost...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, uax6 said:

I'm only talking about removing the extended smokebox that looks stupid on such a small loco, the rest can stay as it is.

Andy G

Your very keen that someone has a go, and very certain that it’s possible.

Why not satisfy the former by proving the latter yourself? :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its what all little people dream of growing up to become, otherwise you might be thought to be a bit of a wet nellie....

http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/wetnelly.htm

Sysop!  Sysop!   Abuse flag!       He left out the apostrophe in 'It's'.

Where is Andy Y when you need him, eh?

I think 'AY Mod' must be a 24/7 algorithm. 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, uax6 said:

Andy G

That's what some say about T9s and 700s....   I couldn't possibly comment.

710_T9_LSWR_IMG_20170301_0038-L.jpg.4ae3e6f2bc21d718dd5c5f913ba9665a.jpg

120_T9_portrait2_3abc_r1500.jpg.72bff034b00f27da01c4015cb870aed4.jpg

photo edited,   and for once the lower pic is, gasp, choke, rather EDWARDIAN.       sigh....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Regularity said:

Your very keen that someone has a go, and very certain that it’s possible.

Why not satisfy the former by proving the latter yourself? :)

If you have seen my link I've done some much more exciting bashing of Nellies friends to achieve something different. What I would hope I was doing was encouraging someone who doubts his skill to have a go at doing something that he is capable of doing.

Interestingly I only took a soldering iron to white metal kits because I was encouraged by at least one other to have a go. Now I can't imagine doing these kits without soldering them.

Andy G

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, robmcg said:

That's what some say about T9s and 700s....   I couldn't possibly comment.

710_T9_LSWR_IMG_20170301_0038-L.jpg.4ae3e6f2bc21d718dd5c5f913ba9665a.jpg

120_T9_portrait2_3abc_r1500.jpg.72bff034b00f27da01c4015cb870aed4.jpg

photo edited,   and for once the lower pic is, gasp, choke, rather EDWARDIAN.       sigh....

And don't they look better?

Andy g

Sysop!  Sysop!   Abuse flag!       He left out the apostrophe in 'It's'.

Its the new way, dropping all apostrophic adornment and leaving it up to the reader to determine meaning by context.  After all when listened to, the effect is the same!  You'll just have to grit your teeth, as you no doubt do when some "Yoof"* refers to a "train station".

I think 'AY Mod' must be a 24/7 algorithm. 

More a 23/7 bot, choose your moment, easy to avoid...

* The perjorative term for someone younger than yourself.  Being younger than some folk here, yet older than others, I feel like Ronnie Barker stuck between John Cleese and Ronnie Corbett... 

Edited by Hroth
Spelin and suchlike
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I shall avoid all argument by running away to Keighley.

Yes, in my limited experience, people in/from Yorkshire don't have arguments in the conventional sense, instead each states their opinion, not particularly loudly, but very firmly indeed, as if it as an incontrovertible fact, and then stares the other hard in the eye, in a sort of silent contest of will.

After a long pause, the person being stared at then signals an end to the clinch, by saying, grudgingly, "Aye, 'appen.", which can mean anything from "Yeah, you're right mate; I give in." to "You're entitled to your opinion, but if you think I'm ever going to agree with it, you're completely deluded." according to intonation and subtle body language discernible only by fellow natives.

Joking aside, I've seen this cause real confusion when Yorkshiremen and Londoners work together, because the styles of debate and reaching agreement (or at least reaching a consensus as to what is to be done) are hugely different.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I recall out driving in the depths of Yorkshire, coming to a junction at which I had to pause to consult the map. A local agriculturalist was standing by. He pointed with his thumb and uttered the single word "'Arrugut". Fortunately, going in the general direction of Harrogate was what we were intending; however, his statement could be accurately parsed as "You are clearly strangers who don't know your way around here, so I am instructing you to leave the area by the most direct route."

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I recall out driving in the depths of Yorkshire, coming to a junction at which I had to pause to consult the map. A local agriculturalist was standing by. He pointed with his thumb and uttered the single word "'Arrugut". Fortunately, going in the general direction of Harrogate was what we were intending; however, his statement could be accurately parsed as "You are clearly strangers who don't know your way around here, so I am instructing you to leave the area by the most direct route."

Possibly, "you fancy looking types clearly intend to go to Harrogate, and, perhaps you should consider confining yourselves to that affluent spa town for the duration of your sojourn in God's own County".

As Kevin acutely observed, a world of meanings many reside in a Yorkshireman's single gruff word or two.    

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

There is the story of the famously taciturn US President Coolidge. At a dinner one evening he was seated next to a rather garrulous young lady who told him that a friend had bet her she couldn't get more than three words out of him all evening. He turned to her and replied "you lose".

Was Calvin Coolidge of Yorkshire extraction?

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

A longer wait than anticipated, but the production livery sample, though rejected for a registration error in the boiler band lining, shows a distinct advance on the livery sample revealed last autumn, so I think these will be worth the wait when they do arrive. 

terrierupdate.png.a578c690bf568725946c26352e6f57a5.png.abbe567ee1413cb50e819c45f377a28b.png

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Blue paint from Victorian times was unstable, and could weather badly. I would suggest the same paint could have been used in both applications, but on a loco it would have a coat of varnish, whereas a wagon number plate wouldn’t get the same TLC, and more prone to fading.

• Informative/Useful 5