4DDA00E6-034D-431E-94DE-14F3382141F0.jpeg.68d813c0f47484a20aa943ca6065f26a.jpegIf only.

The nearest thing to a litter of Pomeranians, is probably the former German royal family, the Schwerin-Lowitz, who I think were Dukes and Duchesses of Pomerania in their spare time.

Here is the last princess. One of her granddaughters was a member of my team at work for a short while, being at the time a Trainee Health & Safety Manager. She had an enormously long formal title that was effectively a list of the pre-federal duchies of northern Germany, which she didn’t ‘go by’.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

The USAF is now lumbered with a Trump inspired space force, or whatever its called.  He hasn't figured out what to do with it yet and I don't think the air force has either!  Fancies himself as Captain Kirk!:pleasantry:

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

34 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I looked up Schwerin-Lowitz but what I got is this

Yes, from the Mecklenberg-Pommern Schmalspurbahn, a massive 600mm gauge network that criss-crossed the rather flat and dull duchy. Some of it is preserved https://www.mecklenburgische-seenplatte.de/reiseziele/mecklenburg-pommersche-schmalspurbahn-mpsb

I think 'Graf' is the German equivalent of Duke [no, its Count or Earl].

That loco spent a bit of tome at New Romney, parked next to the RHDR model railway building, when it was first imported to the UK in th elate 60s or early 70s, and at that stage it was still in DDR form with all sorts of gizmos and pipes bolted all over it, but it has now been put back to near as-built condition.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

The USAF is now lumbered with a Trump inspired space force, or whatever its called.  He hasn't figured out what to do with it yet and I don't think the air force has either!  Fancies himself as Captain Kirk!:pleasantry:

Brian.

He has more in common with Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz.  (In a number of ways though I don't know if he writes poetry.)

Edited by teaky
Added Brian's post for clarity due to Nearholmer posting in between.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, from the Mecklenberg-Pommern Schmalspurbahn, a massive 600mm gauge network that criss-crossed the rather flat and dull duchy. Some of it is preserved https://www.mecklenburgische-seenplatte.de/reiseziele/mecklenburg-pommersche-schmalspurbahn-mpsb

Ah, yes, the Mecklenburg-Pomerania Narrow Gauge Railway. (Why not Vorpommern?)

Herzog = Duke

Graf = Count (since it's a Continental title) but there are degrees:

• Pfalzgraf (Count Palatine), attached to the Holy Roman Imperial palace staff
  • Markgraf (Margrave), a Marcher Count, in military command of a border province of the Holy Roman Empire
  • Landgraf (Landgrave), a Count who held his lands directly from the Holy Roman Emperor
  • Burggraf (Burgrave), quite possibly one who did gyre and gimbal in the wabe, if the wabe was the bailey of the castle he held in fee from the Holy Roman Emperor - probably more of a viscount than a proper count

and also various Rhinegraves, Wildgraves, Raugraves, and Altgraves, who may not count at all.

• Informative/Useful 13

31 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Herzog = Duke

• Markgraf (Margrave), a Marcher Count, in military command of a border province of the Holy Roman Empire
  • Landgraf (Landgrave), a Count who held his lands directly from the Holy Roman Emperor
  • Burggraf (Burgrave), quite possibly one who did gyre and gimbal in the wabe, if the wabe was the bailey of the castle he held in fee from the Holy Roman Emperor - probably more of a viscount than a proper count

and also various Rhinegraves, Wildgraves, Raugraves, and Altgraves, who may not count at all.

We just have ...

55981679_71kNV11Z4L._SY500_.jpg.2899e12f8a658f34327e37f09624a378.jpg

Pronounced ....

453223058_download(1).jpeg.456e577277365c8258c719dc858a4736.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

19 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Herzog = Duke

I thought "Buggraf" was a Dorset local addressing a London weekend cottage owner...

And you missed out

• Bargraf, a count found attached to local hostelries
  • Linegraf, a Hoedown count commanding the forces of Tush Push, Hora, Hustle and Macarena
  • Kartesiangraf, a problem-solving count who compares both sides at the same time
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7

2 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

I thought "Buggraf" was a Dorset local addressing a London weekend cottage owner...

And you missed out

• Bargraf, a count found attached to local hostelries
  • Linegraf, a Hoedown count commanding the forces of Tush Push, Hora, Hustle and Macarena
  • Kartesiangraf, a problem-solving count who compares both sides at the same time

You forgot Vandergraf, or Herr Standtuppenbe-Count-ed

van-de-graaff-generator--physikanten-4514-zVVMM-en-3.jpg.f7ae853bc3cce5517af352d23b93e7ec.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Waldgraf, a Tory backwoodsman. Confusingly, he's a baron, though his elder brother is an earl. I was obliged to shake hands with him last time I got a degree.

You're lucky the process involved something as inoffensively conventional as hand shaking.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

German royal family, the Schwerin-Lowitz

From the numerous times they spent cursing herds of cows blocking the road?  :jester:

Tiptoes away fearing accusations of lèse-majesté...  :whistle:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

Definitely dangerous to know.....

And in the days before Photoshop, some poor devil had to spend hours working on the negative with a soft pencil (a practice known as loading the lead) to for the Young Lady to achieve a flawless complexion like that!  Once the print had been made, even more hours were spent tinting it!

Is that how we get the expression "more lead in your  pencil"?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

That loco spent a bit of tome at New Romney, parked next to the RHDR model railway building, when it was first imported to the UK in th elate 60s or early 70s, and at that stage it was still in DDR form with all sorts of gizmos and pipes bolted all over it, but it has now been put back to near as-built condition.

Are you sure you have the right loco? There were at least four locos imported to UK from the Mecklenberg-Pommern Schmalspurbahn - of which this loco was one, but I am wondering how many spent time at New Romney? - I know that:

- An 0-8-0 (DR number 99 3461) was at New Romney, now works in France.

- At least two more spent time as guests of the FR, having earlier been at Knebworth?

- 0-8-0 99 3462 is now back in Germany on the Muskau Forest Railway (seen April 2018)P1130186.jpg.5f78876450404b8ad1b65c15a4f5114e.jpg

The Jung 0-6-2 T on the Brecon Mountain Railway was there when we visited in 1987 - it was hauling the trains then!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 7

OK, I did follow this up, which possibly means that I have OCD.

The MPSB had c35 steam locos at various times, many being scrapped/sold/transferred before the preservation era, but all of the MPSB locos which survived long enough to carry final-style DR numbers were preserved:

99 3351 Jakobi 0-6-2TT  Sold in 1970, went to US (direct I think) then to Frankfurt FFM, re-boilered like the one at the BMR, but with the new boiler arranged to look like the original one, currently looks "as built".

99 3352 Kayser 0-6-2TT  Became part of a 'museumzug', an entire train stuffed and mounted, in 1973, and I think currently under restoration by Dresden VM. DR condition.

99 3353 Graf Schwerin Lowitz 0-6-2TT Sold to UK in 1972........OOU Gilfach Dhu Quarry 1973........ Brecon Mountain Railway c1982, re-boilered in a way that doesn't really look like "as built" condition.

99 3451 V D Lancken 0-6-2TT This wasn't an original MPSB loco, but was the same design as theirs and was allocated there in 1966, I think this might now be at Bad Muskauer Bahn/WEM.

99 3461     0-8-0TT by Vulcan Sold to UK 1972, New Romney until 1976, Knebworth until 1978, CFFCD since then. DR condition.

99 3462      0-8-0TT by O&K Sold 1970, ............ preserved by Bad Muskauer Bahn/WEM, but I think it travels to other lines too because it is recorded as being at Muhlenstroth. DR condition.

99 3361      0-8-0TT by O&K Sold 1972 and seems currently to be in the US, although by what route I don't know ......... I have a feeling that this is one that came via the UK. Dr condition but bulled-up a bit.

My reading is that the 1972 sale batch all came to the UK together, possibly first resting at New Romney before being dispersed, and if I waded through NGT and TNG back numbers I could probably confirm or deny this.

The other two German locos at Knebworth we’re Pedemoura (now LBNGR) and Sao Domingos (now Great Bush Railway) but neither of these are ex-MPSB.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 3

21 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I looked up Schwerin-Lowitz but what I got is this:

1042623123_GrafSchwerinLowitz.jpg.b000c3867d044250a654440a011b5baf.jpg

The Russians murdered their Royal Family, The Germans transformed theirs into narrow gauge locomotives.

• Funny 5