• RMweb Premium

We're much relieved that our son at the University of Durham decided a while ago not to go on the University Hill-Walking Society's weekend trip to Skye but instead to join in a Bridge Brunch today - solving fun bridge problems, apparently. And no, he's not studying civil engineering...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The thing is that these conditions are extreme for here, and they have an impact accordingly.

Extreme weather seems to be a growing trend and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of it.  Here in NZ about a decade ago we noticed it with so called 'once in 100 year weather events' causing flooding and general mayhem.  Only a year later there was another event that was much the same so weather forecasters and other such folk don't mention 'once in 100 year weather events' anymore.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Is.

Whilst it's forecast to continue to be very blowy until late Monday down here in the Thames Valley, James has the full Ciara until Tuesday evening, though the rain should ease off.

As is the view up here.  The waters are already receding but the wind is very much in evidence.  I suspect that sections of the ECML, in Scotland and elsewhere, will remain vulnerable tomorrow and probably Tuesday. Let's put it this way, step out of the door and everything, not just my heights, is getting wuthered. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Its been very blustery in West Norfolk today. No real damage to report, although I have gained a 4 foot length of black plastic guttering on the drive from somewhere (All gutters seem to be intact in all the houses around!), and the carport has suffered a rot/wind related un-perching off its concrete and steel feet. So that's another job for this week coming.....

Gates in work are ok at the minute, although the box is moving in all sorts of odd ways....

Andy G

• Friendly/supportive 3

10 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

As is the view up here.  The waters are already receding but the wind is very much in evidence.  I suspect that sections of the ECML, in Scotland and elsewhere, will remain vulnerable tomorrow and probably Tuesday. Let's put it this way, step out of the door and everything, not just my heights, is getting wuthered. 

hope the wuthering recedes, I believe you can get an ointment for it. Let us know if we can get you help from the “big lights” ... or at least a cuppa if you are down this way - would love to catch up. I have a small stone engine shed going begging if you can find a space, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Not far from Compound and the rain appears to have eased off.  There is an Amber Wind Warning in force but the wind looks the same colour as usual to me...…...

James,

Glad to hear the water is receding.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

59 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

the River Tyne at the end of our garden is always exciting during the new kind of weather. This was today.

DSC_0164.JPG.1b462e77e13808e3f3716646c13a09b7.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG.a4a7b49921e3bf36a9cddd42e2bbb17e.JPG

Gosh!

Still the County Bridge at Barney might be quite a sight today.

46 minutes ago, cornamuse said:

hope the wuthering recedes, I believe you can get an ointment for it. Let us know if we can get you help from the “big lights” ... or at least a cuppa if you are down this way - would love to catch up. I have a small stone engine shed going begging if you can find a space, too. 

The lure of the Bright Lights of Monte Darlo is, of course, irresistible, but a cuppa and a catch up with you would do me.

I still have some stuff of yours to return.  Should simply arrange something.  I go into Darlo every Monday evening for t'club.  

Meanwhile, back up dale ....

The Beck in full spate

For reference, this is what it's supposed to, normally does, look like ....

DSCN5184.JPG.4e801f57a051824c4a63c007e43f0905.JPG

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

48 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The lure of the Bright Lights of Monte Darlo is, of course, irresistible, but a cuppa and a catch up with you would do me.

I still have some stuff of yours to return.  Should simply arrange something.  I go into Darlo every Monday evening for t'club.  

im assuming you have seen the Monte Darlo posters in the art shop... very nice they are too! 

You do, but I know it is in safe hands, and it won’t get much use here for a while... I have given in to the large scale temptation. Except- you have to model everything - argh. 

I’m in Monday’s as the small human is off scouting. The kettle is usually on! 

love how the Beck usually looks. I’m off to play t’organ in a church with a big hole in it where a parishioner tried some ad hoc redesign work with her car. Fortunately no injuries, but it is a little parky! 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, cornamuse said:

im assuming you have seen the Monte Darlo posters in the art shop... very nice they are too! 

Yes, I agree.  It seems a little pricey, otherwise I'd already have one.  

You do, but I know it is in safe hands, and it won’t get much use here for a while... I have given in to the large scale temptation. Except- you have to model everything - argh. 

I’m in Monday’s as the small human is off scouting. The kettle is usually on! 

I could set off early and descend upon you?

love how the Beck usually looks. I’m off to play t’organ in a church with a big hole in it where a parishioner tried some ad hoc redesign work with her car. Fortunately no injuries, but it is a little parky! 

Wuthering pipes?

• Like 2

The English channel was looking particularly angry earlier - I could barely stand still on the promenade. I'm hardly the most heavyset of chaps (despite a large lunch), but it was still impressive.

I live in a top floor flat, with a flat roof, so while our host has rising water issues, I have the opposite...

• Friendly/supportive 5

18 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Nell Gwyn, now in outlandish "Tutta Beck Blue" (not that the beck ever looks that colour)

IMG_6892.JPG.80f8c15c798e483bc1455f93fc09cdf4.JPG

If Nell Gwyn, shouldn't the lining be...  Orange???

And the driver should have long curly hair!

Tiptoes out to check for slates before its too dark....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Nell Gwyn

Shouldn't she be orange? Bah - @Hroth beat me to it.

But that question got me looking for genuinely orange locomotives - not golden gorse. The Russian Class U locomotive U127 that hauled Lenin's funeral train seems to fit the bill:

1280px-Russian_Class_U_locomotive_Number_U127.JPG.9572f57806d5d890ccf51c8f60bbdb13.JPG

Wikimedia Commons. This was one of a class of 62 de Glehn compounds built in 1906-1912, some as oil burners. O Sydenham, how widely did your genius spead!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

If Nell Gwyn, shouldn't the lining be...  Orange???

And the driver should have long curly hair!

Tiptoes out to check for slates before its too dark....

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Shouldn't she be orange? Bah - @Hroth beat me to it.

But that question got me looking for genuinely orange locomotives - not golden gorse. The Russian Class U locomotive U127 that hauled Lenin's funeral train seems to fit the bill:

1280px-Russian_Class_U_locomotive_Number_U127.JPG.9572f57806d5d890ccf51c8f60bbdb13.JPG

Wikimedia Commons. This was one of a class of 62 de Glehn compounds built in 1906-1912, some as oil burners.

Ye discerning patron will finde Miss Gwyn an accomplissed performer and verily there is more to her than her oranges ....

Time Out, 1667

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

16 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Ye discerning patron will finde Miss Gwyn an accomplissed performer and verily there is more to her than her oranges ....

A "seamstress" as well as an "actress" and intermission Orange vendor?  A girl of many parts, forsooth!

Orange is the ‘house colour’ of Alan Keef, maker of narrow gauge industrial diesel locos, so a fair proportion of his locos started life that colour.

https://www.alankeef.co.uk/services/industrial/

Not quite de Glenn compounds, more close relations of JCBs, but nevertheless .....,

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Commiserations to those suffering from storm related issues. Here the Wind speed was forecast to exceeed 60mph this morning however that may have been for Watchet on the sheltered side of the hill. The only hill between the Brendon hills at 400m and the South wales coast is our hill and we get the full blast from Southerly directions so it may have been higher than that. It did manage to blow the shed doors open but was spotted before damage could get worse and the flat roof which has an EDPM. This has lifted a little along the join with the main roof I have put a couple of boards weighed down with bricks to stop it spreading. Also the fence between us and our neighbours is waggling back and forth so there is plenty to do. We haven't yet inspected to see what plants have been so shaken about as to loosen their roots.

We shouldn't have to worry about flooding living at the top of the hill there is somewhere for water to go  although the ground is sodden and moving about very slippery. It is always wise to look for somewhere for water to run away to when buying a house.

Don

• Friendly/supportive 3

16 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Yesterday was placid and calm.  The storm hit last night and was rattling the sashes all night.  Today is the Day That Never Dawned.  It's still raining and blowing a gale, but it's still dark and grey at 8am.

I wonder how my fellow parishioners are faring

181.6mm of rain in 24 hours to 9am here this morning. Thats never happenned before but at least its put the fires out.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Weather, don't talk to me about weather.

At this time of year I normally get allergy problems due to some unidentified plant somewhere.This persists into mid-February but the disappears as mysteriously as it arrived. The three weeks are a period of coughing etc. and broken sleep. However this bloody year I seem to have copped the perfect storm of respiratory problems.

We've had very bad fires in the east of my state Victoria which are still burning and lot of that smoke is drifting back over Melbourne which has therefore added to my respiratory burden - shortness of breath, coughing, bad sleeping etc. But to make matters ten times bloody worse our state government is going through a massive program of replacing level railway crossings, and I live in a suburb which has two, while the street in which I live runs down to one of the major preparatory work construction sites. The contractors cover these newly cleared areas where they have demolished houses with ground up concrete recycled from demolished buildings to make a firm well drained working surface, which as trucks etc. drive back and forth on it gradually is reduced to fine white abrasive dust.

So plant pollen, combined with bushfire smoke and a persistent east wind blowing this concrete dust towards me has reduced my lung capacity to the point where it is only an inhaler that is keeping me functioning. This morning I needed to walk down to our local shops for some things - I got half way down the street and completely ran out of breath. I then thought ****** this for a game of soldiers and gave up on the shops and walked back home only to run into the street gossip who wanted to cross examine me as to where I'd been, why I was coughing etc. Normally I am a fairly active person who walks a lot etc. but right now i'm in the condition of an emphysemac 90 year old chain smoker and I would kill for a southerly wind change with rain to clear this unbreathable air.    

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
Damned censor
  • Friendly/supportive 12