The height has no bearing on it, only the mass (given that the acceleration due to gravity is the same).

The really interesting/painful part is the kinetic energy transferred at the moment it hit his head, rather than the force, and that is a function of the velocity, hence of distance fallen.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

p = ma   force = mass x acceleration

v2 = u2 +2as final velocity squared = initial velocity squared plus 2 x something or other

v = u + at  etc

then in about 1968 they started using different abbreviations,  and I bought a car. Girls weren't interested in those equations, as I recall. The Beatles broke up...

I do hope the weather up there is improving, I have just bought models from Liverpool and Yorkshire respectively. The Daily Mail had it that you were all going to die from corona and there was rain to come... so it may be academic.

Edited by robmcg
clarification
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I sincerely hope that you don't believe a word you read in that thing.

No I don't.   The word 'gutter' is not low enough.  One cannot be but occasionally curious as to how low the press can go. Presumably quite a number of people do read it.

• Like 3

On 16/02/2020 at 21:25, Edwardian said:

I didn't take to that film. In fact, just thinking about it gives me a sinking feeling.

One of those films of which it might be said of the audience reaction "there wasn't a dry seat in the house".

How that silly heroine managed to keep leaping in and out of the water without contracting terminal hypothermia defied all science.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

How that silly heroine managed to keep leaping in and out of the water without contracting terminal hypothermia defied all science.  

You've just reminded me of Shelley Winters in The Poseidon Adventure.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

In Belle Rosen's case it would have been body fat that reduced the effects of hypothermia.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

7 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Can't wait to see the collectables from 'Jaws'  maybe a plastic severed head and a few arms and legs of various lengths, or a Robert Shaw figure chomped in half :D

“Ya gotta lotta guts, lady.”

Yes, spread all over the place after the sharks got in...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

St E

Probably the scale was chosen to fit a standard box size..

Having looked for suitable kits to provide a hull for my N Sea Ferry, I have found that while there are a few "standard" scales, there are an awful lot of odd ball scales as well.  This would fit with the latter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, James Harrison said:

For Christmas, I would like the Poseidon please. 

41386revell%20003.JPG

I visited the prototype when I was in LA.  My wife was really delighted with the 2h diversion to see part of our maritime history.  An excellent tour of the ship with some clearly wannabe jobbing actors taking roles and a decent dinner in one of the old restaurants.

However, was a bit sad to see some of the decay in the ship, plus sad to see it, in maritime terms, plinthed.  At least its intact, not part of the foundations of HK airport and accessible (unlike QE2)!  Still one hell of a ship though!

AC898763-D00D-4A8D-8448-9EDF3671C225.jpeg

021399C6-F360-40DD-8195-93E3A74FDA50.jpeg

00E120CB-D83C-4CD7-9703-75D191A4B5B6.jpeg

8C3CF7B0-3E67-48A8-B98C-EC4FE8DD2425.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

I hope I'm not repeating myself on here with this - apologies if I am.

A guy I went to school with was a very junior engineer on the crew that took the Queen Mary to San Diego. With nothing much else to do, they spent the trip making sure everything that should have been removed from the ship had been. They opened a large cupboard, and found several dozen WW2 steel helmets! It would seem the cupboard hadn't been opened since 1945. (Or it had been, and someone had decided "Not my problem!" and shut it again.)

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, pH said:

I hope I'm not repeating myself on here with this - apologies if I am.

A guy I went to school with was a very junior engineer on the crew that took the Queen Mary to San Diego. With nothing much else to do, they spent the trip making sure everything that should have been removed from the ship had been. They opened a large cupboard, and found several dozen WW2 steel helmets! It would seem the cupboard hadn't been opened since 1945. (Or it had been, and someone had decided "Not my problem!" and shut it again.)

Reminds me of an incident when I worked for a shipping agency many many years ago. We represented a very large shipping line from a very large Asian country.

A ship belonging to them was inspected by our Department of Transport which looked after among many things including vital safety equipment like fire fighting gear. The inspector had a field day with this ship and condemned all the brass fittings for the fire fighting equipment. So at great expense we had those replaced and, as required, got the inspector to verify that we were now up to scratch, I was assigned the job of being on board when the inspector paid the verification visit. It was a pleasant day and although it was a Sunday I didn't mind standing around waiting while taking in the sea air. 

Unbeknown to me, and to the agency, the crew had decided that they would keep the condemned brass fittings and sell them for scrap when they got back home. Also unfortunately they decided the best place to store the condemned parts was in the fire fighting lockers along side the brand new fittings.  The inspector opened the lockers and promptly threw an official swearing fit and started chucking the condemned fittings overboard, this generated loud moans of horror from the crew who could see their little bonus evaporating. He then decided that we needed further punishment so he ordered a lifeboat drill. 

This embarrassingly revealed some problems with the davits which were stuck in the standard reversed position by many applications of paint, however worse was to come.  Once the davits were coaxed to move, the lifeboat was lowered into the water with three crew members who promptly cast themselves adrift only to find that they couldn't start the lifeboat's engine. No amount of pressing buttons or manual cranking worked and to their horror the crank snapped, and they helplessly drifted away from the ship. This prompted more swearing from the inspector, an uncontrollable fit of giggling from me and general consternation amongst the ship's crew and officers.

At this moment of high drama and slapstick comedy a dauntless pair of Christians bearing bibles arrived (well it was Sunday) intent on converting the crew. As they climbed the gangway the tirade of bad language became louder and in complete lockstep they neatly turned around and departed without a word. Meanwhile the hapless trio in the lifeboat continued to drift away with no hope of rescue from the ship - the other lifeboat was on the wharf side of the ship. As the agency representative I was now desperately trying to think of who to call to rescue the trio in the lifeboat, the inspector was no help, the crew were useless and I really couldn't stop laughing. It was a dire situation.

Then one of the trio in the lifeboat found an oar, only the one mind you, but with some judicious sculling got the lifeboat back under the davits, hooked up and we were able to raise the lifeboat and get the unhappy trio back on board. The inspector stormed off but not before giving the chief officer and myself one final sulphurous blast about lax safety standards - but we didn't hear any further from officialdom and the ship sailed the next day, much to our great relief.               

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I am scandalised:

1. that the owners saw fit to risk the lives of crew by sending them to sea in a ship with such defective safety features;

2. that the port authorities apparently allowed the ship to put to sea after inspection with some of those defects unremedied; and

3. that the owners' agent found the situation amusing.