• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, runs as required said:

Competitive health banter is supposed usually to be the main topic but today it was all about floods and Ironbridge. They remembered I had lived on the Wharfage about 6 doors down from the Tontine pub in preparation for my Final year design thesis* and went to work each morning behind a Collet 0-6-0 + 3 GW coaches to Shrewsbury to work in Salop CC at the column.  Even  then (1959) the row of brick buildings regularly flooded and we just retreated upstairs.

The same was true of York when I taught at Kings Manor, the pubs along the river were rather proud of their flood marks. 

Did you run into Harry Rogers then? Tom Rolts description of Harry in his Autobiography is poetry, the picture drawn in the minds eye is an idyllic one. Sadly I can't pin down which house was his from the description....

The volume of water running down is very difficult to comprehend (as is how those flimsy looking tin defences manage to hold back such a vast weight of water).

Being on the Fens, I'm glad that Vermuyden dug the washes and straightened the Great Ouse outfall at times like these... although it would be nice to see some dredging of the Gt Ouse to increase its capacity....

Andy G

• Like 4

16 hours ago, uax6 said:

Did you run into Harry Rogers then? Tom Rolts description of Harry in his Autobiography is poetry, the picture drawn in the minds eye is an idyllic one. Sadly I can't pin down which house was his from the description....

The volume of water running down is very difficult to comprehend (as is how those flimsy looking tin defences manage to hold back such a vast weight of water).

Being on the Fens, I'm glad that Vermuyden dug the washes and straightened the Great Ouse outfall at times like these... although it would be nice to see some dredging of the Gt Ouse to increase its capacity....

Gosh!

I can't remember over 60 years ago with any trustworthy accuracy. My copy of 'Landscape with Machines' I must read again - it doesn't have an index - perhaps Harry Rogers lived up in drier Coalbrookdale.

Tom Rolt was actually most kind to me - via a group of friends at the Column Group. During a horse boat trip along across the Glyn valley and Pont Cysllte aqueducts he urged me to inflect my project to a Regional Museum with its base in Ironbridge between the Church and the Tontine pub (architecturally on axis with the bridge) to house a library and research core and to compile an Regional Inventory. This appealed to me greatly. 

He took me out in his unrestored green Alvis to Telford's  Longdon-on- Tern, then claimed to be a "world first" in cast iron canal aqueducts. 

I was hooked as a total Rolt disciple.

He advocated a kind of Betjeman style 'Shell Guide' one picked up at Ironbridge and set off to explore. This seems an outrageous idea now - actually contriving ways of increasing the sale of destructive fossil fuels!

dh

• Like 8

17 hours ago, uax6 said:

And then you end up with the situation described at the end of "The Nine Tailors"....  :scared:

19 minutes ago, Regularity said:

What, like model railway exhibitions?

Or Heritage Railways.  Cars to get there, and steam/diesel trains to ride on...

Having seen the Rocket and coaches, they are exquisite! There's one thing that really stands out to me though - the axleguards on the coaches! They and the springs are moulded (or sprayed) in yellow, then the front is picked out in black. However, that means that they have bright-yellow edges. A job for a small paintbrush and some black paint, if ever I manage to get a set.

I note that the tender doesn't seem to suffer from this.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Skinnylinny said:

the axleguards on the coaches!

I'm going to pick-up on this, which is unfair given that the term is so widely used in model-railway circles, but ......

They aren’t ‘axleguards’. The usual construction on a four-wheeled vehicle is ‘w-irons’ and ‘axleboxes’, but these coaches probably pre-date ‘w-irons’ so have what might be called ‘H-irons’, possibly castings, instead. I’m not sure what the proper term is, advanced forms of trunnion-bearings maybe?

i have a vague recollection that some railway vehicles actually do have guards, to prevent damage to the axles, but they aren’t the same thing as what nearly every railway modeller calls ‘axleguard’.

Edit: My above statement is proven comprehensively incorrect in subsequent posts, so best readers ignore it!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I come to the defence of the axleguard.

Putting the word into the carriage & wagon register on the Midland Railway Study Centre website turns up seven drawings with the word in their description, e.g. Drg. 849, "New Standard Axleguard for Carriages". 

And how about this, from a late version of Drg. 550 for the standard D299 five-plank goods and mineral wagon:

247318568_88-D1879D299highsidedwagonDrg550brakedetail.jpg.674c77eccfd2d9684a60739961f7c2d2.jpg

Crop from a drawing in the Study Centre collection.

I rather think it is the term W-iron that is an enthusiasts' and modellers' coinage.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I've also looked in A.J. Watts, Private Owner Wagons from the Ince Waggon & Ironworks Co (HMRS, 1998) which reproduces a number of RCH 1887 and 1907 specification detail drawings. These too name the part "axle guard" or "axleguard", though I note that the V-shaped piece that supports the brake gear is called a "vee hanger".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Well, that is a revelation, because I've spent my entire working life rubbing shoulders with fellow railway personnel, and I've never heard "axleguard" used for that component in the context of real wagons.

Perhaps its a pre-Grouping thing. But here's an LMS official naming of parts:

image.png.ccb05a63244ee0904a69be2cb9fbc2c8.png

(Borrowed from Cambrian's Wagonpedia)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I'm going to pick-up on this, which is unfair given that the term is so widely used in model-railway circles, but ......

They aren’t ‘axleguards’. The usual construction on a four-wheeled vehicle is ‘w-irons’ and ‘axleboxes’, but these coaches probably pre-date ‘w-irons’ so have what might be called ‘H-irons’, possibly castings, instead. I’m not sure what the proper term is, advanced forms of trunnion-bearings maybe?

i have a vague recollection that some railway vehicles actually do have guards, to prevent damage to the axles, but they aren’t the same thing as what nearly every railway modeller calls ‘axleguard’.

If you ever saw a TV series called 'Brass', you will realise that the term which covers all these mysteries is 'The Truscot Flange'.

Just so you know...  :)

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Well, I give-in, look at this: https://hmrs.org.uk/drawings/axleguard-for-wagons-with-4-block-vaccum-brake.html  and that is only one of dozens in the HMRS collection, including, strangest of all, the use of the term for a component of a 1938 Tube Stock bogie.

They were all at it! Well in to BR days too!

I've edited my post to make clear that I was wrong.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, ianathompson said:

Where would all the seals hang out then?!

Ian T

I would guess that Neal the Seal (who is actually a girl) will continue to bask on the moorings at Ten Mile Bank...

8 hours ago, runs as required said:

Gosh!

I can't remember over 60 years ago with any trustworthy accuracy. My copy of 'Landscape with Machines' I must read again - it doesn't have an index - perhaps Harry Rogers lived up in drier Coalbrookdale.

Tom Rolt was actually most kind to me - via a group of friends at the Column Group. During a horse boat trip along across the Glyn valley and Pont Cysllte aqueducts he urged me to inflect my project to a Regional Museum with its base in Ironbridge between the Church and the Tontine pub (architecturally on axis with the bridge) to house a library and research core and to compile an Regional Inventory. This appealed to me greatly. 

He took me out in his unrestored green Alvis to Telford's  Longdon-on- Tern, then claimed to be a "world first" in cast iron canal aqueducts. 

I was hooked as a total Rolt disciple.

He advocated a kind of Betjeman style 'Shell Guide' one picked up at Ironbridge and set off to explore. This seems an outrageous idea now - actually contriving ways of increasing the sale of destructive fossil fuels!

dh

I sadly missed out on seeing Tom's Alvis at the NRM when it was there, if I ever win the lottery, a Duck's Back Alvis is certainly on my shopping list...

I hope he was in real life how I imagine him to be....

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, robmcg said:

If you ever saw a TV series called 'Brass', you will realise that the term which covers all these mysteries is 'The Truscot Flange'.

Just so you know...  :)

That was a great series.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

@Edwardian, please could you take and post a photo of a carriage alongside one of your Gloucester 10 ton wagons, to give a sense of scale? Clearly these models are small but I've not yet got a real sense of just how small.

IMG_7545.JPG.f28db2a7208736db7f663b42e39eb328.JPG

Very small, as you guess.  The replica coaches at York have 3' diameter wheels, so really are the offspring of a pre-Grouping wagon that got together with a stagecoach.

And, to celebrate this special day ....

EDIT: It struck me that I should compare these with the, nominally HO 1830s, Spanish coaches.  Please bear in mind that these were very hastily assembled and painted (probably around 3 am) in preparation for Tabitha's Victorian railway presentation at school, and, so, need re-working.  Also, I really must get round to fixing Tiger/Lion's coupling rods the right way up.

Anyway, I think they show the Spanish coaches scale well for 1830s British outline stock in 4mm, though they are wider that the Rocket coaches, which, perhaps, reflects the traditional 'Iberian Gauge'

IMG_7549.JPG.1f0f6952b6b951d55a693e2a576ac91b.JPG

IMG_7550.JPG.0d63f84f44ea548c55902df7cad96a81.JPG

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1