• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dave John said:

But stuff it, heres a pic of a couple of bits of resin I have been playing with over the last two weeks. Almost done now, but at least its back to pre grouping railways.

1525940287_pdo1.JPG.301cd350205e4e0e53d611467c3059c3.JPG  

What, and whose?

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The answer that occurred to me was some slight amendment of your game shooting laws.

The last one that was caught before the border was closed was made to clean up his mess and fined $NZ400.00.

Apparently he was seen commiting the act on someone's lawn and photographed by a passing motorist (definitely not the photo of the year by any definition) and reported to the local constabulary.

Hopefully he is now back in his own country and voiding his bowels wherever he pleases over there with no plans at all of ever coming back here..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Annie said:

The last one that was caught before the border was closed was made to clean up his mess and fined $NZ400.00.

Apparently he was seen commiting the act on someone's lawn and photographed by a passing motorist (definitely not the photo of the year by any definition) and reported to the local constabulary.

Hopefully he is now back in his own country and voiding his bowels wherever he pleases over there with no plans at all of ever coming back here..

Still, from his perspective, there will be some corner of some New Zealand lawn that will be forever ....

• Funny 7

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Can you get the dark chocolate ones? They're as rare as hen's teeth round here, even in normal times. 

They only seem to emerge around Christmas time, the only ones about at present are the milk chocolate ones.

Talking of panic-buying, now its bin bags, all sizes. People seem to be just picking stuff up at random.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Not a conspiracy theory  as such, but due to Austraila being a little behind the times 1915 was still the Edwardian era, so attached is an account of a Jihadi terrorist attack on Australian soil way before the rest of the world caught up and had them.. Also features an Australian Picnic special:

306320976_picnictrain.jpg.200497b1b0d6768c95868cc945a64611.jpg

this is very clearly fake. the brake levers are much too clumsy, the figures are from Modelu's Pendon range, and the photographer was too lazy to fake a backdrop as you can see the tongue and groove wall cladding, with a commercial moulding holding it together on the top. Honestly. I expect better from this thread.    (Interesting story though)

Edited by webbcompound
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Phar Lap? Have a heart...

One consolation - nobody is likely to challenge our neighbours' claim to L&P.

By the way you forgot the pavlova. 

And also you forgot Midnight Oil, Hugh Jackman, AC/DC and Felix the Cat. 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Annie said:

Stone is no respecter of fingers though so proper stout leather working gloves were essential equipment.

Fortunately the cottage is mostly local sandstone so quite forgiving. But there's the odd whinstone lump and that is evil stuff. Gloves wear out, sharp chips fly at random and it's heavy.

On topic! The cottage was built by the Caledonian to plans by Joseph Locke. 

Alan

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

They only seem to emerge around Christmas time

Same here but even then only in a few shops and, as I say, for the last couple of years not at all.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Fortunately the cottage is mostly local sandstone so quite forgiving. But there's the odd whinstone lump and that is evil stuff. Gloves wear out, sharp chips fly at random and it's heavy.

On topic! The cottage was built by the Caledonian to plans by Joseph Locke. 

Alan

Greywacke was the local stone I was working with.  Heavy and quite hard so I had to be careful of my fingers.  By digging about in various junk shops I was able to find quite a useful selection of stone working tools.  My 'ex' used to accuse me all the time of not acting according to my gender, but then their only skill was shouting abuse for hours at a time without scarcely drawing breath so what did they know.

• Friendly/supportive 10

Re; Stone

I think most building stone around here (Durham - City of) is Carboniferous Sandstone. I spend some time - and will again this afternoon trying to emulate this on my railway.

Re: Help

This is nothing to do with Pre-Grouping or Norfolk railways, but I did mention a while ago that I have been much delayed by an electrical problem.

It is described .... here....

Should any clever people from this thread be able to help, I promise that the next vehicle or building I will construct will definitely be pre-grouping!

(Although I should say that I am currently working on refining some LNER built CCTs - but they will be finished soon!)

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 19/03/2020 at 22:27, monkeysarefun said:

Not a conspiracy theory  as such, but due to Austraila being a little behind the times 1915 was still the Edwardian era, so attached is an account of a Jihadi terrorist attack on Australian soil way before the rest of the world caught up and had them.. Also features an Australian Picnic special:

306320976_picnictrain.jpg.200497b1b0d6768c95868cc945a64611.jpg

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2014/november/1414760400/nicholas-shakespeare/outback-jihad

An absolutely fascinating tale, thank you for that.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Well, the pubs are shut.

Welcome to Day One of the Apocalypse!

We're moving to that stage at present. But the strangest one was that Bondi Beach was shut down

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-21/bondi-beach-closed-over-crowds-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/12077618

On balance I'd say a beach in the open air and with a healthy breeze would be far less likely place to propagate the virus than a pub with all those customers in a confined place.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Well, the pubs are shut.

A lovely morning for stepping outside with the dogs.

I'm enjoying my brief sojourn in the North while No. 1 Son packs his bags.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Heard anything from Wroxham?

:triniti:

You know, while out with the dogs this morning, it struck me that any CA modelling could take a turn towards the 1909 Wroxham Zombie Apocalypse

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

I can't find anything online about the 1909 Wroxham Zombie Apocalypse. Obviously Patrick Quinn (Legion of Honour,  Chevalier of the Order of the Dannebrog, Order of Vasa, Order of St Olav, Order of St Stanislas of Russia, Order of the Redeemer of Greece, Order of the Crown of Italy,  Order of Villa Viçosa of Portugal, member of the first class of the Order of Military Merit of Spain, member of the fifth class of the Royal Victorian Order, and the King's Police Medal) and his Secret Squirrels had it suppressed at the time. His list of decorations gives a strong hint that he was involved in some kind of major international conspiracy, probably the same one that led to a sizeable slice of Norfolk disappearing from all maps. Thank goodness the worthies of Castle Aching are struggling personfully to rectify this.

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Well, the pubs are shut.

It worse than that, I've just bought the last box of Earl Grey from our local Sainsbury's....  :shout:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Argos said:

It worse than that, I've just bought the last box of Earl Grey from our local Sainsbury's....  :shout:

PG* Tip of the day
if you use Earl Grey loose tea in an infuser you can use it again and again - just leaving it in a tad longer each day. I learnt this tip about tea leaves working in China !

dh

*Post Grouping

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

A lovely morning for stepping outside with the dogs.

I'm enjoying my brief sojourn in the North while No. 1 Son packs his bags.

It would be but we’re isolating.  It’s going to be a long 2 weeks with a four and eight year old...

David

• Friendly/supportive 6