• RMweb Gold

Well it has been quite pleasant working in the garden although the wind was very cold. I saw video on Bondi Beach on the news  it looked to be packed and they were not keeping their distance from each other. The people I feel most sorry for is my Niece and her husband their baby was born prematurely at 24 weeks although that was  two years ago his lungs have yet to catch up with normal growth and is always gatting chest infections. For the first year they had to take oxygen with them all the time in case he had trouble breathing. Coronavirus could be disastrous for him.

Don

• Friendly/supportive 10

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

OMG

I've just done this livestream interview for Jenny Kirk's virtual expo on Youtube.

It turns out I sound like Boris Johnson

(aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrchhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Just watched it - the resemblance is uncanny!

Could be useful.....  :wacko:

I see the British Broadcasting Corporation are broadcasting a morale raising film on Television 2 this afternoon.

It m[ght be salutary viewing for all these spineless "panic buyers"!

Edited by Hroth
Expanded comment
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Just watched it - the resemblance is uncanny!

Why has no one ever told me?!!!?!

The Dóttir, who was present throughout the ordeal, insists that it was the mic that made me sound like that, and that I don't in person (I could have kissed her for that).  I pray she's right! 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Clearwater,

we’re half way through 14 day isolation as possible plague-bearers (thankfully no sinister signs, and no recurrence/persistence of youngest’s fever that initiated this) and one thing I’d highlight from the government website is this:

If possible, you should not go out even to buy food or other essentials, other than exercise, and in that case at a safe distance from others.

Going out to exercise is an essential preventative of creeping-insanity IMO, and we’ve had fresh air and exercise every day, while steering a very wide course around everyone else.

Hope it goes well, Kevin

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

38 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The Dóttir, who was present throughout the ordeal, insists that it was the mic that made me sound like that, and that I don't in person (I could have kissed her for that).  I pray she's right! 

It may be observed that, if the Mic changed your voice to what BoJo sounds like on video - then Mics pointed in his direction would make similar alterations - and both of your off-mic voices are still similar.....    :taunt:   ...:scare:

Julian

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Donw said:

Well it has been quite pleasant working in the garden although the wind was very cold. I saw video on Bondi Beach on the news  it looked to be packed and they were not keeping their distance from each other. 

Don

And the idiots just let four cruise ships in and at least one of them had COVID-19 infected people on board.

I couldn't believe it when I saw the Bondi Beach photos.  Some people are just complete idiots.

Bulk toilet paper heists seem to be turning up as a news item, - or so I noticed when I was reading the Telegraph last night.

• Agree 1

@Nearholmer

Thanks Kevin.  We’ve been very good so far and not left the house since Wednesday morning.  We’ve played in the garden but living where we do, it’s almost impossible to get out without getting too close to others.  However, I strongly suspect that if we’re seeing no signs by middle of the week, then we’ll have to get out... like you, our isolation was prompted by a four year old’s temperature and cough.  He seems better so probably just normal child hood stuff. Fortunately our childcare lives with us so when it comes to work, we can log in and do video calls etc, both our offices have been closed, and our nanny can look after the kids.  Delivery services seem to work fairly efficiently and a regular supply of railway books has managed to arrive! Enjoyed “The Final Link” and the Oakwood ”GW and Gc joint railway” today.  Both prompting some interesting thoughts!

@Edwardian I shall have to look out for your video interview!

David

• Like 2

Thank you for that James.

It's odd though. You sound entirely human.  Approachable. Normal, even.   

Must have been the miike...   because I KNOW that you are in fact an eccentric genius who never sleeps... and most likely mumbles incoherently in between talking to dogs. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Not Johnson at all, James' tone is a touch higher and he explained something coherently.

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

My awful ramblings from 1 hour 30 minutes in ...

[the horror ... the horror]

I listened very closely to that and in consequence have made a disingenuous post on the relevant thread in the Rails of Sheffield sub-forum.

• Informative/Useful 1

Embedded videos seem to be struggling at the moment probably due to demand.  If you click on play then quickly scamper down to the bottom right of the screen and click on YouTube the video will play there.  If you can't get there quickly enough you get an error message and have to reload the page.

Alan

Re: Television programming

There seem to be quite a lot of 1940/50s British 'we can get through' this films being broadcast at the moment.

'In which we Serve' appeared this afternoon while I was having tea (in a break from wiring).

Is this an attempt to inspire us all with our heroic past?

Re: Television advertisements

As of yesterday, there still seem to be quite a number of Cruise lines being advertised. One does realise that contracts are placed a long time in advance, but surely there must be a mechanism for revisions to schedules at time of broadcast. Perhaps we could raise a list of 'inappropriate adverts' for present circumstances ?

Also - progress on my railway!

(More to be posted soon!)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Pushing away for the biscuit layout again, Stephen.  ;)

Clearly the next item should be a Maryport & Carlisle horse box.  2 built in 1882, one lost in 1884 (believed stolen by the Furness) the other survived until 1919 as a potato store at Aspatria. No known photographs or drawings exist so little research is required.  If needed I can supply dimensions of a Cumbrian potato.

Alan

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, drmditch said:

As of yesterday, there still seem to be quite a number of Cruise lines being advertised.

You would have to be either stupid or suicidal, - or possibly both, - to even consider going on a cruise at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

10 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Re: Television programming

There seem to be quite a lot of 1940/50s British 'we can get through' this films being broadcast at the moment.

'In which we Serve' appeared this afternoon while I was having tea (in a break from wiring).

Is this an attempt to inspire us all with our heroic past?

We're an unhappy breed

And very bored indeed

When reminded of something Nelson said.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Argos said:

It worse than that, I've just bought the last box of Earl Grey from our local Sainsbury's....  :shout:

Surely everyone must have bought all the toilet paper and Earl Grey that is needed by now so how much longer must this shopping saga last?

Brian.

4 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Surely everyone must have bought all the toilet paper and Earl Grey that is needed by now so how much longer must this shopping saga last?

Brian.

Well, you'd think.

Now they've shut the boozers, Morrison's wine shelves were stripped this afternoon.  Yes, the Great Hand-Washed have panic-bought all the wine.

Now I know this is the Apocalypse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1