3 hours ago, runs as required said:

Ah !  Quite brought a lump to my throat this (late 1950s ?) pic.

My last - and current - pair of Vibrum soled* Bogtrotting Boots bought at the ex-army store on the ramp down to the Turner Memorial at the back beside the Midland station.

All buses terminated/called on the station approach during Well dressings week when the TM area in front of the crescent was closed off.

edit

1990202453_buxtonpanorama.jpg.4e262c74fb7e28500568d7605b30f646.jpg

This might be of interest to some

It is a composite panorama I drew for wife's mother and stepfather after they moved from Buxton (just above the L NW station) to Norfolk to be near my sister in law and young family.  StepfatherTommy Litchfield was from Peak Forest, an LMS signalman since the late 1930s until retirement in the 1980s 

It returned to me from hanging in their living room. I tried to draw as in the 1950s from in front of the Town Hall (but forgot the old Empire Hotel)

dh

* they were/are absolutely lethal on wet upland 'pavement'  in limestone districts .

Crikey, David, what a brilliant drawing!

(Get thee to Norfolk and paint us a backscene!!!!) 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Closer detail around Blackwall, courtesy of the RCH:

1400348240_Millwall_Docks_(Harrow_Lane)__Poplar_RJD_56.jpg.8c53f3a0bb202cdfed296acfd10d358a.jpg

Note those little bits of Midland, LNW, Great Northern, and even Great Western sneaking in there. Midland and GN access was over the Great Eastern, LNWR and I presume GW over the North London. The Midland was certainly working its own trains to its depots, was the Great Northern doing so too? I don't know about the LNW and GW but my hunch is that their traffic was being worked in NL trains.

EDIT: Here's a photo of a Great Northern locomotive, brake, and wagons alongside the Great Western's Poplar depot. I'd failed to notice that the GN's Poplar depot was reached over NL metals, whereas its Blackwall depot is on a spur of the GE.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, runs as required said:

If its Hilda style Cheesecake you are after,  may I recommend this

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2020/mar/27/ukraines-railroad-ladies-in-pictures

I like the green tiled roof, balcony and steps lady’s box best.

dh

Am I the only one having difficulty with the description, until I clicked to the Ukraine website...

Julian

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Crikey, David, what a brilliant drawing!

(Get thee to Norfolk and paint us a backscene!!!!) 

Well if you want paint Buxton station , this is the one that was in Norfolk.. 

Buxton_Lammas_railway_station_1958045_36ef36dd.jpg

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Through engines and brakes on goods trains to the docks and to Leman St area?

Nobody seems totally sure which locos worked through to where; it was discussed at length, inconclusively, in another thread.

Oh dear!  I think I may have been guilty of that.

I asked a question about how far east old GW steam (ie not LT owned panniers) worked. WR panniers used to work widened lines to Farringdon in my day (when working at Kings + in early 1960s), could they have once worked onto LT&S/GE joint via Bow like the GW electrics to Southend ?  I note the big GW goods shed is accessed via a head shunt on the RCH map .

[That earlier inconclusive thread I recall also discussed pre-grouping companies working to their subterranean goods sidings below Smithfield Market ] 

dh

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Lots of Horizon there....

5 hours ago, runs as required said:

If its Hilda style Cheesecake you are after,  may I recommend this

So many Hildas! They look as if they'd take no nonsense...

Not saying any more.  :whistle:

• Agree 2

If ever I can get to the Bure Valley railway again, I'll have to get off there and (carefully) have  a look over that cliff.

"Welcome to Norfolk - The End of the World is Nigh", I can just see that on a road sign.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, the Edge of the World is just behind the signal box 

1664776683_Edgeoftheworld(2).jpg.95dfdba5d4c181dc30aebd8c8ccf0124.jpg

No. According to the intro to the US National Public Radio in the so-called 'TED Hour'.   .. a breathlessly enthusiastic teenage male voice says, "The true nature of reality,  (hesitates for effect) ...lies just beyond".

Latin subjunctive is what I say! .   btw TED   =  technology, entertainment, design.     With it you can learn everything....   

I am thinking of a pic of another GWR Star...  be warned.

Edited by robmcg

Re. the Ukraine railway ladies, Mrs CKPR-to-be, myself and the step-daughter-to-be took a trip from Prague to Salzburg by train in 2018 and I was very  impressed by the way in which the station masters and mistresses on both the CD and OBB lines met every train in full uniform in a manner that that I presume must once have been everyday practice in pre-grouping days at least.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Hroth said:

Is this Social Distancing/Stay indoors thing getting to you?

But the perfect look for the "Young Lady Pretending to Be A Pageboy" look that Shakespeare appeared to be so fond of...

We need a new sequence of terror.....  :jester:

I've just been to the shops, got the important things, but the hens teeth items are still just that...

However, the queues outside Sainsburys, Morrisons and Aldi are apocalyptic!

Aha, got 8 toilet rolls from Aldi this morning!

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

We did discuss her early family theatricals - or was that on another thread? - who knows what went on in 1780s Hampshire.

EDIT. Sorry, on second thoughts, probably the wrong JA. I'm becoming confused. The pond should have given it away.

I thought that was Mr Darcy...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Northroader said:

And here’s a map for Mr. Schooner,

RCH London railway map 1935 - Docklands extract

That would look interesting with a map of the present-day Docklands Light Railway overlaid. Beyond my skill set though I'm afraid.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TheQ said:

Buxton_Lammas_railway_station_1958045_36ef36dd.jpg

I'm in love.  So utterly perfect.  Will I be able to create such beauty with my own Norfolk layout.  Alas I will ever be fated to fall short of such perfection.

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, the Edge of the World is just behind the signal box 

1664776683_Edgeoftheworld(2).jpg.95dfdba5d4c181dc30aebd8c8ccf0124.jpg

My digital Norfolk layout has quite a lot of those.  

5 hours ago, CKPR said:

Re. the Ukraine railway ladies, Mrs CKPR-to-be, myself and the step-daughter-to-be took a trip from Prague to Salzburg by train in 2018 and I was very  impressed by the way in which the station masters and mistresses on both the CD and OBB lines met every train in full uniform in a manner that that I presume must once have been everyday practice in pre-grouping days at least.

I really loved those uniforms in that photo collection.  The present crop of Uk railway operators should take notice.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

If ever I can get to the Bure Valley railway again, I'll have to get off there and (carefully) have  a look over that cliff.

"Welcome to Norfolk - The End of the World is Nigh", I can just see that on a road sign.

Nay bor,  the sign say " Hold you hard bor,  you be fall off"

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

Mornin' All

I hope everyone is safe and well.

I went out yesterday for 'essential supplies'; no loo rolls, but wine at least, so I can now face Isolation and Death with equanimity.

My previous supply run had been a week ago to the big Sainsbury's in Darlington, as then I'd also needed fuel.  I liberated a pair of disposable gloves from the garage forecourt and headed in.  Wide aisles aided social distancing.  There were no loo rolls and very little wine.  I found that most fellow shoppers were covering their faces with scarves, so I felt a little under-dressed as I skipped around the aisles singing Home in Pasadena softly to myself. I tell you, that song's infectious.

This week, heading into Barney Morrisons, I didn't sing, but raffishly sported a red scarf around my face, only to find that Apocalypse Etiquette was different in Barney from Darlo.  Upon being ushered into to the relatively cramped interior, no masks or scarves were in evidence at all, just me.  I felt like the Masked Avenger, comically over-dressed. 

So, as with President Trump; to mask, or not to mask, that is the question.  Well, I think on balance, and taking into account that, unlike the present occupant of the Oval Office, I lack the protection from infection afforded by a "resolute desk" (can I have heard that right ?!?) , I will continue to appear in public as the masked Scarlet Avenger (pace Victor Meldrew).  That, and the fact that I'm not a gibbering orange man-baby moron, of course. 

What, I wonder, is Apocalypse Etiquette in your neck of the woods?

And, remember, if you go down to the woods today, you'll be filmed by a police drone and fined.   

To provide some historical perspective, US presidential incumbents during Peak Beard, Rutherford B Hayes, James Garfield and Benjamin Harrison, all wore full beards. So, by way of a salutary warning of what can happen if you don't stay safely behind a Resolute Desk, for Beard of the Day, I offer you James A Garfield, 20th president of the US ...

469729614_James_Abram_Garfield_photo_portrait_seated.jpg.75d69bcbdd012a9d65e9edbbc47b68bd.jpg

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Aha, got 8 toilet rolls from Aldi this morning!

Four adults (less 5 months) in the house. I had bought a 24 pack in the normal course of events before the panic started, the previous 24 pack being down to its last layer of 8 rolls - the usual trigger to repurchase. The first roll from the new pack was started on the morning of lockdown Monday - 23 March. I have observed that one roll lasts a little under 3 days. So I reckon we're good until late May.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, my wife does not let me out shopping, she goes herself.  She intended last week to get enough for two weeks but I think she underestimated.  Last week a not so crowded Sainsburys, this week a crowded Waitrose.  They had loo rolls but no pasta, or flour of any kind.  Masks are not in evidence.

When we go down to the woods for our daily walk, we have a forest near us, a royal one at that, there are not that many people about.  Those that are always make great efforts to wait until you have gone by if there is a restriction in the path, or walk as far away as possible as they pass.  We crossed the road to avoid a couple of Asians walking towards us and mused to myself that only in this crisis would that be considered to be a friendly gesture.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2