44 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

The only comment on my place of residence is that it's been b*ggered by royalty...

Make of that what you will. Needless to say we consider it superior to Portsmouth and Brighton... but still want to flee Northwards!

Ah, Bognor...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

So sad to hear of a place's decline...

y6.jpg.dad6ebb149a52a59e0cbd035f7acaff0.jpg

Actually, I think the picture I posted concerned the replacement of the gentleman's previous conveyance.

Grand Theft Auto, Wisbech Stylee

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, wagonman said:

For those of us pinning our hopes for a return to normality on the imminent discovery of a vaccine, may I just point out that the Common Cold – against which we have been fighting unsuccessfully for centuries – is a Coronavirus.

We can always hope they find something similar to flu vaccinations, fairly effective and of most use to the most affected.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, wagonman said:

For those of us pinning our hopes for a return to normality on the imminent discovery of a vaccine, may I just point out that the Common Cold – against which we have been fighting unsuccessfully for centuries – is a Coronavirus.

Have a nice day.

That is why I mentioned the possibility of it being like the common cold. It is one of the possibilities. Things would settle down after time but it could be a permenant worry for those with certain health problems.

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Hroth said:

We can always hope they find something similar to flu vaccinations, fairly effective and of most use to the most affected.

3 minutes ago, Donw said:

That is why I mentioned the possibility of it being like the common cold. It is one of the possibilities. Things would settle down after time but it could be a permenant worry for those with certain health problems.

Don

So, basically ...

1082146383_RemainIndoors05.jpg.f79b3d51bacf623740e704789a5d7c35.jpg AND THEN  ....

161027590_RemainIndoors01.jpg.ea577a7734eb2e3db1ad54ab8a9e1bd1.jpg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Edwardian said:

So, basically ...

1082146383_RemainIndoors05.jpg.f79b3d51bacf623740e704789a5d7c35.jpg AND THEN  ....

161027590_RemainIndoors01.jpg.ea577a7734eb2e3db1ad54ab8a9e1bd1.jpg

This staying indoors and isolating is to slow the spread of the disease for several reasons.

To stop the NHS being overwelmed by too many having it at once. So that healthcare for it and other things is still available.

To keep essential services going. If too many were ill at once there could be problems with food supply and other things.

If we can either find an effective treatment and or a vaccine we will be able to control the disease. If we cannot find either the only course of action is to allow a slow spread through the populus so that we all in turn get exposed to it. The number seriously ill will always be manageable. Very regretably there will be some deaths but it would keep the number as low as possible.

If we can find a treatment and/or vaccine the use of a lockdown and social distancing until that is available makes good sense. If we cannot develop either then we need to balance the lockdown etc. with the need to allow the disease to gradually spread through. It makes sense to me to allow the number of new infections to occur at at rate we can manage and track and trace may help. The more cases we can cope with at a time the sooner we could get through the stage when lockdown makes sense.

I know you find this very stressfull but the death rates are fairly low. We face many dangers in our lives but we still cross the road, drive our cars, etc. Many ride fast motorbikes or undertake dangerous sports.  This dangerous phase of Corvid19 will pass and it will be just another of the dangers in life. It is also certain that even if we cannot find a cure or a vaccine we will still be able to improve the care we can give and reduce the death rates. Be positive.

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, Buhar said:

I've triangulated our position. Anyone know the best way out of Sh1tcreek? 

P.s. - Paddle appears to be mislaid. 

Alan 

(relieved to be in Scotland). 

Just caught up with Bozza, and I note that, from Wednesday, you can exercise all you want up Sh1t Creek, otherwise it's still ...

'362752188_RemainIndoors09.png.635b8891aa862e9caf641c9d37182889.png

So, a morale boosting number is called for, to remind us that we've seen bad times before and come through them, with few illusions, but at least with a sense of humour ...

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Donw said:

This dangerous phase of Corvid19 will pass and it will be just another of the dangers in life. It is also certain that even if we cannot find a cure or a vaccine we will still be able to improve the care we can give and reduce the death rates.

We have seen this error before. Is it just due to 'spell checkers'?

On behalf of my most entertaining Crow, Magpie, and Jackdaw visitors referred to in a previous post please may I ask that false rumours are not spread!

(And clearly these days anything is possible!)

I understand that Covid-19 is an acronym for Corona Virus Disease 2019

Corvids are a widespread family of strong and intelligent birds, commonly referred to as Crows.

Here is one such bird, who having succeeded in knocking down and emptying a hopper feeder, is now wondering if it s worthwhile flying off with!

Crow_01.jpg.29e5b7fbe54a5a415bb4f8243f164e36.jpg

• Like 8

Possibly the spellcheckers know that some corvids are traditional harbingers of doom (or all sorts of other things, if they happen to be multiple magpies). 

I thought the PM's message contained all the material that would have allowed it to be clear and concise, but that it somehow managed not to be.

(BTW, I think he said words to the affect "From Wednesday you can go out of your home to exercise as much as you like, including sitting on a bench in a park.". When since was sitting on a bench in a park a form of exercise? I'd always considered it to be a form of rest, but perhaps I'm just not fidgety enough.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

(BTW, I think he said words to the affect "From Wednesday you can go out of your home to exercise as much as you like, including sitting on a bench in a park.". When since was sitting on a bench in a park a form of exercise? I'd always considered it to be a form of rest, but perhaps I'm just not fidgety enough.)

The race to be first to the bench more than compensates.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

With the need to maintain social distancing at all times reducing available seating capacity, park benches are yet another instance of Government failure to ramp up the numbers required!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Possibly the spellcheckers know that some corvids are traditional harbingers of doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KsNCLjMgTM

15 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Cambridgeshire

Having lived in the Cambridgeshire Fens for 8 years, I'm afraid I do consider that I have earned the right to be mildly satirical on the subject!  I think we all know a Wisbech, or a Whittlesey [insert name of insular and deprived  town of choice here].

Welcome to Wisbech!

A 30 pound fine for being outdoors.... here its $1000, our government obviously considers our "natures  more  simple folk"  are much better off then yours are..

Have never been to Florida, but it must be up there given the fact  that you can play the "Florida Man" game.

Which Florida  man are you?

Rules: Go to google and enter Florida Man and a date (day and month) example your birthday. Eg: Florida man 10th May 

Marvel at result.

Keep trying different dates for endless entertainment 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, sem34090 said:

So sad to hear of a place's decline...

y6.jpg.dad6ebb149a52a59e0cbd035f7acaff0.jpg

Aaaahh!!! Wisbech sun drenched home of the galloping garden shed.

I scratch built one of those using an old Nellie chassis. Not perfect, more impressionistic mainly Evergreen plastic   -

Y6 Tram Engine 20.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Have never been to Florida, but it must be up there given the fact  that you can play the "Florida Man" game.

Which Florida  man are you?

Rules: Go to google and enter Florida Man and a date (day and month) example your birthday. Eg: Florida man 10th May 

Marvel at result.

Keep trying different dates for endless entertainment 

Now that is bloody hilarious - I did my birth date and the result was

https://www.wtxl.com/news/florida-man-denies-syringes-found-inside-rectum-are-his/article_48a3290c-12b9-11e9-800e-dfb4b2e07a8f.html

• Funny 5

13 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I have several to choose from , my favourite though is :

"Florida Man Arrested For Allegedly Assaulting Girlfriend While Dressed As Dinosaur"

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 5

Speaking of magpies. Our Australian variety is known for various things. One of the more endearing traits is that the young magpies that have just learnt fly and become adults have a habit of attaching themselves to either their own flock or to any moving animal they think they might like.

For a week or so,  a couple of years ago, I had a young magpie that would follow me around when I was outside and give me presents like twigs and such. It then took to wanting to follow me inside so I had to start ignoring it until it discovered that magpies were more preferable company. It was funny as it would wait patiently at the door until I came out then would trot around after me.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

It was actually my Birthday yesterday. However after excercising the dog, I couldn't go out somewhere. There was lots of jobs needing doing at home so I spent the day mixing concrete for the foundations of the garden shed. At least it is train related as the garden railways trains will be stored in there and possibly I may build a 7mm layout inside.  Opened a can of beer while watching Van der Walk (a bit of escapism).  I do know how to celebrate!

Don

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7