2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m with you on the unpleasantness of a socially- distanced world, Edwardian. I’d count myself as borderline misanthropic, but find being near people, yet consciously separated from them by space, barrier, mask etc. really uncomfortable and strange.

I feel exactly like that, plus, in my case, stay at home and SD robs me of the delusion, like that of a smoker who believes he could give up at any time if he wanted, that I could chose to make myself presentable and make the effort with other human beings at any time, just not today.  It has at least taught me that this was a delusion, in my case, and that now I very well might want to make the effort to engage in whatever human interaction is left to us. 

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

My youngest really hates what little she’s experienced of it, which is a good indication of how unnatural it is, and finds the whole business of SD on public footpaths really stressful.

It is, and I sympathise. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

I don't know. It is quite probable.

Last time I got a discharge from jury service it arrived from the Home Office (or wherever) in Welsh.

Very handy as we are almost about as far from Wales as it is possible to get in th UK.

Fortunately i) they had rung to tell me this ii) Carwyn, down the pub, confirmed it said what it said.

I pointed their error out to them and asked for confirmation in English.

I am still waiting.

Ian T

I wonder if you'd asked, in Welsh, for confirmation in English, you'd have had more luck.

Probably not. 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

And of course we now have public transport being a thing to avoid... So the private car is the place to be, so all that work to get people out of their cars is undone. Not to mention the throwaway ness of the PPE that all and sundry are using... The end is nigh I fear...

Andy G

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

You can't blame me for this one ...

Ha!

YOU brought it up, and bags o' Zombies/Babes (who also appear to be zombies) too.  What are you going to do with approximately 200 zombies?  Infest Castle Aching as well as your Bridge diorama?  :crazy:

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

But it's all true!!!

More or less.

You seem to have missed out the Captain Roundabout riots. Machine breakers were commonplace in Norfolk in the early C19...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, wagonman said:

You seem to have missed out the Captain Roundabout riots. Machine breakers were commonplace in Norfolk in the early C19...

Were they magic in some way?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, wagonman said:

Machine breakers were commonplace in Norfolk in the early C19..

There were machines in Norfolk in the C19/C20/C21*?

*Delete as applicable.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Sadly, I  do not need any artificial stimulants in order to come up with this crap. But, nothing I could make up is half as weird as much of what has happened over the last five years. Inhabiting alternative realities is probably just my mind's defensive reaction. 

Which is a good sign that you can think for yourself. A vivid imagination is a big plus. Drugs may make people feel better but soon become a big focus of their lives. They cease to forget they can enjoy themselves without the drug.

Look on bright side scince this started no one has rammed into me with their shopping trolley or rudely reach across in front of me to grab something. In fact both in the shops and elsewhere everyone has been polite and curteous. I do seem to see a lot of people I haven't seen before, families with children, young ladies in skimpy atire running by these often give me a smile as they pass, although it may be the somewhat scruffy but endearing terrier that earns the smile rather than the old git on the other end of the lead. Once you become accustomed to it there is no problem having a conversation with someone 2 to 3 metres away. It can be quite social going for a walk just avoiding being close.

I can see children may find it difficult missing spending time with their friends. It may be worse for an only child. On the other hand it has given families more time to be together apart from those of keyworkers who are bearing the brunt of all this. The keyworkers may be the ones suffering the most.

BTW Celebrations are in order today we were actually able to buy some wholemeal flour in the local co-op this is the first sight of any wholemeal flour since the panic-demic started and swept flour from the super market shelves. I have also discovered the local spar stocks some excellent cakes from a local bakery. Having consumed a rather tasty coffe and walnut one I have re-stocked with a carrot cake. 

Good health to all

Don  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

FWIW the English version of the Magic Roundabout (generally regarded, at least by the English, as a vast improvement) was written and voiced by Emma Thompson's father, Eric. Another little known fact for Michael Caine's collection.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, wagonman said:

FWIW the English version of the Magic Roundabout (generally regarded, at least by the English, as a vast improvement) was written and voiced by Emma Thompson's father, Eric. Another little known fact for Michael Caine's collection.

My mother was forever mentioning that. She must have attended the same school of little known facts as you.

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, Donw said:

The keyworkers may be the ones suffering the most.

Yes, I haven't been near to a healthcare or care home "setting", as we apparently must call them, since all this dying began, but I have made my weekly trek to the supermarket.  The staff there just had to stick at it, all the way through the panic buying moron-hordes and for weeks on end without screens or any protection, not that what I think they have got now can be that effective.

I think they deserve a bloody medal, to be quite frank.  They certainly have my thanks.

Also giving signal service are our posties and our various couriers are working hard, too. 

Seen little of the police, which suggests a commendable lightness of touch, but we are not an over-policed community in any case, unlike some places I've lived.  When in the Fens, on the 9 mile drive to the kids' school, I'd often pass 8 or 9 police cars.  

Meanwhile, back in Leicestershire, my parents are being very well looked after by local volunteers. 

All these people, and others I haven't come across, are putting themselves in harms way, more or less, to keep our world turning.  Certainly it is something I notice and appreciate. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Agree 11

2 hours ago, ianathompson said:

There were machines in Norfolk in the C19/C20/C21*?

*Delete as applicable.

Ian T

Oh come on, we're not that backwater. 

Does a washboard count as a machine? 

Joking aside, Norfolk was actually a centre of traction engine construction for decades thanks to Charles Burrell, who was born in and worked out of Thetford. 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

My mother was forever mentioning that. She must have attended the same school of little known facts as you.

It must be a function of my age, but I always think of that fact in inverted form - "Did you know she's Eric Thompson's daughter?"

I remember her debut https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/tutti-frutti-john-byrne-518061

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Joking aside, Norfolk was actually a centre of traction engine construction for decades thanks to Charles Burrell, who was born in and worked out of Thetford. 

RH Clark lists 42 builders in Steam Engine Builders of Norfolk.

I suppose that my riposte must be surely you mean Savage's of King's Lynn?!

Still, as it says on my county croquet shirt, Norfolk do different.

Ian T

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m with you on the unpleasantness of a socially- distanced world, Edwardian. I’d count myself as borderline misanthropic, but find being near people, yet consciously separated from them by space, barrier, mask etc. really uncomfortable and strange.

My youngest really hates what little she’s experienced of it, which is a good indication of how unnatural it is, and finds the whole business of SD on public footpaths really stressful.

Wife and I are coming into conflict about this.

I want to put gloves, Yashmak and goggles on and venture out up across the green to collect my repeat prescription at the pharmacy 250 metres from our front gate ... oh and then ... perhaps drop go and drop into the local Scotswood B&Q to check on the durability of a replacement plastic toilet flush regulator (in my day a brass ball valve) ... and ... ride a motor bike dressed as Lawrence of Arabia ?

Wife says "No! I have to stay in until "they" say it is safe to out".

I maintain this effectively sentences us to spend the rest of our lives* under house arrest as second class citizens compared to the A team with their go anywhere indemnity badges and passports.

(*or until effective vaccines are universally available)l

-----------

But, in the interim, I am gradually disinterring the DCC layout that lay buried under piles of household clutter down the middle of my study (behind me as I type).

1956577729_IMG_20200419_1827422_resized_20200512_043712368.jpg.d462946337868a3884f88bb1e82c44b9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

perhaps something to lighten the mood a little

who said sound doesn't work in small scale ?

Nick B

Great work Nick. What would be the chances of fitting sound into a 2mm 0-6-0ST?

Don

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Wife and I are coming into conflict about this.

I want to put gloves, Yashmak and goggles on and venture out up across the green to collect my repeat prescription at the pharmacy 250 metres from our front gate ... oh and then ... perhaps drop go and drop into the local Scotswood B&Q to check on the durability of a replacement plastic toilet flush regulator (in my day a brass ball valve) ... and ... ride a motor bike dressed as Lawrence of Arabia ?

Wife says "No! I have to stay in until "they" say it is safe to out".

I maintain this effectively sentences us to spend the rest of our lives* under house arrest as second class citizens compared to the A team with their go anywhere indemnity badges and passports.

(*or until effective vaccines are universally available)l

-----------

But, in the interim, I am gradually disinterring the DCC layout that lay buried under piles of household clutter down the middle of my study (behind me as I type).

1956577729_IMG_20200419_1827422_resized_20200512_043712368.jpg.d462946337868a3884f88bb1e82c44b9.jpg

Do you not go out for you exercise? Tell your good lady lack of exercise may be worse for you than Covid19.   Now they have said you can drive somewhere is there not suitable open space you can get to? I would tend to avoid places like B&Q where there may be a lot of people. Is there not a suitable trade supplier nearby.  I used to like the Torbeck valves when I was doing such work. The plastic ones seem just as good. When fitting do make sure they are not touching the sides of the cistern as it can interfere with the float action. The float may look tiny compared to the old copper balls but they work OK.

Now if you had a little dog you would have to take it for a walk.

Don

ps my layout only became visible this year 4 years after we moved in.  Having been coverved in piles of stuff with a tarpaulin over it all. Admittedly  part of the room be nicked for an on suite was a big reason but that was finished quite a while ago.

Edited by Donw
adding a PS
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Donw said:

Great work Nick. What would be the chances of fitting sound into a 2mm 0-6-0ST?

Don

its been done in a and whisper it a class 04 / 08 I hasten to add not by me though, so possible worth checking the N Gauge forum as quite a few examples there

Nick B

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

of s

10 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

its been done in a and  whisper it a class 04 / 08 I hasten to add not by me though, so possible worth checking the N Gauge forum as quite a few examples there

Nick B

Thanks Nick. Another question if you don't mind what chip and speaker did you use? Since I fitted a zimo sound chip into my 7mm Railmotor  I realised it adds something missing especially the whistle.

Don 

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Donw said:

of s

Thanks Nick. Another question if you don't mind what chip and speaker did you use? Since I fitted a zimo sound chip into my 7mm Railmotor  I realised it adds something missing especially the whistle.

Don 

First apologies to our host for the diversion from topic

Chip is a Zimo MX658N18  with a  Youchoos sound project  easy to install as the C as supplied is next18 enabled with bult in speaker

Nick B

• Thanks 1