30 minutes ago, Annie said:

Shocking!  Disgusting!  Those responsible should be taken out and shot.

I was thinking "You're up early too" then remembered that you are 2 hours into the future compared to here. Its Friday its dark  and its raining.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I was thinking "You're up early too" then remembered that you are 2 hours into the future compared to here. Its Friday its dark  and its raining.

The sun's just getting out of bed here and it's fine so far.  The past couple of days have been clear and fine, but cold with the black frosts and river mists we get in this part of the Waikato.  I usually wake up about 4.00am most mornings, make a fresh pot of tea and have breakfast, then after a while I'll need to sleep again.  When I wake up after making another fresh pot of tea I'll have second breakfast.

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

27 minutes ago, Annie said:

The sun's just getting out of bed here and it's fine so far.  The past couple of days have been clear and fine, but cold with the black frosts and river mists we get in this part of the Waikato.  I usually wake up about 4.00am most mornings, make a fresh pot of tea and have breakfast, then after a while I'll need to sleep again.  When I wake up after making another fresh pot of tea I'll have second breakfast.

Wow.....   do you really still make "pots" of tea?  That has pleasant memories from many years back.  I might go back to that, in lockdown, it would save so many trips down to the kitchen and back to the office.  On the other hand - the exercise, the exercise.....      :bb:

Julian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Wow.....   do you really still make "pots" of tea?  That has pleasant memories from many years back.  I might go back to that, in lockdown, it would save so many trips down to the kitchen and back to the office.  On the other hand - the exercise, the exercise.....      :bb:

Julian

I have a lovely white ceramic teapot and I find it so much better than the modern habit of dropping a teabag in a mug.  I don't think I could go back to doing that now that I have re-discovered the delights of being a teapot owner.

MliSqzq.jpg

Edited by Annie
added picture
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Teapot?

image.png.c53b6f7b0d3e235b4046c97052a05cd8.png

Meashamware "Love at Home". There's one in the family somewhere - it was the cause of some embarrassment as they're also known as "bargeeware"; there was reluctance to admit that there might be any bargees in the family, though, I suppose, likely enough in Birmingham - more miles of canal than Venice. Tradition holds that the following an exchange took place between my Great Uncle Sid and his youngest sister, my Grandmother:

Sid: Have you still got that teapot, Doris?

Doris (hopefully): Why, would you like it?

Sid (in horror): No! But don't throw it out.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

About garages: there are a number of considerations that come into play beginning with local 

planning policies (supposedly) in force,  then building regs (that can always be complied with by a competent builder or architect) and, not least, foreseeable potentials within the local property market .

Worst of all were the collected together 'garage courts'  still to be seen in many 1970s private estates as well as ex New Town Development Corporation housing - where they were invented.

I remember being shown some astonishingly rare cars hidden away in a large Midlands bleak looking semi-abandoned car court alongside several bashed-in lethal-killer up & over metal doors occupied by druggies. 

Still very popular are three storey "town houses", from the 80s & 90s, both ex public and privately built with in-built garages and off-road hard standing before the (preferably roller shutter) door to the single garage. These can be very profitably converted to living accommodation or home-office or workshop for "white van man" (with thought given to internal alterations internally to comply with 3 storey fire regs).

Most popular of all are side single garages with off-road parking for as many cars as can be squashed onto to a permeably paved former front garden. These can be readily converted into granny flats  etc. as above, for added market value.

As for sizing, I have observed that 'exec' style private estate developers expect buyers to be in the market for at least one of the latest and largest Chelsea tractors.

It is actually very difficult to design an attractive front elevation to a detached large house with a brief for garaging two or more vehicles.

At the top end of the south-east housing market, it seems you apply to build a green oak framed 'stable and garden implement store with upstairs  fodder storage', and 'Hey presto ! ' in a few years, it can become another high value dwelling within a sought after rural Conservation area. 

In these individualistic days, GDO 'Permitted Development" rights seem to be very loosely regulated .

As always, it pays to build first then apply for retro planning and building reg approval, - if ever challenged. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Re: Opening sections.

Might I suggest a horizontal swinging section, a 'gate' or a 'counter' such as my construction ........here...… .

The geometry is a bit complex, but it's been in place for three years now.

I really need to take some more recent pictures. Track complete and running on two levels.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I was going to suggest a gate too but after seeing @drmditch has beaten me to it I am reduced to amplifying her suggestion.  There was a plan in one of the mags not too long ago of which I have scanned copy.  The carpentry's not too difficult and it can be made more stable and so easier to align than a flap.  Ducking under can be a real pain after a while.

Alan

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Donw said:

USE LIVE STEAM THEN.

I think the garage size may relate to the house size. Four bed detached  double garage, three bed detached 18x9ft min, semis and small bungalows 16x8ft. I hate the pillars in the middle of the long walls, i know it is building regs but the pillars could be on the outside. 

I do like the idea James.  A hinged flap is fine just remember what happens to your beer if left on the bar flap when it is lifted. So no sidings or anything. A bit of plain track is best. A lift out is as good as a flap it you have somewhere to put it down. Ideally the door should open enough for someone to poke their head round. If not fix a dogs sueaky toy to the end of the sectionso the door will connect with it when opened. Personally I would try to allow the door to open enough for someone to place a cup of tea on a conveniently placed shelf or piece of baseboard should I be lucky enough to be offered one. The hinged section that itself swings out of the way can be a more eleaborate affair but needs a fair bit of skill. Mike Stanley had one that swung out with ten tracks on two levels crossing it on his 0 gauge layout best to start simple through

Don

You need to make it so that people can get in if you can't get out, if that's not too morbid a thought.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, runs as required said:

Luckily for me his death was timely: he clearly had more more ambitious plans for his daughters. He drank regularly at the "Chimes of Taxal" on best mate terms with the landlord  Albert Pierrepoint.

[This post lacks  a railway reference I hear you say: He had a ' First Class Contract' on the Businessman's train, regularly Crab hauled from Buxton's North Western station down to London Road each day]

Actually has two. People hang around stations waiting for trains and Pierrepoint used to have a lot of people hanging around too.  :jester:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Teapot?

Meashamware "Love at Home". There's one in the family somewhere - it was the cause of some embarrassment as they're also known as "bargeeware"; there was reluctance to admit that there might be any bargees in the family, though, I suppose, likely enough in Birmingham - more miles of canal than Venice. Tradition holds that the following an exchange took place between my Great Uncle Sid and his youngest sister, my Grandmother:

Such a characterful teapot.  I'd be quite happy to own one like it.  Though I do understand that there may have been a time when pouring tea from such a teapot for the village worthies that you might have invited round would be tantamount to social suicide.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Teapot?

Is the little one on top for the milk?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Regularity said:

Teapots?

More than likely less messy and no period of training of a suitably wide mouthed servant required.

yW3AUAE.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You need to make it so that people can get in if you can't get out, if that's not too morbid a thought.

In all seriousness the door should be changed to opening outwards  or a sliding door  the alternative is the option of removing the door

Nick B

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Buhar said:

I was going to suggest a gate too but after seeing @drmditch has beaten me to it I am reduced to amplifying her suggestion.  There was a plan in one of the mags not too long ago of which I have scanned copy.  The carpentry's not too difficult and it can be made more stable and so easier to align than a flap.  Ducking under can be a real pain after a while.

Alan

That could have been David Nicholson's on his scale 7 layout which was the subject of a Railway Modeller article. The one I mentioned that MIke Stanley built years before was very similar.

Don 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

If you can poke your head round the door you can get an arm round to lift a flap/lifting section or release a swing section. It is one reason I dont like hidden catches or an electrically operated locking bolt.

Don

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Annie said:

More than likely less messy and no period of training of a suitably wide mouthed servant required.

True, but less fun!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, runs as required said:

About garages: there are a number of considerations that come into play beginning with local 

planning policies (supposedly) in force,  

As always, it pays to build first then apply for retro planning and building reg approval, - if ever challenged. 

I'm told the dodge is to build something you're allowed to build (i.e. non-residential) and then go for change of use later.

10 hours ago, drmditch said:

Re: Opening sections.

Might I suggest a horizontal swinging section, a 'gate' or a 'counter' such as my construction ........here...… .

The geometry is a bit complex, but it's been in place for three years now.

I really need to take some more recent pictures. Track complete and running on two levels.

10 hours ago, Buhar said:

Alan

Probably way beyond my limited capabilities, however, there is nowhere for it to swing to. The only way is up, I'm afraid.  I think with the space restrictions a lift up section is better than a flap, but I would need somewhere to rest the lift up section. 

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

All thoughts are by this stage of my decline!

5 hours ago, Annie said:

Such a characterful teapot.  I'd be quite happy to own one like it.  

Too much character for everyday, surely.

3 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

In all seriousness the door should be changed to opening outwards  or a sliding door  the alternative is the option of removing the door

Nick B

OK, again, the layout does not conflict with the door.  Forget there is a door. The issue is merely a convenient way to pass within the circuit.  The gap is narrow, narrower than the doorway, because it is the gap left between the Absurd Display Cabinet and the wall, installed as part of my efforts to wall myself in, safe from the howling madness of the world and the reality of my own failure to live a good and worthwhile life. 

So, no, the issue is not the door.  

• Friendly/supportive 8

2 hours ago, Donw said:

That could have been David Nicholson's on his scale 7 layout which was the subject of a Railway Modeller article. The one I mentioned that MIke Stanley built years before was very similar.

Don 

Also written up in the S7 Newsletter but I can't remember which issue.

Measured it.

Here's the deal. The doorway is 28 1/2".  With the door open, the width of the door itself cuts that down to more like 27 1/2".

I was wrong.  Although the passage between the Absurd Display Cabinet (ADC) and the wall looked narrower than the doorway, it is, in fact, also 28 1/2".

The difficulty is that a lifting flap mounted on the wall across from the ADC will inevitably take up some of that width.  A lift out section may take no more or slightly less.

There would need to be a lip added to the ADC board, and an opposing baton on the wall.  The movable section must either rest on these two features as a lift-off section, or, rest one end upon a lip on the ADC board and be hinged on the baton on the wall.

Now, why, you ask, has he posted a picture of an Indian cotton print throw.  Well, I like elephants. Look closely and you will see this is the opposing viewpoint from yesterday.  It shows the Gulf to be Spanned, and the whole of the area available to complete the circuit.

Extreme left we see the edge of the door, opened. Left foreground we have the end of the ADC.  Left rear we have the other end of the test track, that I see happens to be marked by a rather nice D299, courtesy of the very generous Compound of this parish (every test track should have at least one  MR D299 (thems the rules).

I will need to install a pull-down blind for the window, which I plan to mount against the sash frame, thus freeing up the depth of the widow for continuing the circuit.  The blind will pull down behind the baseboard.  To the right, the circuit can run, to a depth of about 12" at its mid-point between the curves along the bare wall.

279416374_IMG_9346-Copy.JPG.f89aac0d1ab35addc26f89811fa01151.JPG

• Like 4