• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, runs as required said:

I think I recall the inspiration came from US architect Peter Eiseman's house commissioned by a Billionaire that was to be purposely designed as impossible to live in.

Quite a few speculative builders have managed that over the years.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Not sure what key that was in - or I'd lost the one it came with.

Its certainly no "Walking In On Someone Doing A Poo" by Aunty Donna.

Not being nocturnal like a bat,  time zones mean that all the Greek  and  Turkey stuff being posted happenned while I was asleep. Hopefully I'm not too  late to put this up from a comedy show here a few years ago..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Funny 7

Most furniture shops name their ranges. I'd say it was daft, but I have built several bagnalls which the manufacturer would recognise as Mercedes class, and there's a part finished hunslet waril class on my shelf...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Going back a bit, I was revisiting Edwardian’s study photos, and something caught me eye.

Can anyone else see a senior government advisor testing his eyesight just beyond the tree that I’ve ringed?

4F747035-35AC-4164-8207-63441560A50A.jpeg

Government Service Broadcast No.42

Mr D Cummings of Stillroamin, Elite Street, London, NW  demonstrates the first rule of How Not To Be Seen:

Do not visit County Durham

1626737939_HowNottobeSeen1.jpg.761f164bcffa931acb8b04a53d16936a.jpg

260940369_AlertState01-Copy(7).jpg.938dc77066f338d17d6a5bf3d3860ba5.jpg

EDIT: Gove on the radio justifying Dominic Cummings travels: the aural equivalent of stepping in something nasty. It's slimy and it stinks!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

There was a ‘rank and file’ MP on the World Tonight last night, attempting to mount a defence based on the idea that DC is a “critical worker”, and using a convoluted and contrived comparison with a hypothetical hospital doctor ........ it’s actually worth listening to as a first class example of someone trying to convince themselves and sounding utterly unconvincing.

I was also thinking about the fact that DC was given the facility of No.10 garden from which to make his broadcast to the nation, and that the government briefing seems to have been moved to give him air-time. Disgraceful indulgences whether he did wrong or not ........ The PM is allowing himself to be made an ass.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold

This morning's Minister asked to defend the indefensible is Mr Gove who assures us that Mr Cummings is a man of honour and integrity. Well, you should know Mr Gove. You have chosen to serve in the Government of a man that you said is unfit to be Prime Minister.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

Mr Mayor is the proposed diverting diversion line going to impact on progress of the railway to Castle Aching ?

Nick B

Yes and no

While it has and will take time from the current '5 trains' CA project, on the other hand: 

- Re-arranging the study means all railway stuff is now orderly and accessible. That should aid modelling in those odd moments of opportunity. Should have done it a year ago.

- A working test track will be a boon; I will leave the 'mineral' line over until later, as that really is just another layout project. 

- It will give me much needed practice on laying, wiring and painting track, ballasting and some basic scenic work.

- It will please me and motivate me.  That will help sustain the CA effort.

1562910629_AlertState01-Copy(7)-Copy.jpg.92b2a3e2cf5e45dbc645ed601a1d7b5d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I was also thinking about the fact that DC was given the facility of No.10 garden from which to make his broadcast to the nation, and that the government briefing seems to have been moved to give him air-time. Disgraceful indulgences whether he did wrong or not 

I understand that the Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition, the Rt. Hon. Sir Keir Starmer, shares your concerns and has written to the Cabinet Secretary, the Rt. Hon. Sir Mark Sedwill, to express those concerns, including the possible misuse of public monies.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago, when but a teenager, a friend had a “round the walls” layout in his bedroom, with a removable section over the doorway. This simply dropped onto ledges and was held in place with simple plates either side of the drop section. But it meant the door had to be shut to use the layout.

So he changed the layout yo have a return loop cutting across the room. This was removable and was simply a thick plank cut to a suitable width for a single track. He cut some basic girder shapes out of card, added basic detail such as strengthening ribs and a wrapper around the edges, and painted them a dark grey, then stuck them onto the sides of the planks. 
Although lacking in fine detail and having no supports, this was a very effective solution.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Finding it increasingly difficult to utter a coherent sentence, let alone formulate a coherent thought?

There was a most well-spoken, articulate, and intelligent pupil from Mr Johnson's old school on BBC Young Musician last Sunday evening, so I don't think one can blame his education.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Many years ago, when but a teenager, a friend had a “round the walls” layout in his bedroom, with a removable section over the doorway. This simply dropped onto ledges and was held in place with simple plates either side of the drop section. But it meant the door had to be shut to use the layout.

I favour such a solution 

I think I have found a surface upon which I can rest the removable section, though, actually, I think the best idea is to hang it from the stout hooks on the back of the door!

It will be a trapezoid board: One edge 22", the other 33".  The width will be determined by the track of the circuits, but I anticipate no more than 14".   

758921835_AlertState01-Copy(7)-Copy.jpg.d1c8b10f7159f73b3a3cf060dd1ed403.jpg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There was a most well-spoken, articulate, and intelligent pupil from Mr Johnson's old school on BBC Young Musician last Sunday evening, so I don't think one can blame his education.

I blame the Bullingdon Club.  

Oh!  And didn’t BJ and D  both read Greats at Oxford ?

Is Castle Barnard in England or Ireland?

Edited by runs as required
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, runs as required said:

I blame the Bullingdon Club.

I think the Bullingdon Club's reputation was due to its members, rather than vice-versa.

7 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Oh!  And didn’t BJ and D  both read Greats at Oxford ?

I knew civilised and generally sober classicists, so again: no correlation.

8 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Is Castle Barnard in England or Ireland?

Now there's the germ of a layout idea. Don't let him run away with it...

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Now there's the germ of a layout idea. Don't let him run away with it...

Not hand-building 21mm gauge track, so, no.

Rachmaninoff is R3's Composer of the Weeks and guess what's playing?

I'm certainly having 'a moment'

2044352205_BriefEncounter01.jpg.21681b7ee210d8b7b243a8d938f5fc16.jpg

brief-encounter-watching-recommendation--videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600-v7.jpg.65835714a4a772e4ee0c43b83a9f2091.jpg

One of my all time favourite films. 

Then again, I cannot resist the Victoria Wood parody.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

38 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I favour such a solution 

I think I have found a surface upon which I can rest the removable section, though, actually, I think the best idea is to hang it from the stout hooks on the back of the door!

It will be a trapezoid board: One edge 22", the other 33".  The width will be determined by the track of the circuits, but I anticipate no more than 14".   

758921835_AlertState01-Copy(7)-Copy.jpg.d1c8b10f7159f73b3a3cf060dd1ed403.jpg

You can surely devise a precise way in which all the boards can be removable - a boon when you get older for adjusting wiring on the underside.

And, who knows, it may even aid it being a Major Exhibition attraction clamoured for by your rising fan club of parishioners!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Not hand-building 21mm gauge track, so, no.

Rachmaninoff is R3's Composer of the Weeks and guess what's playing?

I'm certainly having 'a moment'

2044352205_BriefEncounter01.jpg.21681b7ee210d8b7b243a8d938f5fc16.jpg

brief-encounter-watching-recommendation--videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600-v7.jpg.65835714a4a772e4ee0c43b83a9f2091.jpg

OK folks - the 64 million dollar question: full or simplified lining?

(Supplementary information: the lavatory brake third in the first still is to D1685, built 1926-9; simplified lining introduced early 1934; filming early 1945.)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Then again, I cannot resist the Victoria Wood parody.

Much prefer Diana Rigg (who wouldn’t!) in “Briefer Encounter”, as part of an episode of “Three Piece Suite”, made when the BBC produced high quality programmes rather than filling the airwaves with dire coverage of non-news. (Covid19 is news, but doesn’t need an extra 90 minutes a day to inform us that no one really knows. Standard news slot could do that.)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1