24 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

...interesting news...

...not to the makers of copper cooking utensils, or indeed shipwrights, in centuries past...

:)

Edited by Schooner
Likewise silver...not on boat bottoms that is, utensils!
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

At first glance I thought it was a training school for miniature K-9 Covid-19 sniffers....

That explains the delay.  You cannot build a fleet of these overnight (at least not via HMG's procurement process): 

k9-replica-raggedyfan_f_improf_600x383.jpg.33b52d014cb522460b929b8ad57a9f6c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

21 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Actually, a defining characteristic of that is that it looks as if you could build a fleet overnight, by setting it as a homework project for a class of eight year olds. In the best tradition of proper props.

Indeed, if you go to www.honestlythereisaplan/K9contacttracer.gov.uk,  you can download a PHE-Approved K9 Contract Tracer to build.   

Do your bit!

1812252051_K9Model.png.9c0de998472b502d087de92a8823ec05.png

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

you can download a PHE-Approved K9 Contract Tracer to build.   

A contract tracer - does that mean that once traced, you're terminated?

Nasty!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

HMG's procurement process

Is that the process where instead of using an off-the-shelf proven system successfully deployed in other countries, we allegedly spend several million quid on something produced by the brother-in-law of the Government’s most senior advisor?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

11 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Is that the process where instead of using an off-the-shelf proven system successfully deployed in other countries, we allegedly spend several million quid on something produced by the brother-in-law of the Government’s most senior advisor?

So par for the course?

Good old "ain't invented here" approach.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A contract tracer - does that mean that once traced, you're terminated?

Nasty!

19 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Isn’t that how epidemics in farm livestock are dealt with to prevent them dragging on endlessly?

So, presumably its effective.

Govt trials are poised to start, called "need for education", on similar principles, in schools in England.  The principle is based on keeping the pupils in small groups back at school, separated into smaller groups called bubbles, in the hope that they will spread the virus in a less rapid way than letting them run about freely.  This will spread the virus from the pupils of infected families to other families and teachers, more slowly.  The principle is based on the lower rate of youngster's deaths, whilst ensuring the transfer of the virus from one infected family to several other families.  Eventually it is hoped that this will achieve the Herd Immunity which might let the govt off the UK death figures.

To make this easier, the returning classes are recommended to be divided into two half size groups [with bubbles, within] and separated into different rooms.  Existing staffing are to be appropriately deployed to care for the increased number of groups, well of course they will.  The same staff, whilst taking part in the virus spread, are also going to be required to provide both education materiel and feedback for the online education of those pupils still at home.

The recent events involving political advisors might make some people somewhat doubtful of how realistic the plan might be and the possible outcomes.

It also raises the question, of when do the remainder of the classes return, given that will mean full size classes back in their original classrooms?

I am reminded of the old saying "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."

Julian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

What caught my eye in that pic was North Weald just down the line from our 1937 semi at Theydon Bois.

My uncle Pete often flew his fighter low over our house from NW, having earlier done silly things in a Tiger Moth trainer from RAF Hornchurch. I loved the scary spins best: silently twirling right down over the garden - before restarting the engine, kicking into the spin and climbing away.

He didn't last much longer - he obviously lost it in a cloud in a Thunderbolt over Burma three weeks before VJ day and was posted missing,

He'd have probably killed himself anyway on his Matchless, if he hadn't got his wings; just 12 years older than me!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

While suffering from a nasty infection in one of my teeth and lower jaw just recently, - and as a result feeling more sleepy and useless than usual, - I watched a fascinating and very well done documentary on the Black Death in London.  I was immediately much struck by how little has changed with our present situation with the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Those who consider themselves the better sort do as they please insulating themselves from the lower orders who are left to die in the streets.  Many crackpot theories proposed by the 'better sort' are tried out on the 'lower orders' from a safe distance and eventually the plague burns itself out not really helped at all by the efforts of the 'better sort' but more by the hard work and very risky efforts of the 'lower orders' who are in amongst it all.

We have an election coming up soon and upon our bunch of dimwit Tories in opposition discovering via a poll that their current leader was seriously disliked by a large proportion of the NZ population promptly elected another one who was pretty much a complete unknown.  I suppose they thought if nobody knows who he is nobody could dislike him.  But then in an television interview at home he proudly shows off his trophy shelf and among his trophies is a red Trump campaign baseball cap.  Way to go Tories, - shooting yourself in the foot just like you always do.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

24 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

Ours were named Bannister and Twiss and they both knew how to apply Zeno's paradox to stay ahead.

And carrying more body protection than a cat, might they have fared better getting shut away by Schrodinger?

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Northroader said:

Ahhh... Susannah York......

She was a bit less wooden last time I watched The Battle of Britain...

12 hours ago, rocor said:

Ahhh... Tangmere......

She was a bit less wooden last time I watched a 'Battle of Britain'...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3