3 hours ago, Annie said:

So I can pull all the pins out of this little dolly I made then?

Leave them all in, even if its just a foamboard attachment to the side, its aimed at the idiots with more money than sense who want to upstage their mates with a big fat wedding.  Anyhow it was four years ago, they won't have done that sort of thing this year!

Annnnnd Time for Breakfast!!!

About the coach itself, I think its an interesting prototype for an inspection coach, the brakesmans post over the buffer (shades of Gilbert and Sullivan?)  is a nice touch, keeps him away from his betters and concentrating on his job as they sample the brewery output!

Edited by Hroth
an added Thort!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

its aimed at the idiots with more money than sense who want to upstage their mates with a big fat wedding. 

Let them eat registry office.

• Funny 3

30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Add More Pins!!!

Sorry I've just been looking at Mr Eds musings on the New Ahnk terminus....

Unfortunately it's events like these that bring in the money to keep the Museum of Brewing in Burton - upon - Trent going. Incidentally the coach is the same one in both pictures, it is the bass directors saloon, the first is how Bass stored it, they dragged it out and polished/painted it for the (fewer and fewer) special occasions they used it on. Just wasted? half an hour looking on that Flickr site looking at the other brewery loco's from Bass, was particularly drawn to a very odd looking Bagnall i/c loco they had that looks like a not too good freelance model with body and wheel proportions all out of kilter. Took me back a few years, I was at school in Burton on the dates those photo's on Flickr were taken. Memories.

Phil T.

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

Unfortunately it's events like these that bring in the money to keep the Museum of Brewing in Burton - upon - Trent going.

You don't think the fare paying public comes to see trains, do you?!  They come, at least in the good times, to have a ride and keep the kids quiet while Father expounds his  meagre  knowledge on railways in general.  Poor Mum gets on with her knitting and as long as the 'facilities' are clean, she is happy.  They go for their train ride and by the time they arrive, No.1 kid is engrossed with his phone game and his sister, with her mobile, is dryly informing her friends what a dull day this is.  Soon be over, she says as they return to the very spot they left an hour or so ago!:yes:

Brian.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, brianusa said:

Poor Mum gets on with her knitting

Deeply unlikely in this day and age. No mother has time for knitting - if she's not dealing with the immediate demands of the children she's worrying about the week ahead at work and the childcare arrangements. If he's got any conscience, so is Dad. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

If he's got any conscience, so is Dad. 

This is probably Dads one opportunity in the week (month? year?) not to have to worry. Are we saying that the poor bloke should subordinate his wishes to the rest of the family the whole year round?  And if the kids don't take at least a polite interest, then its probably their loss.

I will not rant, I will NOT rant.......

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

21 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Are we saying that the poor bloke should subordinate his wishes to the rest of the family the whole year round?  

I will not rant, I will NOT rant.......

That's as good a working definition of "husband" and "father" as I've come across.

Oh, but don't forget, all the while being told by Radio 4 that he's part of the privileged Patriarchy and that everything, literally everything, in the world is his fault. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Oh, but don't forget, all the while being told by Radio 4 that he's part of the privileged Patriarchy and that everything, literally everything, in the world is his fault. 

Only if he is well-educated, white and middle-class, mind. Wouldn't do to brand every male in this way.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Only if he is well-educated, white and middle-class, mind. Wouldn't do to brand every male in this way.

So, in other words, in most cases, only if he is a male who typically listens to Radio 4. 

You have to feel sorry for all those other poor white/white van men, with no-one to explain to them, repeatedly, what misogynist dinosaurs they are. 

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

So, in other words, in most cases, only if he is a male who typically listens to Radio 4. 

You have to feel sorry for all those other poor white/white van men, with no-one to explain to them, repeatedly, what misogynist dinosaurs they are. 

Whilst they may indeed be misogynist dinosaurs, with no one to explain this to them, they may be happy.

Also, they are not the ones being blamed for the state of the world: that is the fault of the well-educated white middle class male, who yes does listen to Radio 4: his natural home, despite it biting the hand that feeds it!

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Regularity said:

Whilst they may indeed be misogynist dinosaurs, with no one to explain this to them, they may be happy.

Who'd have thought

1 minute ago, Regularity said:

Also, they are not the ones being blamed for the state of the world: that is the fault of the well-educated white middle class male, 

That, of course, is complete tosh.

I'll tell you who the typical white middle class male is.  He is a latter day Pooter.  The joke (on him) is that he has no control of anything at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Every weekday between 10 and 11am and Saturdays at 4pm, plus much of the drama which has a feminist slant.

I wonder what would happen if men requested a "Mens Hour"?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Who'd have thought

That, of course, is complete tosh.

I'll tell you who the typical white middle class male is.  He is a latter day Pooter.  The joke (on him) is that he has no control of anything at all.

I should add that I don’t subscribe to the viewpoint you outlined earlier. I agree that R4 does seem to promote this at times, but I suspect any “control” is exercised by a far smaller group of people, if there is any control at all. I am more inclined to think that it’s more a case of people acquiring absurd wealth without having a great deal of moral sense. (Partly because if they had the latter, the former would not be possible).

32 minutes ago, Ian Simpson said:

Well, my own definition of Privilege would be anyone who can afford to buy RTR these days. 

In terms of (a) the level of detail and (b) the price compared to earnings, I doubt it has ever been cheaper.

• Like 1

And as an aside, I believe that Womans Hour commissioned dramatisations of some of Terry Pratchetts early works to fit into the Womans Hour drama slot (I think Equal Rites was one of them) because some lummock of a producer thought "Terry Pratchett" was a woman...  :crazy:

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ian Simpson said:

Well, my own definition of Privilege would be anyone who can afford to buy RTR these days. 

Everyone could afford to buy RTR it is a case of how much you expect to buy, what items and what other things you choose to spend your money on.

Giving up smoking, drinking less both alcohol and expensive coffees can all help release money for a hobby. True it may restrict the model you can afford. 

Real priviledge is being handed money, land, plum jobs because of who you are. You might well need such priviledge to be able to house, build and stock a large 0 gauge layout. However I built my first 0 gauge layout very much on a shoestring.

Don  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

For Christmas in 1972, I had the then new Hornby Pannier. It cost £3.

Inflation since then (965.2%) would make that £318 today. That's for a single piece plastic moulding with poor dimensional fidelity to the prototype, with a copper chimney top, "brass" safety valve trumpet, and buffer rams the only additions, running on a generic 0-6-0 chassis.

It had a smoke unit, though.

And one of the best motors the hobby produced for a long while!

For less than that (£256), I can buy a DCC sound fitted model, for example from Olivia's trains. Not only does this look more like the real thing and is resplendent with hand-fitted details, but it sounds like the prototype, too. And a simple Bachmann E-Z controller is (proportionally) lower in price than the DC controllers of 1973, too.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I put that through the Bank of England inflation calculator, which gives a figure an order of magnitude less - £3 in 1972 => £39.88 in 2019. Looking at the pricing of the Hornby Railroad range, I'd say that £40 for a model of the quality of the 1970s Hornby pannier would be exceptionally good value.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1