• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I put that through the Bank of England inflation calculator, which gives a figure an order of magnitude less - £3 in 1972 => £39.88 in 2019. Looking at the pricing of the Hornby Railroad range, I'd say that £40 for a model of the quality of the 1970s Hornby pannier would be exceptionally good value.

That's not what that calculator is telling you. That's purchasing power parity, saying that £3 of wages then buys you the same as £39.88 now: that is the equivalent value of £3 then.

The labour value (what you would have to earn to but the equivalent of £3) is £60.04. That's a reflection of wages falling behind inflation.

But the economic value of the item (related to GDP), is £89.91, that reflects growth in GDP. This is closest to what you will get if you compare the growth in prices to the growth in disposable income (after tax, NI, pension contributions, etc.)

And I just realised I mistyped a key when calculating the inflated price, so apologies! :blush:

Still, the Bachmann 8750 class pannier at £115 for RTR DC, relative to the Hornby one at £89.91, is still good value for money, given that one looks like a toy pannier tank, and the other looks like a model of a specific variant of pannier tank.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

Every weekday between 10 and 11am and Saturdays at 4pm, plus much of the drama which has a feminist slant.

I wonder what would happen if men requested a "Mens Hour"?

Men already have the other 23 hours a day – or so the feminists would claim (with some justification).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

And as an aside, I believe that Womans Hour commissioned dramatisations of some of Terry Pratchetts early works to fit into the Womans Hour drama slot (I think Equal Rites was one of them) because some lummock of a producer thought "Terry Pratchett" was a woman...  :crazy:

That has more than a whiff of urban myth about it.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, wagonman said:

Men already have the other 23 hours a day – or so the feminists would claim (with some justification).

Not so, every hour on R4 feels like Woman's Hour. They can't seem to help themselves.  The constant need to blame or emasculate men is simply nagging writ large. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Of possible relevance to quips in my own thread, my mother was a nanny before I came along.

Old-fashioned names have become more fashionable lately, so we called our daughter "Nan".

She'll grow into it...

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Neatly combining talk of mothers and strange names, my mother had to me a unique name, I’ve never come across another one. “Eudora” ( the cruelties of some Victorian parents.)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Neatly combining talk of mothers and strange names, my mother had to me a unique name, I’ve never come across another one. “Eudora” ( the cruelties of some Victorian parents.)

That comes from a mis-hearing: 'you Dora? i.e. Are you Dora?

EDIT: I read that Eudora was one of the three thousand daughters of Oceanus and Tethys, so there's plenty more where that came from.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

And, I read that her mum was called Doris. Is that true?

In some versions, yes - the fifty daughters of Nereus and Doris. Lest you scoff at these mythically large families, my grandmother Doris, born 1899, was the youngest of thirteen. I thinbk I've already mentioned her in relation to teapots.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Northroader said:

That's nothing, Elon Musk and his missus have just tried to call their daughter "X Æ A-12". 

I suppose the explanation is that he's rich and lives in California. I feel sorry for the kid though.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

43 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

That's nothing, Elon Musk and his missus have just tried to call their daughter "X Æ A-12". 

I suppose the explanation is that he's rich and lives in California. I feel sorry for the kid though.  

What a prat.

I'm afraid Mr Musk, in my view, revealed his lack of character and egregiousness in his treatment of that British diver. You have to work quite hard to get onto my sh1t list, but once you're on it  ...  So, he'll regret what he's done just as soon as I assume supreme leadership of the universe (Mwahahahahahaha!!!). 

In the meantime, I'm pretty sure he's due a visit from the karma police.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, wagonman said:

That has more than a whiff of urban myth about it.

But the factor of confusion between Terry/Terri is too good to ignore.

However

• The Colour of Magic and Equal Rites broadcast during Womens Hour on Radio 4, in 1983

http://www.lspace.org/fandom/events/radio/

so there may be a kernel of truth in the story, although the publication dates don't tie in with the proposed broadcasting date.  TCOM was 1985 and ER was 1987...  The broadcast date might have been a slip of the keyboard and meant to be 1988 or 1993.  As far as I know, lspace.org is largely moribund now so editorial correction or updating is highly unlikely!

Also, the fact that "Equal Rites" was allegedly one of the stories chosen is interesting as that has a distinct feminist slant.

Nevermind.

• RMweb Premium

I'm saying nothing about names, as my first name is a WW2 battle in Africa, My middle name is normally a Surname.. Confusion abounds when I fill in something offical needs filling in with my full name. They are forever trying to double barrel me..

Go back to the early 1800s and one pair of my ancesters managed to produce 26 surviving children. Not a bad survival rate for a poor mining family..

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Go back to the early 1800s and one pair of my ancesters managed to produce 26 surviving children. Not a bad survival rate for a poor mining family..

Especially as I imagine life was tough mining the Norfolk treacle seams. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I'm saying nothing about names, as my first name is a WW2 battle in Africa, My middle name is normally a Surname.. Confusion abounds when I fill in something offical needs filling in with my full name. They are forever trying to double barrel me..

Well I won't tell you my surname but the original intention was to give me two middle names after two uncles on each side of the family. So they started with Malcolm and then went for Alan David, until my father suddenly realised he would henceforth be known as MAD xxxxxxx's father. This was solved by David becoming the first and Alan becoming the second which was a vast relief to him and saved me from perpetual embarrassment.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Well I won't tell you my surname but the original intention was to give me two middle names after two uncles on each side of the family. So they started with Malcolm and then went for Alan David, until my father suddenly realised he would henceforth be known as MAD xxxxxxx's father. This was solved by David becoming the first and Alan becoming the second which was a vast relief to him and saved me from perpetual embarrassment.

It's that Dam XXXX again..

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Especially as I imagine life was tough mining the Norfolk treacle seams. 

Amateur sport in Edwardian Norfolk, No. 163: The Treacle Miners' Cricket Club, founded 1878. 

As a working men's side, this doubled up with the association football club, providing Saturday afternoon recreation for the mining community throughout the year. The football club never achieved any significant success - the closest it came to a moment of triumph was a 4-2 defeat to the Achingham Railway Works team in the semi-final of the 1889 West Norfolk Cup. The ground was adjacent to the mine's spoil heap, a notorious source of soil pollution to this day, with traces of unrefined viscous material leaching far and wide. Visiting teams came in fear of the notorious sticky wicket.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

3 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

until my father suddenly realised he would henceforth be known as MAD xxxxxxx's father

My youngest ended-up being IRE by a similar process, and she does quite often display ire, especially when asked to go to bed at a sensible time, which she regards as a serious affront.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 hours ago, Northroader said:

There was a well known American author called Eudora Welty though whether she had anything to do with the email program Eudora I know not.

• Like 1