46 minutes ago, brianusa said:

These might be good new car names.  

Oldsmobile Aurora

Hundai Azura (There was a Hundai Azera; nearly bought one!)

Buick Electra

There was a GW 'Stella' loco class.  Close?

Brian.

Here at least, in the '70's there was a Toyota Corona.

Arriving at our work car park a few weeks ago in the middle of the lockdown with all non-essentials off or WFH, a colleague who arrived at the same time as me looked at the sparesly parked cars and said "Look - they are all social distancing!"

"Yes" I instantly  quipped -" they don't want to catch the Toyota Corona Virus!"

Unfortunately, being a New Zealander it seemed to be lost on him .

I guess  they didn't get the  Toyota Corona there. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

In England these days, Stella is best known for her deliciously refreshing, but dangerously strong pilsner beer.

Likewise Corona is now a Mexican (or is it cod-Mexican?) beer in England, whereas when I were a lad it was a type of fizzy pop which could be delivered to your doorstep by the milkman in the area where my grandparents lived (in our locality the milkman only delivered milk and milk-derivative products, so I thought that getting pop delivered was really exotic).

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

When we were on holiday at Dawlish, which was, after a quick check in Dad's railway photo albums, in 1962, we stayed in a small guest house. Halfway through our stay another family booked out, leaving the customary comments in the guest book. My parents were quite relieved that the family's surname had not been known earlier. We knew that Dad was Russell. We didn't know the family name was Prout. Who would do that to their child?

• Like 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A friend of mine has acquired a new grandson whom the parents have called Forrest.

I quipped that they might lose him when he goes to kindergarten because they "won't be able to see the Forrest for the threes".  ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Ah yes, wasn't that the one* that looked vaguely similar to the then current model of Ford Cortina?  I do remember constantly winding up a bloke who owned a Toyota about his "imitation Ford"...

8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Stella is best known for her deliciously refreshing, but dangerously strong pilsner beer

I was once friends with a girl called Stella....  :rolleyes:

Yep Corona was once fizzy pop, and another thing, Mazda was a brand of lightbulb.

* Looking at Annies post, it might have been a Corolla - stupid, stupid names!!!

Edited by Hroth
Morris Minor update....
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Arriving at our work car park a few weeks ago in the middle of the lockdown with all non-essentials off or WFH, a colleague who arrived at the same time as me looked at the sparesly parked cars and said "Look - they are all social distancing!"

"Yes" I instantly  quipped -" they don't want to catch the Toyota Corona Virus!"

Unfortunately, being a New Zealander it seemed to be lost on him .

I guess  they didn't get the  Toyota Corona there. 

We had the Toyota Corona here, but they weren't anything like so common as the Toyota Corolla which was sold in large numbers in NZ.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

When we were on holiday at Dawlish, which was, after a quick check in Dad's railway photo albums, in 1962, we stayed in a small guest house. Halfway through our stay another family booked out, leaving the customary comments in the guest book. My parents were quite relieved that the family's surname had not been known earlier. We knew that Dad was Russell. We didn't know the family name was Prout. Who would do that to their child?

Apparently there is a teen heart throb called Cold Sprouts, if I heard aright.

Here today it is wet, windy and, above all, dark. I do feel mildly guilty for enjoying such weather in summer (am I alone in my liking for such unseasonal weather?), but, then, the country needs some rain.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Here today it is wet, windy and, above all, dark. I do feel mildly guilty for enjoying such weather in summer (am I alone in my liking for such unseasonal weather?), but, then, the country needs some rain.

Dunno about "Cold Sprouts", but if you google it, there are lots of intesting things to do with them.  I think the bin is the best place!

Provided I'm not actually on holiday*, I agree with you about the pleasure of a damp drear day /week in summer.  I'm not one for the baking beach....

* Although a damp day at a steam railway ticks a lot of boxes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, ianathompson said:

My parents always said that they wanted to include my mother's maiden name into my Christian names.

As it started with R and they also chose I and A for the other names it gives some intesting combinations.

RIAT, IART OR IRAT. I suppose that they could have gone for ARIT or AIRT but they had given up by then.

Ian T

My Singaporean partner's family name, romanised in Hanyu Pinyin, is Nai. Her two brothers have given all five children between them a Western first name beginning with I and a second beginning with A, so that they are all I. A. Nai (and yes, one of them is Ian!).

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

In England these days, Stella is best known for her deliciously refreshing, but dangerously strong pilsner beer.

Likewise Corona is now a Mexican (or is it cod-Mexican?) beer in England, whereas when I were a lad it was a type of fizzy pop which could be delivered to your doorstep by the milkman in the area where my grandparents lived (in our locality the milkman only delivered milk and milk-derivative products, so I thought that getting pop delivered was really exotic).

Kevin

Ah yes, Cream Soda mixed with milk!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I never heard that Duke Ellington or Count Basie suffered any such embarrassment. I've not come across a jazzman called Viscount or The Honorable, though.

You can add to the list King Oliver and Earl Hines (perched on his Manhattan telephone directory). I don't suppose Prince counts though...

• Like 4

Continuation of family names is evident in any church yard but sometimes unwittingly. 

My daughter is Sarah, she has a second-cousin also Sarah who, although they did not meet, was at Sheffield University at the same time. Since they had the same (fairly uncommon) Surname, there was much confusion on Uni registration, also with Doctor and Dentist.

My daughter called her offspring Eleanor.

I had an Aunt Nellie, my Father's youngest sister who, I discovered at her funeral, had the names Eleanor Sarah...

Unfortunate initials...At school in my year were twins, one a good athlete, and was always cheered on by his class mates "good old R.C."

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another that comes to mind is in Culbone church in Exmoor some of the graves are of members of he Red familiy including one named Ethel.

Don

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Donw said:

Another that comes to mind is in Culbone church in Exmoor some of the graves are of members of he Red familiy including one named Ethel.

Don

And Eric?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I’ve mentioned this before, but my father’s family named their firstborn sons Roger, going back at least as far as the 1530s (earliest surviving parish records) and possibly from when the the first one stumbled ashore at Norman’s Bay,  leading to multiple Rogers being around at any given time. It all descended into chaos when my father was given Roger as his second name and he in turn decided not to bestow it on any of us.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

36 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve mentioned this before, but my father’s family named their firstborn sons Roger, going back at least as far as the 1530s (earliest surviving parish records) and possibly from when the the first one stumbled ashore at Norman’s Bay,  leading to multiple Rogers being around at any given time. It all descended into chaos when my father was given Roger as his second name and he in turn decided not to bestow it on any of us.

Could have been worse, could have been Robert.

Anyone remember that Fiat ad for the car "built by robots"?  Not the Nine O'Clock News had a lot of fun with that one. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Two rumbles of distant thunder in the last couple of hours is all we have had since April, down here between Brighton & Eastbourne.

• Like 2

My Dad had to register a new class of first year secondary school pupils.  As he went through the class, one new pupil said his name - Norman Barren Plum.  Dad duly entered the name and asked the boy next to him, what he was called.  The boy said that he was the twin brother of the previous boy and gave his name as Barren Norman Plum.

We did wonder quite how the family name might be furthered.....

Julian

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

My Dad had to register a new class of first year secondary school pupils.  As he went through the class, one new pupil said his name - Norman Barren Plum.  Dad duly entered the name and asked the boy next to him, what he was called.  The boy said that he was the twin brother of the previous boy and gave his name as Barren Norman Plum.

We did wonder quite how the family name might be furthered.....

Julian

Thank goodness for SIMS.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Thank goodness for SIMS.

Pen & Ink back then in the 60s and SIMS certainly does improve some admin, which is a gratefully used facility.  I'm not sure how it might impact on the fertility prospects for the young fellows.

Julian

20 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Could have been worse, could have been Robert.

Anyone remember that Fiat ad for the car "built by robots"?  Not the Nine O'Clock News had a lot of fun with that one. 

Indeed, and I remember several of the posters had the added line "and driven by morons"

• Like 3
  • Agree 1