I came across this unfortunate accident in the Highland Journal and thought it might find an audience within the parish.  No one was killed.  In 1951 a local train was stopped at Dalguise, on the Highland Main Line between Perth and Pitlochry.  The line is single from Stanley Junction with passing loops at stations. The driver says he was distracted by the activities of a group of Scouts on his train who had earlier tried to get into a compartment next to a group of Guides.

Presumably on getting the right away he set off, still looking backwards and so without seeing the signal had not been pulled off.  He was also without the token for the single line.  Another train was approaching and, despite attempts to stop by both drivers, there was fairly firm collision.  Unfortunately for the driver who had made these mistakes, the other train was a special and passengers included The Perth Motive Power Superintendent, The Glasgow Assistant Motive Power Superintendent, The Chief of Railway Police in Glasgow, and an Inspector.  I expect the disciplinary meeting was quite brief.....  "are there any expert witnesses?"

Alan

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Buhar said:

The driver says he was distracted by the activities of a group of Scouts on his train who had earlier tried to get into a compartment next to a group of Guides.

The author of the article evidently had access to the transcript of Col. McMullen's examination of the driver; Railways Archive only has his final report, which is more circumspect: "Driver McPherson [...] his attention was distracted by the school boys who had caused him some anxiety throughout the journey as they were frequently changing compartments at station." "According to his statement he was looking back along the train to ensure that a party of about 70 school boys in the first two coaches had closed all the doors."

There's a long tradition of not identifying potentially compromised ladies in the reports of railway accidents, going back to Staplehurst in 1865.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Nothing amusing about Belgian colonialism, as far as I'm aware.

That was Mark’s point.

He was mildly relieved it was “only” the French after that remark.

Enough: The humorous story was an attempt to put a full-stop to that discussion.

Edited by Regularity
1,100 pages!
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Wasn't there a truly horrible accident when a train driver was killed due to leaning too far out of his cab in order to play Peeping Tom on a courting couple in the compartment behind him? North London Line possibly?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

fishers-phospherine-advertisement-1909.png.97eab72b8070ef9d5696f7ebd1534830.png

I like the drawing of G R Brewley today, proving how well it works. Reminds me a bit  of a lyric in Flight Of the Conchords "Summer of 1353":

I Said, "Stable Man, would I be able
To hire a horse from
Which to woo milady?"

"Sire, there are two things
That I must see
One florin and
One form of picture ID"

"Alas, I have no ID on me
Who even carries ID?
It's 1353"

"I maketh not the rules"
Quoth he

I had a very unflattering
Tapestry made of me

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7

4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Wasn't there a truly horrible accident when a train driver was killed due to leaning too far out of his cab in order to play Peeping Tom on a courting couple in the compartment behind him? North London Line possibly?

Horrible? well I suppose it was horribly embarrassing for all concerned .......... 

5 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Which prompted me to post this great classic.

A rather bonkers version of Lily The Pink!

There was a girl at school called Jennifer Eccles, I don't think she had been given Medicinal Compound...

The outcomes still seem better than making a childs breakfast with milk from cows near Sellafield!

There's a railway in the ad too!

Page 1100, eh?

1728784933_JohnCleese1100.jpg.43e02a9fe9f543e48a5c3b080039f4d6.jpg

Edited by Hroth
Various
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I smell a rat. That's no locomotive Mr Bewley could have been run down by at Penrith, NSW, surely?

Given the list of ailments that the bright eyed and bushy moustached Mr George R. Bewley could have been cured of (Backache, Kidney and Bladder Ailments, Muscular Rheumatism, Neuralgia and Indigestion, and the after Effects of Influenza) I think it is a heartless quibble to question the identity of the locomotive that struck him. After all just look at the man - honesty, forthrightness and British to the core ........... haaarrrrummmmphhhh!!! Would  a man like that lie?

* Apparently Fishers Phospherine is still available - http://www.australian24.com/fishers-phospherine/

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
Please sir, it was Compound's fault, he put his comment in the wrong place.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Bold claims for homeopathy:

Uncle George and Aunty Mabel,

Fainted at the breakfast table.

This they took to be a warning.

Not to do it in the morning.

But “Phospherine” has set them right,

Now they do it morn and night.

Uncle George is hoping soon

To function in the afternoon.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

I know this is skating perilously close to the wind in terms of being on topic because while it concerns 0-6-0s it concerns one that is post grouping. And I also realise it might raise some quite impassioned debate but personally I've always found the Collett 2251 Class to be a singularly ill-proportioned locomotive. To me the cab and that smaller tapered boiler just don't sit easily together. At certain angles the front quarter view is passable but as one sees the broader picture it really looks odd. Reasonably efficient yes but visually lacking. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I smell a rat. That's no locomotive Mr Bewley could have been run down by at Penrith, NSW, surely?

Indeed, Smellarat sounds more like it's a town in Victoria. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

Is our future King still enthusiastic about homeopathy?

Since my previous neighbour (a retired senior hospital Consultant) diagnosed me over a shared late night bottle of Highland Park, on the 7 stage dementia scale  - as around stage 2 on a good day but stage 3 on a bad day, I can't actually remember what this thread is supposed to be about :)

Edited by runs as required
dodgy syntax
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

24 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Since my previous neighbour (a retired senior hospital Consultant) diagnosed me over a shared late night bottle of Highland Park, on the 7 stage dementia scale  

Remind me not to ask him/her/they round. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I know this is skating perilously close to the wind in terms of being on topic because while it concerns 0-6-0s it concerns one that is post grouping. And I also realise it might raise some quite impassioned debate but personally I've always found the Collett 2251 Class to be a singularly ill-proportioned locomotive. To me the cab and that smaller tapered boiler just don't sit easily together. At certain angles the front quarter view is passable but as one sees the broader picture it really looks odd. Reasonably efficient yes but visually lacking. 

Take your standard late 19th century locomotive, that the operating department are perfectly content with but is getting worn out, and replicate it with current standard parts. Worked with the 517 -> 14xx and, I might say, the Johnson 0-6-0 -> 3F or even 4F but somehow not with the 2301 -> 2251. I suspect it has something to do with visual preconceptions - with a locomotive with that face, we expect at least a leading pony truck, if not bogie.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2