• RMweb Premium

The only time I saw 2251s they were on Works trains, CCE or S&T, never on a goods train, but it must have happened sometimes. In this role they must have been just right, leaving sidings with a light train, going off somewhere, hanging around for ages, then back home.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

329F4BFC-B014-4ABC-B37A-9A5B69127509.jpeg.02f4f5b013694659c8da24585e9f4c94.jpeg

1950 edition, although I can’t claim to be a great number taker, where I lived and the amount I got out:

Western 0-6-0s:

893 (yeaaa)

2323, 2516, (double yeaaa)

2209,2228,2235. (yawn)

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

As this would I believe have been printed by a independent publishing agency, the text would have made by the almost certainly overworked and under payed company clerk, who would have then sent it off to the advertising/publishing agency/newspaper. I noted that to when I first read it as well. 

3 minutes ago, Northroader said:

329F4BFC-B014-4ABC-B37A-9A5B69127509.jpeg.02f4f5b013694659c8da24585e9f4c94.jpeg

1950 edition, although I can’t claim to be a great number taker, where I lived and the amount I got out:

Western 0-6-0s:

893 (yeaaa)

2323, 2516, (double yeaaa)

2209,2228,2235. (yawn)

Your lucky, the most variety I get here in Oklahoma is the odd green ex Santa Fe diesel which has yet to be repainted. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Odd that you should all gang-up on the 2251, because I was thinking only a few days ago that I might start pestering the modern coarse-0 commissioners to get ETS to make some. My logic being that a GWR 0-6-0 goods engine is a very obvious hole in the range of available types, and I prefer the quirky, modern-in-conservative-clothing, look of these over the old-crock look of the Dean Goods.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Odd that you should all gang-up on the 2251, because I was thinking only a few days ago that I might start pestering the modern coarse-0 commissioners to get ETS to make some. My logic being that a GWR 0-6-0 goods engine is a very obvious hole in the range of available types, and I prefer the quirky, modern-in-conservative-clothing, look of these over the old-crock look of the Dean Goods.

The Dean Goods is not old-crock enough to my eyes. I prefer the look of the Armstrong Goods with its double frames. As to the appearance of the broad gauge 0-6-0 goods engines?, I am too used to standard gauge proportions, all broad gauge locomotives should have been wider and taller (that is only my opinion, other opinions are also available).

Edited by rocor
I was being too dogmatic
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Your lucky, the most variety I get here in Oklahoma is the odd green ex Santa Fe diesel which has yet to be repainted. 

Given reports of corn height in the agricultural districts, I'm surprised that you were ever in a position to see one.

Mind you, much as I do not wish to be critical, a unit of measurement based upon an anatomical feature of a non-indigenous species strikes me as inherently unreliable.   

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I know this is skating perilously close to the wind in terms of being on topic because while it concerns 0-6-0s it concerns one that is post grouping. And I also realise it might raise some quite impassioned debate but personally I've always found the Collett 2251 Class to be a singularly ill-proportioned locomotive. To me the cab and that smaller tapered boiler just don't sit easily together. At certain angles the front quarter view is passable but as one sees the broader picture it really looks odd. Reasonably efficient yes but visually lacking. 

The Dean goods knocks spots off it whether round topped boile or Belpaire.

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Hardly what one would expect on an old fashioned layout . Learn to love the Dean Goods

Don 

• Agree 1

I spent wonderful wet Welsh teenage summers in small tents around the estuaries between Harlech, Portmadoc and back to the Rhinogs and Llan ffestiniog., climbing and volunteering at Boston Lodge.

I always felt shortchanged by boring Collett 0-6-0s always seeking out his characterful Dukedogs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rocor said:

The Dean Goods is not old-crock enough to my eyes. I prefer the look of the Armstrong Goods with its double frames. As to the appearance of the broad gauge 0-6-0 goods engines?, I am too used to standard gauge proportions, all broad gauge locomotives should have been wider and taller (that is only my opinion, other opinions are also available).

Have you seen the outside frame BG hoods engines, Tityos for example. They were just the firefly class but with a 0-6-0 wheel arrangement. I also agree with you on the Dean Goods, my personal favorite is the Beyer Goods.

1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Have you seen the outside frame BG hoods engines, Tityos for example. They were just the firefly class but with a 0-6-0 wheel arrangement. I also agree with you on the Dean Goods, my personal favorite is the Beyer Goods.

I did search the web for information on Tityos and the Beyer Goods, but ended up quite a bit later crawling out of a rabbit hole with questions not related to the broad gauge at all. Such as, why was James Holden, the Locomotive Superintendent of the GER from 1885 to 1907 designing a 0-4-0 tank locomotive for the GWR in 1901?. As an addendum to that question, why has Hornby been producing since 1978 a RTR model of a obscure one of a kind locomotive that only existed for 10 years in the early part of the 20th century?. All most peculiar!.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, rocor said:

I did search the web for information on Tityos and the Beyer Goods, but ended up quite a bit later crawling out of a rabbit hole with questions not related to the broad gauge at all. Such as, why was James Holden, the Locomotive Superintendent of the GER from 1885 to 1907 designing a 0-4-0 tank locomotive for the GWR in 1901?. As an addendum to that question, why has Hornby been producing since 1978 a RTR model of a obscure one of a kind locomotive that only existed for 10 years in the early part of the 20th century?. All most peculiar!.

What loco is this? The 2721 pannier?

20 minutes ago, Schooner said:

a7cea84d7a23d64e924e2250af1bab00.jpg

...?

I find myself strangely attracted to the ugly ducklings of the locomotive world. That includes GWR numbers 2601 and 2602, those  proto-swans of the more numerous 2600 class.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

This. Based on this. The internet is infested with misinformation on this locomotive. James Holden had indeed been an assistant to William Dean at Swindon until his appointment as Locomotive Superintendent at Stratford in 1885. In the 1890s, Holden was experimenting with oil-firing - Petrolea here. No. 101 was built in 1901 as a one-off oil-burning locomotive. I haven't got to the bottom of what happened but I can well imagine that Dean may have turned to his old assistant for advice on designing an oil-burner.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, Schooner said:

a7cea84d7a23d64e924e2250af1bab00.jpg

...?

46 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

To be fair, there are loaves of bread that look better than that. It Might have looked marginally better if they kept the leaf springs all the way down, but certainly has a charm.

21 minutes ago, rocor said:

I find myself strangely attracted to the ugly ducklings of the locomotive world. That includes GWR numbers 2601 and 2602, those  proto-swans of the more numerous 2600 class.

The Krugers, both the 2-6-0 and the 4-6-0 versions were ruddy odd, and no more a fore-runner of anything than the Holden 101 (Beloved of Hornby) was. But I do like them for their completely ungainly ugly duckling look. The Wikipedia article has a pic of the 4-6-0, which looked more balanced than the 2-6-0..  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2602_Class

The 2600 Abadares may have had some Kruger parts, but were a completely different kettle of fish!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2600_Class

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Hornby No. R333 GWR Holden class 101.