56 minutes ago, wagonman said:

The GWR had one of their Python CCTs specially strengthened to take elephants...

Nelly the elephant packed her trunk,

Caught the G,W,R at the station,

Off she went with a clanky clank,

Clank, clank, clank.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, rocor said:

Clank, clank, clank.

Oddly living in earshot of the WSR I dont hear much clanking from GWR locos unlike some others. Mind you this year I haven't heard any clanking at all.

Don

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 minutes ago, rocor said:

Clank, clank, clank.

Our zoo in Tulsa published a children’s book ages ago about its first Elephant named Gunda, and how she got stuck in Bermuda... 

She had quite a troubled journey from India, the ship lost its propellor halfway across the Atlantic and such.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Thank the good lord the snakes weren’t big enough to need anything other than an ordinary strength wagon.

There were the little known 48 foot long GWR Titanoboa wagons, and it was amazing just how long a Crocodile could grow.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

“The anaconda with the fringe on top”,

”I’m just a mahout who caint say no”

”everything’s out of date in West Norfolk”

”oh, what a beautiful D299”,

”oh, the lawyer and the taxman should be friends”

they just don’t write such great numbers these days.

Edited by Northroader
  • Funny 16

1 hour ago, rocor said:

There were the little known 48 foot long GWR Titanoboa wagons, and it was amazing just how long a Crocodile could grow.

I have a book with illustrations of an enormous crocodile in it, but it doesnt survive contact with an elephant at the end.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Zooms off into space IIRC.

No relevance to animal-themed railway wagons, although possibly to a locomotive, but I notice a common misspelling Corvid-19, which put me I mind of that old nursery rhyme:

One for sorrow; two for joy; three for a girl ......... nineteen for a pandemic.

And, could any other newspaper get into a lather of outrage about all these magpies, coming over here, stealing our jewellery?

4097F661-4B9A-4ADE-94D4-522212353E4A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Nuff said.

Agreed, but one thing in addition....

For some reason or other, my mother quite liked that version and I had to buy a copy of the single for her.   Its still somewhere about the house...  :crazy:

36 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

And, could any other newspaper get into a lather of outrage about all these magpies, coming over here, stealing our jewellery?

If we're going to have Magpies dragged into things, can we have Susan Stranks too?

And to keep on topic, because Blue Peter adopted a loco, Magpie adopted (and named) one too, "Black 5" 44806...

The name didn't last long.

Anyhow, I've always thought Corvid-19 was a better name for the Pandemic!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

No relevance to animal-themed railway wagons, although possibly to a locomotive, but I notice a common misspelling Corvid-19, which put me I mind of that old nursery rhyme:

One for sorrow; two for joy; three for a girl ......... nineteen for a pandemic.

Though possibly enough for a crime wave ...

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Might I ask what the IIRC is, was, or has been?

1 hour ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

That's what you get when you let bees from the marijuana crop pollinate the cotton crop.

Wish I'd though of that. It won't be happening here though as we have to grow all medical marijuana inside a greenhouse. But remember, only medical, w**d is permitted in this state. I've heard of bigger lies, but not many.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Northroader said:

Do they have elephants in Kansas, I thought the Indians native Americans had finished them off?

Never heard of Indian elephants?

14 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Funnily enough I’ve never seen that movie, or play.

One of their best, up there with South Pacific in my book.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

One for sorrow; two for joy; three for a girl .........

You naughty man. I now have an image of Jenny Hanley in my mind that will probably stay there all night...

19 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Our zoo in Tulsa published a children’s book ages ago about its first Elephant named Gunda, and how she got stuck in Bermuda... 

She had quite a troubled journey from India, the ship lost its propellor halfway across the Atlantic and such.

I should have thought that the most dangerous point of any journey to Tulsa is that at which one finds oneself a mere 24 hours away.

You can't hide from all the songs, you know.  Living where you do, your nation's propensity for celebrating almost anywhere there in a song is bound to catch up with you at some point.

At least in Barnard Castle I'm safe from that kind of thing, if not from other dangers. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

39 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I should have thought that the most dangerous point of any journey to Tulsa is that at which one finds oneself a mere 24 hours away.

You can't hide from all the songs, you know.  Living where you do, your nation's propensity for celebrating almost anywhere there in a song is bound to catch up with you at some point.

At least in Barnard Castle I'm safe from that kind of thing, if not from other dangers. 

Not only have you missed out in song, but the GWR seems to have been remiss in not slotting you in between Barbury and Barry.