• RMweb Premium

We have in the loft a crate of ELC Happyland track and trains that I've long fancied pressing into service. The Maharajah's train appears to stop automatically when a carafe is removed from one of the wagons; the Happyland train only stops when the driver is lifted out of the locomotive - my plan would be to replace him with a cruet.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, James Harrison said:

You might want to close that bridge before sending the inaugural train across. 

ghost train.png

Is that a Johnson 3f I see being abused? With Fowler tender? I shall have to call the proper authority’s!

(at heart I am a GWR man but like all things Kirtley and Johnson)

• Like 1

I think its a scene from one of the versions of Arnold Ridleys* "The Ghost Train", though I've not a clue which one.  I expect its a model, so in mid-20th Century terms it could be anything! 

* More famous nowadays as Private Godfrey in Dads Army. He served in both World Wars, as a private soldier in WW1, being severely wounded and medically discharged, and in WW2 as an officer before being discharged on health grounds and then joining the Home Guard.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I think its a scene from one of the versions of Arnold Ridleys* "The Ghost Train", though I've not a clue which one.  I expect its a model, so in mid-20th Century terms it could be anything! 

* More famous nowadays as Private Godfrey in Dads Army. He served in both World Wars, as a private soldier in WW1, being severely wounded and medically discharged, and in WW2 as an officer before being discharged on health grounds and then joining the Home Guard.

It's from the 1931 version, but then this scene was cut and pasted also into the 1941 version.

• Informative/Useful 3

Yes, and in the 1931 film you can see that the real loco is a Dean Goods, or one of those rebuilt Cambrian ones that looks roughly the same, loco 2441, and that the model is intended to be the same thing.

In the film there isn’t time to compare fine details as it flies through the air, so the affect (effect?) is as convincing as those sorts of things ever are.

The bridge looks a bit like Barmouth, but I think it has too many bowstring sections, unless the bridge has changed since the 1930s. [It is Barmouth according to “Reelstreets”, it must be the angle that makes it look like too many bowstrings.]

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Is that a Johnson 3f I see being abused? With Fowler tender? I shall have to call the proper authority’s!

(at heart I am a GWR man but like all things Kirtley and Johnson)

It's obviously not the Flying Scotsman.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

1 minute ago, Adam88 said:

It's obviously not the Flying Scotsman.

A pity, the best thing they could have done to the Flying Rustbucket!

42 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

The bridge looks a bit like Barmouth, but I think it has too many bowstring sections, unless the bridge has changed since the 1930s. [It is Barmouth according to “Reelstreets”, it must be the angle that makes it look like too many bowstrings.]

I'd always understood that the filmic bridge was Barmouth, but as I had no evidence to say that...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

A pity, the best thing they could have done to the Flying Rustbucket!

I'd always understood that the filmic bridge was Barmouth, but as I had no evidence to say that...

Rustbucket seems a bit harsh, I think "Rather Expensive National Rolling Treasure" might be more suitable.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

What sound does a driver make upon insertion?

Probably similar to the rest of the population, when being inserted - perhaps a little more drawn out - due to inertia from the attachments at the rear end?

Julian

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, webbcompound said:

I note that the Happyland train "makes a realistic noise" when the driver is inserted. At c£40 you could buy a set just for the sound, how does this compare to other available sound chips?

58 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

What sound does a driver make upon insertion?

I really can't recall, other than that they were amusing enough to persons under the ages of two and thirty-six, as we were at the time.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

more to the point Mister Mayor has the Navvy s  camp been established and have they broken ground  

Nick B

...or just wind?

1 hour ago, nick_bastable said:

more to the point Mister Mayor has the Navvy s  camp been established and have they broken ground  

Nick B

I haven't actually bought any track.

In fact, a track plan might be an idea (I think we should have a station).

Besides, no progress immediately as I'm going off to do what people in Barnard Castle do when they need an eye test ... drive 160 miles to Leicester. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

While our host takes a break in Leicester, I'd like to ask about Barmouth bridge.

I can't ever recall seeing the northerly one of the bowstring pair of spans ever swing. 

I assume it must - since the expensive refurb of the whole bridge (to eradicate a timber worm attack?) some years back to save the line north to Phwlleli; it coincided with the exponential growth in leisure sailing along the coast around Porthmadog since the 1970s.

• RMweb Gold

It used to be needed as boats would come up the river to be loaded or unloaded that no longer happens so there is no need for it to turn. When I spoke to the chap in the money booth about 2007, he could remember it did turn but not for many years.post-8525-0-16231000-1427562546_thumb.jpg

Photo just beause I like it.

Don

• Like 6

There was a tremendous fuss when the South Eastern & Chatham Rly suggested fixing the Kingsferry lifting bridge on the Sittingbourne to Sheerness branch in around 1902 (the original bridge of 1860 had been damaged by floods and no longer worked properly).  Various local barge owners got an injunction requiring them to open the bridge, with a year's delay in execution to enable them to build a new bridge.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Could I insist on it being opened if it was obstructing navigation of my vessel?

It might be an expensive test case:

1) buy a vessel big enough to justify it being opened;

2) pay tug to tow vessel out of now heavily silted channel in which it has got stuck while attempting to navigate to the bridge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I wonder what the legal position is. Could I insist on it being opened if it was obstructing navigation of my vessel?

If it is a statutory right of navigation then it is quite a complex procedure to extinguish it. When they built a new flood bank round Cley a sluice would have cut off access to the quay, historically important but now rarely used, so they built a canal-style gate instead. Every time there is a very high tide forecast the gate is closed. It's saved us from a soaking at least twice in the last 15 years.

862405355_SpeedwellatCleyGate.jpg.fe38dfbab9545b318e95899df53f2307.jpg

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1