• RMweb Premium

5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Personally I'm a huge fan of Kayleigh Mcenany because of the way she can make black mean white.

2 minutes ago, brianusa said:

She's photogenic, young, blonde and can spin a yarn well. 

Lies for anyone, is that what you're saying?

• Funny 2

4 minutes ago, brianusa said:

She's photogenic, young, blonde and can spin a yarn well.  Apart from the fact thats she's a Trumper, whats not to like?:rolleyes:

Brian.

Favourite from the last couple of days..

(Trump tweet threatens to cut funding to schools if they don't reopen in the middle of a pandemic)

Mckenany press conference" "The president is actually saying he wants to increase funding to schools" 

Sound of reporters heads exploding.

Can't talk, we have our own issues here with our leader, now he's going around standing on peoples new lawns...

https://www.theregister.com/2020/06/04/australia_pm_grass/

• Funny 2

5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

So's my Labrador, but I wouldn't put him in charge of anything

Couldn't do much worse. The latest idiocy is that they are proposing Failing Grayling be head of the intelligence oversight committee and Liam Fox as boss of the WTO. WTF seems more appropriate.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, brianusa said:

I rather think you can take Trump and his tweets as real.  It would appear that his words are considered honest, factual and truthful as uttered by his henchpeople who are only too happy to make fools of themselves also.  Another term for this aging president would be a gift to his followers and a disaster for the rest but the answer is not necessarily Joe Biden, as he is even older!.  The sad part about this whole episode is that there are no younger qualified contestants for the job coming along!  God help America!;)

Brian

Take heart, Kanye West has offered his services, however he is demonstrably mentally unstable (i.e. mad as bag full of frogs) and married to a Kardashian (that's the equivalent of plighting one's troth to a bag of silica and a syringe of botox) which on the Richter scale of intellectual incompetency is 12. But then a minority of US voters chose Trump in 2016 so he has a good chance of getting in if he actually can get over the formalities of nomination. I used to admire the US democratic system which for all its faults did manage to elect some competent Presidents now all you need to get elected is to tell the voters "... like being grabbed by their pussies".  That should have attracted condemnation from the ASPCA but they were too sleepy to notice   :scratchhead:;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

I suspect its time for this 

and them hopefully back to trains

Nick B

Ahhhhhh...

The good old days of Television!

(Not that I remember so far back...)

08:00   The Testcard and transmitter information

10:00   Schools programs and Interludes

12:00   The Testcard, transmitter information and more interludes

16:00   Childrens TV

17:00   The Testcard (AKA Todellers Truce)

18:00   Evening Broadcasting commences

10:30   Epilogue and shutdown

Then ITV started up and the rat-race began, though the interludes still introduced the change from the testcard to broadcasting for a while. 

Talking of the interludes, have you links to The Kittens, The  Windmill and Ploughing?  Sadly, there never was a Trains interlude, which would have made fascinating viewing!  Realising that it was a Ewetoob clip, I looked and found the Windmill and a Spinning one, which I didn't remember.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Sadly, there never was a Trains interlude,

Wasn't Bob Symes' film of his models, set to "Wheels" and shot in part through a stencil of a carriage window, an interlude?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Wasn't Bob Symes' film of his models, set to "Wheels" and shot in part through a stencil of a carriage window, an interlude?

Probably a Christmas Novelty, but interludes were a 50s thing and had gone out of fashion by then. 

You can imagine it.  "Another ruddy interlude!  Change over to ITV luv, there might be something more interesting! clunk of TV turret tuner..."

• Informative/Useful 2

41 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Know the one you mean.  Can't see that it's available online, so I offer instead .....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Talking of the interludes, have you links to The Kittens, The  Windmill and Ploughing?  Sadly, there never was a Trains interlude, which would have made fascinating viewing!  Realising that it was a Ewetoob clip, I looked and found the Windmill and a Spinning one, which I didn't remember.

as requested

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/interludes/zjkk382

Nick B

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

But then a minority of US voters chose Trump in 2016

A friend of mine voted for one of the “fringe” candidates last time. He didn’t want Trump at all, and is embarrassed by him, yet he was not going to let the Clintons get back into power!

238C0429-0680-40E8-BFC6-806E2BB5BA6A.jpeg.57bca436ed43f9d5a4241b8fb94509c4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Ahhhhhh...

Then ITV started up and the rat-race began, though the interludes still introduced the change from the testcard to broadcasting for a while. 

Maybe they should have used this...

https://youtu.be/6vdb79xXMWg

Or maybe not, far too steamy.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Hroth said:

Ahhhhhh...

I also have a vague recollection of "trade test films".  Short documentary films that appeared during the day, handy for the TV repair industry testing the latest of the many repairs that they had to make, TVs were not very reliable back then.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 1

I’d say it could well be LSWR, which must have made for pent-up feelings, because the first tunnel is absolutely ages from Waterloo, Guildford I think being the nearest, but I’m open to correction.

Headcode might help.

3DF37590-71D6-42E5-8F19-2B40161410C5.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Very interesting - I wonder whether either of my Grandmothers would have given him the ‘come on’ in 1899 like she did ?
What was that 1899 train? LSWR ?

Shillamill Tunnel, according to the BFI:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-kiss-in-the-tunnel-1899-online

There's a "northern" version by Riley Brothers of Bradford, featuring Midland trains around Esholt:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-kiss-in-the-tunnel-1899-online-0

It goes in a 0-4-4T and comes out a 4-4-0 - if the G.A. Smith film is one of the earliest examples of film editing, this must be the earliest example of a continuity error!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I believe the Robert Symes film with "Wheels" accompaniment is taken from the following - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPoDYi8CZ5M

It looks to me like thae same film - but it was a long while ago!

Regards

Chris H

That's the one I remember Chris - thanks.

7 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I believe the Robert Symes film with "Wheels" accompaniment is taken from the following - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPoDYi8CZ5M

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's the one I remember

Never saw that one, evidently it was used on the BBC as a filler short, I suppose it was used around things like Railway Roundabout?  Wheels was in the charts in 1960, so it can't be any earlier.

I like the Hand of God shot at the end!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1