• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Never saw that one, evidently it was used on the BBC as a filler short, I suppose it was used around things like Railway Roundabout?  Wheels was in the charts in 1960, so it can't be any earlier.

I like the Hand of God shot at the end!

From what I can see, part of the film was shot on Bob's Payerbrook and Fairlie layout, which was very small - probably the classic 6' x 4'. The rest was shot on a specially-built "photo plank" as we would term it. Very nostalgic for those of us of a certain age.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That's a very effective little film, especially the framing of the carriage window. Certainly worth copying as a style with today's cameras and the standard of modelling seen round these parts.

Alan 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Buhar said:

That's a very effective little film, especially the framing of the carriage window. Certainly worth copying as a style with today's cameras and the standard of modelling seen round these parts.

The graininess of the film adds to the realism - in part, I'm sure, by masking some of the limitations of the modelling of the day. I saw at least a couple of Triang and Airfix favourites - river bridge and engine shed? But well-integrated into the scene.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, webbcompound said:

It is worth looking Bob Symes' biography up if you feel the need to think you haven't done enough with your life. Being Robert Alexander Baron Schutzmann von Schutzmandorf, and WW2 Royal Navy MTB commander in the Med is only the start of it. 

I remember reading a description of him in one of the model railway magazines:

"beneath that benign Father Christmas exterior lurks a mind that could take Machiavelli to the cleaners"

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

On this day (more or less) in July 1905, the sporting gentry of West Norfolk were rocked by the news* that for the first time, a non-Briton had won the Wimbledon Ladies' Singles Championship - American May Sutton beat seven times Champion (in due course) and Olympic Gold Medallist (1908) Dorothea Douglass 6-3, 6-4. Douglass, or Chambers as she bacame after her marriage in 1907, met her ultimate nemesis in Frenchwoman Suzanne Lenglen, whose name is familiar to modern tennis followers through the court named in her honour at Roland Garros.

*Well, they probably read it in the following Monday's newspapers.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, they probably read it in the following Monday's newspapers.

With much rustling of paper and harrumphing!

Blasted American fillys winning at  Wimbledon! Countrys going to the dogs, by god!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

From what I can see, part of the film was shot on Bob's Payerbrook and Fairlie layout, which was very small - probably the classic 6' x 4'. The rest was shot on a specially-built "photo plank" as we would term it. Very nostalgic for those of us of a certain age.

I'd like to know more about the Payerbrook & Fairlie - there was an article about it in what was probably the first issue of Model Railway Constructor I saw (early 1960) and I was particularly intrigued by the electric interurban section, which seemed to get less attention even though it was a more original idea.

• Like 3

If you look at photos of Dorothea Douglass and May Sutton, the thing that strikes about both is their look of utter, grim determination, even when loafing about - it must have been a very tough final match, made harder by being played while wearing enough clothing for an arctic winter.

Here is Sutton "acclimatising to the English conditions" https://www.tennisforum.com/threads/may-sutton-the-first-overseas-wimbledon-champion-by-alan-little.430341/page-2

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

On this day (more or less) in July 1905, the sporting gentry of West Norfolk were rocked by the news that for the first time, a non-Briton had won the Wimbledon Ladies' Singles Championship - American May Sutton beat seven times Champion (in due course) and Olympic Gold Medallist (1908) Dorothea Douglass 6-3, 6-4. Douglass, or Chambers as she bacame after her marriage in 1907, met her ultimate nemesis in Frenchwoman Suzanne Lenglen, whose name is familiar to modern tennis followers through the court named in her honour at Roland Garros.

9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

If you look at photos of Dorothea Douglass and May Sutton, the thing that strikes about both is their look of utter, grim determination, even when loafing about - it must have been a very tough final match, made harder by being played while wearing enough clothing for an arctic winter.

Here is Sutton "acclimatising to the English conditions" https://www.tennisforum.com/threads/may-sutton-the-first-overseas-wimbledon-champion-by-alan-little.430341/page-2

The weather for July 1905

July - Warm, dry and sunny.

Mean Temperature 19.1°C  

Monthly Highest 27.5°C  Total Rain  43 mm

Monthly Lowest 10.1°C Total Sun 240 hrs

Nearly 24mm of rain fell on the 1st, and generally the first week of July was rather cool and unsettled. On the 4th the maximum temperature was 19,8°C, the only day with a high below 20°C. A warm spell commenced on the 6th and this then lasted until mid month. On the 8th, the maximum temperature was over 27°C. A short spell of rather cool and changeable weather began during the third week, although the last week of July became mostly fine and warm.  

http://www.london-weather.eu/article.45.html

Sports clothing even then would probably have been lighter than everyday wear. Despite looking thick and bulky, I should imagine that light cottons and linens would have been worn. The main problem would be that of restricted movement. Depending on local conditions the clothing may not have been so much of a problem!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The Wikipedia article states that the Championships ran from Monday 26 June to Saturday 8 July - there would have been no play on any Sunday., I presume. It is unclear when each final was played, presumably the Mens' on the Saturday. The Men's competition had a very much larger field than the Ladies', which suggests that the ladies didn't get going until the second week. So that final was almost certainly played in warm conditions. The knock-out stage produced a challenger who then played the reigning champion, who had not competed in the knock-out competition. That, to my mind, would automatically put the reigning champion at a disadvantage.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

"Bustles, corsets, and hats ceased to be common fashion items in tennis between 1903 and 1914."

But wouldn't it be fun if the Authorities at Wimbledon mandated that the Ladies adopted these fashions once more, and that the Gentlemen had to wear long trousers....  :jester:

But with bustles and corsets, the vocal excesses of the players would at least be justified!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Hroth said:

But wouldn't it be fun if the Authorities at Wimbledon mandated that the Ladies adopted these fashions once more, and that the Gentlemen had to wear long trousers....  :jester:

But with bustles and corsets, the vocal excesses of the players would at least be justified!

Wouldn't it be fun if it were the other way round...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I misheard her name initially as “Gusset Moran”...

(Anyone with a decent upbringing involving Meccano will know that a gusset is simply a strengthening piece of material, but anyone else is generally only aware of the term with respect to underwear. I was mightily confused the first time I heard the word used in the latter context, I can tell you!)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Regularity said:

I misheard her name initially as “Gusset Moran”...

(Anyone with a decent upbringing involving Meccano will know that a gusset is simply a strengthening piece of material, but anyone else is generally only aware of the term with respect to underwear. I was mightily confused the first time I heard the word used in the latter context, I can tell you!)

Also Scots for a useless triangular bit of land, I'm told.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

She actually looks very uncomfortable in that film, as if she wishes that she wasn't having to do it.

I can understand why - she was a champion tennis player who probably could have beaten most of the males on the planet in a game of tennis. Instead her only sporting accomplishment seems to be, according to the media of the time, her legs.

One can understand why women's lib developed. :scratch_one-s_head_mini: 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3