12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

@rocor wasn't implying any such thing, just saying that there's bound to be Russian misinformation entering play - possibly in league with @Hroth, who appears to be trying to open a second front.

I'm just trying to ensure that they're all completely sha.... out exhausted by time they get to Castle Aching and merely want to return to their own cosy firesides!

9 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Ich bin ein Berliner

Is that all they are?  A Jam doughnut?

9 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

As I am new to this, err, "parish", might I ask of the significance of a apparently 1940s woman, who goes by JA, sailing in a dinghy? 

JA is one of the many Muses adored by parishoners of CA.  Her incarnation with the dinghy is set in that long-ago summer before the Great War descended upon the world*.

There are others, including the myriad flame-haired Pre-Raff temptresses and, of course "Hilda", who hasn't been seen for a while.

* See "Riddle of the Sands"   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Riddle_of_the_Sands_(film)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Riddle_of_the_Sands

Edited by Hroth
Just re-arranging the deckchairs :-)
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Hroth said:

JA is one of the many Muses adored by parishoners of CA.  Her incarnation with the dinghy is set in that long-ago summer before the Great War descended upon the world*.

There are others, including the myriad flame-haired Pre-Raff temptresses and, of course "Hilda", who hasn't been seen for a while.

And including a number of men with mostly improbable moustaches

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Moustaches I can understand, but this bizarre speaking in tongues that occurred is a different issue - what pentecostal madness overtook the forum while  I was asleep?

It should not be encouraged. When I was an undergraduate (first year) one of my subjects was English Literature (it was a filler as I had a spare subject to make up outside my intended major). That notwithstanding I picked it because of my love of English literature. However we had a particularly serious student who was German (an intense race, little humour, I'm afraid) and he suggested that we could also look at other countries literature in, shock gasp!!, the original language. 

Our tutor who was to all and intents and purposes rather colourless cracked his only joke for the year which was "No thank you I'm a monoglot!!" - at least I think he was joking as he was not exactly the most quick witted person I ever met. 

So please if one is going to be pentecostal I'm sure there's a forum devoted to railways as the road to heavenly salvation; presumably the moderator is of that sainly persuasion that solicits donations via the television set.  :diablo_mini:     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

The French have landed at Overstrand!! 

Man the guns; call out the militia; panic!!!

(an attempt to cause distraction and thereby delay the onset of Hilda)

Is there no-one brave enough?

HoS.jpg.9adec1e7ac997f8945fcf21514aa2351.jpg

muffled snigger.....

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I have adopted a soup-strainer

I know Labradors will eat anything, but what's one of those?

btw A minutes silence for the desecration of the grave of Guy Gibsons Black Labrador.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

btw A minutes silence for the desecration of the grave of Guy Gibsons Black Labrador.

Maybe not go down this route eh? The grave isn't desecrated. It still has a perfectly satisfactory gravestone which says everything you need to know about the dog and his owner. It sits on an active RAF base. The RAF has pretty clear guidance on these things.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Hroth said:

But did they have snow on their boots?

To be polyglot...

Rwy'n credu y gallech chi fynd heibio Caerdydd a Wrecsam a Crewe, oddi yno i Benbedw a gofyn am gyfarwyddiadau pellach yn Bidston.

(I'm just trying to delay their arrival...)

Y llwybr tlws?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Ich bin ein Berliner

Donuts_header.jpg

But only in the Ruhrgebiet. Try asking for one of those in Berlin and you'll get some very funny looks. There it's a Pfannkuchen. You can't get decent currywurst east of Hanover either...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, webbcompound said:

And including a number of men with mostly improbable moustaches

On our morning dog walk we met with the chap with two Griffons who is now sporting a most magnificent moustache that would be the envy of any fighter pilot. Definitely in the improbable class.

Don

Just thought it could be a lockdown special 

Edited by Donw
additional info
  • Like 3

Griffons, eh?

They have a firm link to railways, in that one was the symbol of London Transport, and in particular LT Catering, for many years. The catering logo was designed by Eric Ravillious no less, in the days when the canteens of a publicly-owned transport service were deemed important enough to merit decoration by a prominent artist.

D2470094-5AA3-4D2B-8A13-34D4899E558E.jpeg

4A9BA4FE-1393-4E3E-AC5E-B187BC53BD98.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Griffons, eh?

They have a firm link to railways, in that one was the symbol of London Transport, and in particular LT Catering, for many years. The catering logo was designed by Eric Ravillious no less, in the days when the canteens of a publicly-owned transport service were deemed important enough to merit decoration by a prominent artist.

D2470094-5AA3-4D2B-8A13-34D4899E558E.jpeg

4A9BA4FE-1393-4E3E-AC5E-B187BC53BD98.jpeg

Thank you for that snippet of information.....   I always wondered about the content of the Beef Sandwiches, but their Bacon Butties...  WERE magnificent!!

Julian

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Morning All,

How about some modelling?

Terra-forming and track planning on the Test Track (having acquired the necessary N gauge turnouts and more Peco 'mainline' 009 track this week).

On the right you can see where I have amended the landscape slightly to aid the transition to the board at right angles crossing in front of the window. 

As this is also intended to serve as a photo-plank for posing trains, to the greatest extent possible I want to soften baseboard edges with downward sloping grass areas so that catching 'off-stage' architecture is minimised. 

1733297229_IMG_0028-Copy.JPG.b575a0188614f336146b9e5f5591d658.JPG

I seem to have formed a simple passing station.  A station needs a building, of course. I thought that a NG Light Railway, something of the Lynton & Barnstaple/Leek & Manifold ilk, might have something influenced by fin de siècle Swiss chalet style, with Neo-classical pretensions. That's what I'm aiming form, anyway.

1001073764_IMG_0029-Copy.JPG.cf7988c03d52ff29e8077b945b107c1c.JPG

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

16 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Modelling? Narrow gauge?? Have I dozed off again? What threads this? Help, where’s nurse?

I blame this blasted Pandemic - its kept us away from modelling.

Never mind, here's Nursie.

1175589674_BabstheNurse.jpg.15fe696d24f6a5786f6c06f082259646.jpg

She'll sort you out...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

23 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Modelling? Narrow gauge?? Have I dozed off again? What threads this? Help, where’s nurse?

Someone at the back of the class has not been paying attention!

23 May: "Should I choose to make the 009 track a circuit, that would complicate matters"

24 May: "ultimately I would have two test track circuits, one OO and the other OO9"

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Someone at the back of the class has not been paying attention!

23 May: "Should I choose to make the 009 track a circuit, that would complicate matters"

24 May: "ultimately I would have two test track circuits, one OO and the other OO9"

Well, yes it is your thread but you could let a chap know, you know - some of us are at certain age when any implication that we might have missed something is inclined to give us a bit of a shock. :scratchhead:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2