3 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

some of us are at certain age when any implication that we might have missed something is inclined to give us a bit of a shock

Its not so much the "missed it", but the "forgotten we had read it" that begins to worry one.....  :senile:

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, wagonman said:

Eh? Quidcumque.

Um ....... amo amas amat.....  oh I give up.  I use to drive my latin teacher to despair when i was in school.

A quid is an awful lot to pay for a cucumber.

Edited by Annie
Um
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Whatever. Driving Latin masters to despair seems like the very least one should do to them. Mr Burgess, for it was he, also wanted to inflict classical Greek on me but I managed to dodge that bullet and did German instead. As a totally unintended consequence I now have a very lovely German wife – who features in my avatar providing motive power for our garden railway.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Which is, of course, high on the list of ‘wifely qualities’ that any young chap should have  in mind when setting out on life.

"Must be willing to push as well as pull"

2 hours ago, wagonman said:

Eh? Quidcumque.

Or, as the cool Roman youth had it: Quidcum'.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 2

I know one thing about Latin

Latin is a language
As dead as dead can be
It killed the ancient Romans
And now its killing ME!

2 hours ago, Annie said:

Um ....... amo amas amat.....  oh I give up.  I use to drive my latin teacher to despair when i was in school.

When I was asked to decline a table, I declined to.

The teacher was not impressed.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I do seem to be finding some of my memory seems a bit blurry at times. I can remember when young the who singing 'Hope I die before I get old' doesn't sound such a good idea now. Although it made me ponder about growing old. I think the body is growing old but my mind.. I dont think I have an old mind set. I do not keep on about ' That sound last me out.... I wont leave here unless its in a box.......' No planting about 50 trees and lots of shrubs, building a large shed down where the garden railway will be going, designing and building DCC controls, planning an autofiddleyard/block instrument/control do not seem to me to be a mind resting on its laurels. 

So if I forget things its because I am too busy with new ideas

If the body plays up its because I am driving it do hard

If I seem out of step with the world it is because the world has taken a wrong turn

right thats sorted time for a cuppa and then a dog walk.

Don

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Good to see the narrow gauge coming to the fore.

The station building has the feel of a US Depot or something from the CF du Calvados with that little bay at the front.

BF33E66D-F96C-42D8-B4C7-25A0AFB8272D.jpeg

Précisément.

1306204711_IMG_0030-Copy.JPG.bf1fa5e8f1003f879e2da37adbd9a3c3.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Now the ace move in the game:

Ward Kimball’s ‘Grizzly Flats depot.

DAE7D217-66DA-4BF5-81E7-148016C5A593.jpeg.c75ff92d152bb4a79ac78e29ee3069ab.jpeg

This was copies from a pattern-book design, which was in turn taken from a depot, which was designed by an emigre Alsacienne architect, who may well have designed the early CFduC stations.

Cycle racing against trains was clearly the popular alternative to boules at Benouville.

Here we see competitors discussing the result at the finish.

3C8C9472-BB45-4EE4-9985-DF11EFA5AF3B.jpeg.405dfcb839d9cae1ad3900694d7e327f.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

@Lecorbusier has drawn attention to the general similarity of this "Swiss Chalet" style with the early work of the architect in honour of whom he takes his nom-de-web. There was some discussion of this re. Matlock Bath station, which also branched out into North American wayside station design. Blowed if I can find it.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 3

The style is very pretty.

Midsomer Brevis was only going to get a late Victorian brick shed for the station building, I may well have a shot at one of those Chalets!  It'll fit in nicely as the putative originator of the Midsomer Light Railway, or MLR was rather Francophone, and imported a French narrow gauge railbus for off-peak services!

http://smallbrookstudio.co.uk/kits-parts/4569521214/rail-motor-car/3771605

• Like 4

Matlock Bath really is “Swiss Chalet“, Low-pitched roof, overhanging, and gabled, but the Calvados ones were inspired by local vernacular, which is confusingly similar to Alsacienne vernacular, And Wealden come to that, steeper pitch, hips and, very importantly, half-hips.

The Lynton & Barnstaple stations manage to include all sorts - Swiss roof pitch, hips and half-hips. I guess that’s what you got when you specified “picturesque” in the 1890s.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Matlock Bath really is “Swiss Chalet“

What makes it exceptional in this context is that it was built about half a century earlier than all these fin de siècle light/narrow gauge railway "picturesque" buildings.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I think Swiss Chalet style was revived, with added not-Swiss bits in the 1890s, having been very popular in the 1840/50s - I’ve got a vague idea that the pay-huts at the Great Exhibition might have looked like mini versions of Matlock Bath station. I do get confused by it all though, because the Victorians went through so many revivals and picturesque styles in such a short time that they make current fashion-fads seem slow-paced.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well, for that fin de siècle picturesque look it was either derive the NG station from the Clever Models HO US rural dépôt kit, or base it on the public convenience in March! 

2612045594.jpg.29cf3ac5b64a88d954d0332f189bfc2d.jpg

(since sadly b8ggered about)

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

Great minds, and all that ......

This naturally weathered station from my former garden railway began life as a kit for an American public toilet.

(there used to be a sign on the roof, but it, and one of the supports, fell off long ago)

894572C6-23D3-4937-AFA2-5EAB8932A30F.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Midsomer Brevis was only going to get a late Victorian brick shed for the station building, I may well have a shot at one of those Chalets! 

Midsomer Brevis isn't that the motto of Midsomer where three murders per visit are mandatory? :jester:

• Like 1