• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Midsomer Brevis isn't that the motto of Midsomer where three murders per visit are mandatory? :jester:

could be worse it might be 

St. Mary Mead which in retrospect I always imaging a Great Western  station 

Nick B

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

This naturally weathered station from my former garden railway began life as a kit for an American public toilet.

(there used to be a sign on the roof, but it, and one of the supports, fell off long ago)

Very realistic. The solitary bracket adds to the air of authenticity!

6 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Midsomer Brevis isn't that the motto of Midsomer where three murders per visit are mandatory?

Funny you should mention that, there is going to be an ongoing murder investigation at the Agricultural Engineers premises opposite the station...

5 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

St. Mary Mead which in retrospect I always imaging a Great Western  station 

In the essentially rural Midsomer, it'd probably be St. Mary Mead ROAD.  2 miles from the village perhaps?

• Like 3

Im often tempted to try a brennan monorail in 7mm. I know it's been done in 1:22, I rather suspect the physics gets quite a lot harder as you go down scales.

I'm pretty sure I've seen models of both lartigue systems in o scale, and I think don boreham built one (probably 16mm).

Edited by brack

DB’s was 16mm/ft, and IIRC he built the  vertical boiler loco demonstrator that was Exhibited at a RASE ‘do’, as well as the L&B one. I saw them at a NG show where he was demonstrating card coach building donkey’s years ago.

The replica L&B is great fun and the project leader guy is very friendly - he took me on a tour of the genuine remains, which are on private land at land at Ballybunion. One of the original curved-roof corrugated iron station buildings and a turntable-point base.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

DB’s was 16mm/ft, and IIRC he built the  vertical boiler loco demonstrator that was Exhibited at a RASE ‘do’, as well as the L&B one. I saw them at a NG show where he was demonstrating card coach building donkey’s years ago.

The replica L&B is great fun and the project leader guy is very friendly - he took me on a tour of the genuine remains, which are on private land at land at Ballybunion. One of the original curved-roof corrugated iron station buildings and a turntable-point base.

I have the 'A' frames for the track in 1/16 scale in my tiny Shapeways shop.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/annie-s-lartigue-monorail-shop

This was a project I was working on when I got ill with narcolepsy.  I've never sold any and it's something I've long ago consigned to the 'complete waste of time' basket.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

More on-topic, we are on the long drive home from a day at the West Norfolk seaside, which was looking very fine today.

706CA417-2E67-4A49-B788-D810DED562F6.jpeg

2F022E20-4E38-4281-9188-E0E1C45B6397.jpeg

Just south of sunny hunny? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Annie said:

I have the 'A' frames for the track in 1/16 scale in my tiny Shapeways shop.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/annie-s-lartigue-monorail-shop

This was a project I was working on when I got ill with narcolepsy.  I've never sold any and it's something I've long ago consigned to the 'complete waste of time' basket.

Stop trying to tempt me with new projects I  have quite enough.  1/16th would be a grand scale gauge 1 track 1 3/4 ins pretty close for Tal y Llyn. Garden railways have largely settled for 1/19 and 7/8ths plus G scale which is a sort of anything you want it to be scale around 1:22.5 not especially convenient scales.

Don

PS rmWEB offline tomorrow.

18 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Midsomer Brevis isn't that the motto of Midsomer where three murders per visit are mandatory? :jester:

At least Father Brown has a real railway handy!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

50 minutes ago, Donw said:

Stop trying to tempt me with new projects I  have quite enough. 

1/16th is a nice scale to work in Don.  At that size things can be constructed in much the same way as the prototype which is really good when it comes to making buildings.  Small narrow gauge lines with small and interesting rolling stock is where 1/16th scale really shines.

Once I developed narcolepsy though I threw it all into some boxes and I haven't looked at since.

• Friendly/supportive 6

28 minutes ago, NeilHB said:

That really is rather charming and delightful James. 

26 minutes ago, Annie said:

Now that is lovely James.

Thank you both.

The plan was to print out this HO Rural or Small Town Dépôt kit in 4mm scale and Anglicise. This, I reasoned, could look like some cheaply done but orné 1890s Light Railway structure, drawing on the Swiss Chalet style that cropped up here, France and in the US as previously discussed, with that mix of Tudor and classical influences one sees in a 'Queen Anne' revival style.  

My thoughts were:

- Give the building a masonry base (here Smart Models brick)

- Replace the clapboard with render (here Scalescenes stucco)

- Instead of having a separate, lower, roof, have a single roof (like e.g. Lynton station, albeit with the overhang at a different, shallower, pitch). 

- Replace the diamond tiles.  Although occasionally seen in England, e.g.Tetbury, they would not be as typically English as small clay tiles (here Scalescenes).

- Lose the goods shed end (a separate small lock-up would better represent UK practice).

Things did not go exactly to plan, however.  I almost never do mock-ups, but here I printed the kit enlarged to 4mm scale in greyscale to get an impression of how it would look.  Even shorn of the goods section it was too large. 

So, I decided that I would print the kit to the original HO size, but with the doors printed to 4mm scale and the 4mm scale masonry plinth adding height. 

What we need now are two tall brick chimneys.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, brack said:

Im often tempted to try a brennan monorail in 7mm. I know it's been done in 1:22, I rather suspect the physics gets quite a lot harder as you go down scales.

What, gyroscopes and all?

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

More on-topic, we are on the long drive home from a day at the West Norfolk seaside, which was looking very fine today.

706CA417-2E67-4A49-B788-D810DED562F6.jpeg

2F022E20-4E38-4281-9188-E0E1C45B6397.jpeg

Very flat, Norfolk.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Not really flat at all.... Even the Fens go up and down, but as you head away from the fens it is really quite rolling....

Andy G

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Annie said:

1/16th is a nice scale to work in Don.  At that size things can be constructed in much the same way as the prototype which is really good when it comes to making buildings.  Small narrow gauge lines with small and interesting rolling stock is where 1/16th scale really shines.

Once I developed narcolepsy though I threw it all into some boxes and I haven't looked at since.

I suppose knives are a problem. How about scissors cut out parts from card then treat with shellac simply glue the dried parts together some small bits of stripwood sawn with a small razor saw nothing too dangerous there. Is that feasible? I dont wish to pry I would imagine it is whether you have any warning or not. You have my sympathy it must be frustrating.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Not really flat at all..

.. Even the Fens go up and down, but as you head away from the fens it is really quite rolling....

Andy G

The halt at Kelling Heath on the Poppy line is so steep that trains only stop on the way down

• Agree 1