• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, uax6 said:

Not really flat at all.... Even the Fens go up and down, but as you head away from the fens it is really quite rolling....

Andy G

1 hour ago, Donw said:

The halt at Kelling Heath on the Poppy line is so steep that trains only stop on the way down

39 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

Castle Rising football pitch and Narborough cricket fields had slopes to match anything that I played on in the West Riding!

Ian T

Don't blame me, blame Noel Coward!

5 hours ago, Annie said:

Knives were definitely out Don.  I was a bit so-so about scissors, but razor saws were a lot safer.  After injuring my hands a few times and spilling things I gave up in frustration, but back then I didn't really understand what was going on with me.  I do now though and I'm much more aware of warning signs that I'm likely to drop into a sleep state.

I worked a lot in wood and for that I found a razor saw to be my most useful tool.  I used to cut wooden parts for models from offcuts of wood that had been given to me for kindling for our wood stove and I have a couple of goods wagons that were made this way for the larger timbers with the rest of the planking provided by coffee stirrers and lolly sticks from the local craft shop.

I don't want to hi-jack James's thread, but this is a project that I would like to finish.  I know it's unashamedly whimsical, but I had a lot of fun getting it to this stage before I stopped model making.

586g0Sj.jpg

That is so full of charisma.

What;s the project?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

That is so full of charisma.

What;s the project?

I was going to build a small line in 1/16th scale featuring the signal box and a small station with a passing loop James.  Being 1/16th scale it wouldn't have been all that small in the amount of ground covered as compared with other scales, but I wasn't worried about that.  I still have the template pieces I made for the station building and the beginnings of a tram engine that owes a lot to Wantage Tramway No.4 in its general design.

It's lucky that these items have survived since I became very depressed after developing narcolepsy and I threw away a lot of things.  What I will be doing though is finding everything that I still have for this project and putting it in a safe place since it would be nice if I could continue with it.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

If Norfolk were flat, all the rivers would overflow and we'd be living on marshland..

• Informative/Useful 2

I'm not sure that rivers could exist in a perfectly flat world; wouldn't rain just create a sort of infinite shallow puddle, and slowly soak in?

I think St Enodoc was teasing, but the seaside excursion was good cover for a quick passing re-survey of the territory for the Wolfringham Branch and the WM Mineral Railway, which makes the point that the coast along there is actually all former bog and saltmarsh, under a quite steep original "edge" at the Sandringham-Dersingham Ridge. I can see why HMQ's ancestors chose it for their residence, because themix if flat bits and low hills, and the mix of soil-types makes it very picturesque.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I always took the Coward quip to refer to the Broads; if you think about it, a lot of tourist traffic from outside the county was directed to the Broads, so that might have informed the erroneous view that Norfolk is a flat county.

The Fens are really a thing of North Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire. 

One of the attractions of flat-landscape modelling is the challenge it represents. My theory is that, provided one goes for a Ricean height, his view-blocking techniques should work well in a landscape where the highest anyone generally gets is the first floor of a building. 

Likewise, a 3D back-scene formed of a series of receding flats, representing successive distant fields ought to work. Alternatively, a mature hedge row is generally enough to mark the edge of the world. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Annie said:

Knives were definitely out Don.  I was a bit so-so about scissors, but razor saws were a lot safer.  After injuring my hands a few times and spilling things I gave up in frustration, but back then I didn't really understand what was going on with me.  I do now though and I'm much more aware of warning signs that I'm likely to drop into a sleep state.

I worked a lot in wood and for that I found a razor saw to be my most useful tool.  I used to cut wooden parts for models from offcuts of wood that had been given to me for kindling for our wood stove and I have a couple of goods wagons that were made this way for the larger timbers with the rest of the planking provided by coffee stirrers and lolly sticks from the local craft shop.

I don't want to hi-jack James's thread, but this is a project that I would like to finish.  I know it's unashamedly whimsical, but I had a lot of fun getting it to this stage before I stopped model making.

586g0Sj.jpg

Oh do finish that Annie. It is delightful. Love the Birdie on the signal. Good craftmanship as well.

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

If Norfolk were flat, all the rivers would overflow and we'd be living on marshland..

Like the Fens? well at least until they drained them.

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Donw said:

Oh do finish that Annie. It is delightful. Love the Birdie on the signal. Good craftmanship as well.

Don

I will do my best Don.  I'll gather everything together again from where I carelessly hid it from my sight and see what I can do with it.  Everything for the signal box was cut with a razor saw so it's a fairly safe bet for me toolwise.  I planned to put a Gem lever frame inside it which would have the potential to be operational since the back wall of the signal box has been made to be easily removed for access.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 hours ago, Annie said:

I will do my best Don.  I'll gather everything together again from where I carelessly hid it from my sight and see what I can do with it.  Everything for the signal box was cut with a razor saw so it's a fairly safe bet for me toolwise.  I planned to put a Gem lever frame inside it which would have the potential to be operational since the back wall of the signal box has been made to be easily removed for access.

Well worth it if you do persist.

Did you ditch all your course scale O Gauge stuff or did you keep any display items?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Well worth it if you do persist.

Did you ditch all your course scale O Gauge stuff or did you keep any display items?

No, common sense took hold of me when it came to my coarse scale 'O' gauge collection and i just scowled at it with the thought I'd sell it all later, but fortunately I never did.  Something might happen with that too, but for now I thought I'd keep it simple and stick to 1/16th scale carpentry.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Annie said:

No, common sense took hold of me when it came to my coarse scale 'O' gauge collection and i just scowled at it with the thought I'd sell it all later, but fortunately I never did.  Something might happen with that too, but for now I thought I'd keep it simple and stick to 1/16th scale carpentry.

Glad to hear it

I always thought that, if you had room, a display plank would be good using that excellent station kit you once found; Purple Bob (wish the range was available in 4mil, too).

Now, quick question please:

Does anyone know the standard or typical dimensions for a Victorian-Edwardian railway poster or railway notice board? 

94771905_WNRPoster-Copy-Copy.jpg.e5d998bf57d1eecd0021c4a910c27c39.jpg

My brain works best in inches, or, of course, you might have some 4mil examples to hand.

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I always thought that, if you had room, a display plank would be good using that excellent station kit you once found; Purple Bob (wish the range was available in 4mil, too).

I've been looking at Purple Bob's range too.  Of course, the station building is a tad too large for any of my schemes, though I may one day get it as a background for a little diorama for my 50's O gauge Hornby trainset.  However, I'm dithering about getting one of the low relief buildings to see how they go, the "Undertakers" has a strange attraction and might fit into the background at Midsomer Brevis.  Or perhaps the Edwardian Public Convenience? 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Glad to hear it

Yes the wonderful low relief station card kit.  Yes that is a model i would very much like to use for an 'O' gauge BLT and fiddle yard layout.  I did various sketches and layout plans back when I was going to build a layout and it would be good to make a return to those.  I had gone so far as to obtain some sheets of a very tough commercial insulation board to use as the baseboard, but there things stopped unfortunately.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Alternatively, a mature hedge row is generally enough to mark the edge of the world. 

A sister lives with her husband in a small village in Norfolk and they give the impression that with some of the elderly inhabitants, that hedge row probably was the end of the world and they had never ventured beyond it.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ianathompson said:

Bit like this?

Its my take of the area within two or three miles from where I live.

Ian T

Yes. I remember looking for somewhere along the bottom edge of the wash miles of little roads the higest bits were the banks to keep the wash out and coming out on the Nene outfall.  A world where often the horizon is hidden by a nearby hedge or line of trees. Compare that to where we live now near the top of a small ridge,look East and you can see the quantocks at around 1000ft  look south and you see the Brendon Hills around 1300ft look west and behind the nearer hills is Dunkery Beacon at 1700ft walk to the top of the garden and look North towards the Welsh mountains on a clear day you might spot Pen y Fan a mere 2900ft  

Don

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

A sister lives with her husband in a small village in Norfolk and they give the impression that with some of the elderly inhabitants, that hedge row probably was the end of the world and they had never ventured beyond it.

We had neighbours on the Wenlock edge who had not been further than Shrewsbury.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Donw said:

We had neighbours on the Wenlock edge who had not been further than Shrewsbury.

Don

Surprisingly common, even these days. We had a neighbour in North Dorset who had never been any further than Salisbury (20 miles). And then only a few times in her life.

Posters:

This thread asks the same question as Edwardian posts, and the replies wander around a bit, but one is a copy of an old article that sort of answers the question https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62967-the-size-of-oo-bill-boards-and-posters 

But, I think the answer given is for what I would call ‘wall posters‘, rather than posters to go on boards.

Also, I suspect that more than one size was ‘standard’.

This looks authoritative https://bagdcontext.myblog.arts.ac.uk/2014/05/19/how-to-design-a-railway-poster/

Double Royal, not Double Elephant, it would seem.

TfL also say Double Royal In a current standard http://content.tfl.gov.uk/overground-poster-frame-standard.pdf

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 6