10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It had a number of useful outcomes, none of which were directly related to the military or political objectives.

Where would we be without the cardigan, balaclava, or Florence Nightingale?

Not to mention an incomprehensibly large number of streets and suburbs named Inkerman, Sevastopol, Alma etc.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Speaking about waterholes, how come any post  about German spies landing on the English coast and that JA picture pops up straight away, yet here Malcolm and I have spent over 1100 pages setting up the opportunity to mention outback waterholes and it goes straight through to the keeper..

These Poms are a bit slow - but it might be the Russians slowing things down :jester:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

One can easily tell how far up the road opposite us the Canada geese have waddled from the lake...

At least that is mainly semi-digested grass.

8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I once had a cat that worked out from observation what a WC was for and could use it while perching on the seat. He was once accidentally left in the house while we were out all day, and when we got home he'd left a deposit in the bath (I guess he couldn't lift the lid of the loo).

Our cat preferred shoes...

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Ah, a West Ham supporter.

Like West Ham, Hilda will bob to the surface and survive.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 21/07/2020 at 14:55, Northroader said:

Oh, alright then...

B6442BEB-2B35-428D-9788-ED62D94C6B33.jpeg.765a9bd5eb6ab1e48327eefba760db0a.jpeg

17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Ah, a West Ham supporter.

Doesn't seem to be blowing bubbles out of her donkey. Is there a flower planted there?

• Like 1

On 20/07/2020 at 00:09, Annie said:

Knives were definitely out Don.  I was a bit so-so about scissors, but razor saws were a lot safer.  After injuring my hands a few times and spilling things I gave up in frustration, but back then I didn't really understand what was going on with me.  I do now though and I'm much more aware of warning signs that I'm likely to drop into a sleep state.

I worked a lot in wood and for that I found a razor saw to be my most useful tool.  I used to cut wooden parts for models from offcuts of wood that had been given to me for kindling for our wood stove and I have a couple of goods wagons that were made this way for the larger timbers with the rest of the planking provided by coffee stirrers and lolly sticks from the local craft shop.

I don't want to hi-jack James's thread, but this is a project that I would like to finish.  I know it's unashamedly whimsical, but I had a lot of fun getting it to this stage before I stopped model making.

586g0Sj.jpg

I've mentioned this before

but you need to be careful when birds get near semaphore signals.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Adam88 said:

I've mentioned this before

The signal used to have a nice finial, but it got knocked off and lost.  Easy enough to make another one though.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Just now, Edwardian said:

I have finished off the test track's NG station building.

Huzzah!!!

Pretty and perfectly proportioned!

How are you getting on with track laying?  When's the "driving of the last spike" and the first circulation going to take place?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

How are you getting on with track laying?  When's the "driving of the last spike" and the first circulation going to take place?

Well I now have the NG track (if only I had thought to purchase track joiners), but have no more SMP plain track for the SG, and I will need some SG turnouts.  I have a couple of second-hand ones that seem to work and I can splash out on a couple of pre-built Marcway ones. 

I struggle with track and do not relish the prospect, and I have stalled in coach-building as my efforts thus far have proved inadequate to the task. Thus, I thought I'd cheer myself up with a whimsical little station.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

7 hours ago, Edwardian said:

IMG_0059.JPG.a14aafe08b17fdec749c3803fc5c7a8a.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG.11fed8df263bb311ef813bb19179c12d.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG.776637afb1389737cf031b508a17194f.JPG

I've not had a good day of it at all (having work done on the house and I've been filling the role of the over-anxious spectator), but this has lifted my spirits a bit.  And given me an idea or two to mull over. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Lovely model and phenomenally quickly built. We have an architectural style here called Federation (named because we got federated when it was popular, nothing to do with Star Wars or whatever) which that model  could easily pass for.

One slightly unsettling thing, the last photo showing the chimneys with their single pots and bulgy brick pelmet just below - as a was scrolling down to reveal it all, as the chimneys first appeared it  did look like they were flipping me the bird as the US say ,  double bird flip, even..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

14 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Oh, I say James, you have surpassed yourself again! That station building is absolutely exquisite. 

I sympathise with your difficulty with track-laying. I wonder if it's something that you might be able to seek assistance with? 

• Thanks 1

On 19/07/2020 at 23:17, St Enodoc said:

What, gyroscopes and all?

Late response (I've been scratchbuilding a kitchen) but yes.

Some rather talented gentleman in japan.

Edited by brack
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6