• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

the rolling stock would also need gyros

That's one of the main reasons why the prototype didn't catch on.

For more on Brennan, see "Louis Brennan - Inventor Extraordinaire" by Norman Tomlinson, John Hallewell Publications (1980), ISBN 0 905540 18 2.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The car is so cool that I actually like it better than a train - it has so many likeable features beyond the insane engineering, which is wonderful in itself. The ‘saloon’ section looks so convivial, like an open-air gentlemen’s club.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Stabilisers. Always the problem with monorails - they inevitably end up being trirails.

I think it is much less of a problem with underslung ones. You just need extra legs to hold the rail up!

I cannot see any great advantage in using them on ground level lines. The space needed to get wagons or carriages through  is wide enough for two rails.

Don

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

However imagine the problems once you turned the gyros off. Someone yelling out to the foreman "Get the big crane - the engine's fallen over again!!!"

I think brennan had calculated how long the gyroscope would keep spinning after power was cut off, cant remember the reference but I want to say that the car would stay upright for 12 hours or something daft. More than long enough to find a couple of props and wedge it in any case.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

In model railway terms I understood how we went from Trix Twin and HD 3 rail to two rail but I'm not clear how we would arrange electical pick-up.  I think the model in the video is a bit of a cheat as it's using dry cells for power.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Adam88 said:

In model railway terms I understood how we went from Trix Twin and HD 3 rail to two rail but I'm not clear how we would arrange electical pick-up.  I think the model in the video is a bit of a cheat as it's using dry cells for power.

So by analogy, those Hornby live steam locos are also a cheat, rather than the engineering marvel I always took them for.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well unless you are modelling SR electrics powered from the third rail or Overhead powered electrics using electricity is a cheat. Most of my Live STeam models are also a bit of a cheat as they use Butane but there is the coal fired one to complete.  The Late Clary Edwards built beautiful live steam 0 gauge models if the prototype had three cylinders thats what he built. His Spam can had the chain drive  just like the original. 

However these are not so ideal for indoor scenic lines so we use elecricity.

There is increasing use of Battery power for 0 gauge models is perhaps closer to the full size steam or diesel which also carry their own power supply. The use of radio control is a bit of a cheat but minature working drivers are rather lacking. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

“Interest was such that children's clockwork monorail toys, single-wheeled and gyro-stabilised, were produced in England and Germany.”

I guess the thing to do is charge the gyro by the usual method of string, then use clockwork for propulsion along the track.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ages since the Parish Council actually discussed Castle Aching, so I thought I’d better check that it’s still there.

It is.

View from the front of the village hall this afternoon.

53BE3D08-9A8A-41EF-B722-D1B8A7EB03BB.jpeg.efe827b6cac8dd5616f29f6582bb590b.jpeg

Plus a view of part of the priory, from the WNR “Guide to Attractions”.

8720BC6E-8713-48FD-825F-3EF22D3129F4.jpeg.cc8f5b761774b27a29a234d9b22717a4.jpeg

It’s apparent that West Norfolk’s tourist trade is suffering badly as a result of the now-over (for how long, dare we wonder?) travel restrictions. The posh tea rooms in CA are up for sale, and so is the equivalent at Dersingham.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Ages since the Parish Council actually discussed Castle Aching, so I thought I’d better check that it’s still there.

I suspect members are in voluntary lock down although I heard Mr Mayor was diverted looking for fishplates  one wonders if to match middle class fish knives and forks  :jester:

Nick B

• Funny 7

Well, I'm back.

1622302840_TheHappyReturn.jpg.424057ac9906d9cee9855275564f4619.jpg

My first post-lock-down visit to the Aged Ps was by way of a quick dash. I returned with the Offspring for an extended visit. I enjoyed trudging over my native heath, but am now back home and have hopes for some modelling this weekend.

Hope you have all been keeping well. 

I must order some fishplates for the NG line!

What I have bought instead are a couple of stout volumes on the Victorian Navy in an effort to make some inroads in another field of ignorance for me.

HMS_Aurora_Symonds_and_Co_Collection_Q20982.jpg.247f275ca33b68a50e9a723c4259ce20.jpg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

What I have bought instead are a couple of stout volumes on the Victorian Navy in an effort to make some inroads in another field of ignorance for me.

HMS_Aurora_Symonds_and_Co_Collection_Q20982.jpg.247f275ca33b68a50e9a723c4259ce20.jpg

Excellent!

Could you tell us what the volumes are?

In parts of my past I have had reassuring contact with Brassey's Naval Annual, but  that didn't contain pictures of the quality you have posted

All will be well with your cruiser, until Coronel and the Broad 14s

• Like 3

8 hours ago, drmditch said:

Excellent!

Could you tell us what the volumes are?

In parts of my past I have had reassuring contact with Brassey's Naval Annual, but  that didn't contain pictures of the quality you have posted

All will be well with your cruiser, until Coronel and the Broad 14s

The Friedman volumes on Victorian Cruisers and Victorian Battleships.  I have long had my eye on them, but when a leaflet came through the post from Pen & Sword announcing a sale, which included these volumes, I realised that this was the moment to purchase them.

14989.jpg.9ba8e33d82a8fc81bcacad1133374d98.jpg51-cgxwl3TL._SX260_.jpg.96ac387b19ad92a0052816d64fb94cde.jpg

• Like 9