1 hour ago, Northroader said:

I’ve got a great affection for the small fry after reading Kipling:

BE961456-AA4F-4CBD-B95D-170FAACB687F.jpeg.6e61c33e2d0e5ca0d6d4daae1887fed0.jpeg

http://www.telelib.com/authors/K/KiplingRudyard/prose/TrafficsDiscoveries/lawful_p1.html

Me too. 

A volume on British Victorian torpedo boats, torpedo rams, torpedo gunships, torpedo 'catchers/destroyers', gunships, 'scouts', river gunboats and other vessels smaller than frigate/corvette/sloop/cruiser/armoured cruiser covered in the volume I've just bought. 

• Like 2

On 20/07/2020 at 15:51, Edwardian said:

Glad to hear it

I always thought that, if you had room, a display plank would be good using that excellent station kit you once found; Purple Bob (wish the range was available in 4mil, too).

Now, quick question please:

Does anyone know the standard or typical dimensions for a Victorian-Edwardian railway poster or railway notice board? 

94771905_WNRPoster-Copy-Copy.jpg.e5d998bf57d1eecd0021c4a910c27c39.jpg

My brain works best in inches, or, of course, you might have some 4mil examples to hand.

Lord Craig says that if you will place one of his posters at Castle Aching he will place one of yours at Craig.

50170203561_b71fa44296_c.jpgCraig Castle Poster by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

Edited by dunwurken
  • Like 7

59 minutes ago, dunwurken said:

Lord Craig says that if you will place one of his posters at Castle Aching he will place one at Craig.

50170203561_b71fa44296_c.jpgCraig Castle Poster by Malcolm MacLeod, on Flickr

Oh, very good, and how very kind.

Craig was a great influence on me via my father's '50s RMs, so I'd be greatly honoured.  I will find space on the NG test track for the Craig poster.

When Castle Aching has a station, I shall be most proud to place one there, too. 

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Me too. 

A volume on British Victorian torpedo boats, torpedo rams, torpedo gunships, torpedo 'catchers/destroyers', gunships, 'scouts', river gunboats and other vessels smaller than frigate/corvette/sloop/cruiser/armoured cruiser covered in the volume I've just bought. 

Does it list the ironclad torpedo ram "HMS Thunder Child"?

And, more to the point, given this interest in Victorian Naval Adventurism, is the WNR going to serve a small (yet perfectly formed) East Coast Naval Base, lost down the ever present fold in the map, or chart since we're talking about tarry seafolk?

:crazy:

Good to see you back at the helm. Things have been odd in these parts while you were absent on AP caring duty....

• Thanks 1

You know how it is at Christmas when relatives don't know what to give you; they usually pick a book.  Whether this book has any interest to its recipient is immaterial doesn't really matter, its a gift!  Once I received such a book, one of the usual coffee table tomes from Salamander, The Complete Encyclopedia of battleships from 1860 onward.  My closest relationship to the sea was my grandfather who served in the Royal Navy in both WW1 and 2, but getting further than page two discovered a most interesting book covering the hulks to the present RN as well as the foreign competition.  Lots of photos and coloured line drawing which are interesting in themselves and attractively presented.  Probably not too much for those who make a study of these ships and their times, but certainly a good starter publication for those who may have an interest.:excl:

Brian.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The Friedman volumes on Victorian Cruisers and Victorian Battleships.  I have long had my eye on them, but when a leaflet came through the post from Pen & Sword announcing a sale, which included these volumes, I realised that this was the moment to purchase them.

14989.jpg.9ba8e33d82a8fc81bcacad1133374d98.jpg51-cgxwl3TL._SX260_.jpg.96ac387b19ad92a0052816d64fb94cde.jpg

Interesting looking books, but at present well outside my price range, even on sale!

However, Amazon has the Cruisers book in Kindle format for a tenner or so, and the Destroyers book for 15 squid, so I might dip my toe in and sample the Kindle version of the  Cruisers (more interesting than the big boys!).  I'll report back on how well it has transferred as Kindleisation sometimes has issues...

Currently the Battleships volume is the same price on Amazon as at Pen&Sword, though without a Kindle version. :(

As we know, railway companies would maintain their own poster boards at locations on other railways.  I posit this is where another company could offer a railway's passengers a useful onward connection and that the practice was less likely in the case of competing routes.

The West Norfolk would probably feature posters advertising other railways, each on their own company poster boards, for the Great Eastern, Midland and Great Northern (including joint ECML posters) at least. 

For its own timetables, posters and notices, I need WNR boards, and I am in the process of arranging this with Sankey Scenics.

If you have a station that might host a WNR board and WNR poster, please let me know via PM if you are interested in a pack and I will order a quantity to include one for you.

1060003174_RailwayBoardsPreGroupingWestNorfolkRailway.jpg.9dbd84bca10d21f900767800087581bb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

My stations will definitely have West Norfolk boards James, but it would be difficult to glue them onto a digital station.  At least I will be supporting you in spirit even if I won't be buying one of the packs

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I am trying to think why a station in mid-Wales would have a West Norfolk advertisement, unless it was an exchange for a Cambrian one.  (A very long way though.)  The mailted barley for the brewery comes from that part of the world so perhaps.

• RMweb Gold

I am minded that while the major railways would have a department to deal with posters small railways might well have used an agent. Such an agent would be pointing out that taking some poster boards from his other clients would reduce the overall cost of getting poster boards of their own erected.  Indeed the agent might well rent poster board space from all sorts of railways which he would then rent out to other railways. It might also be the answer to how those posters got updated he may have had employees who would go to a station and replace posters on a number of boards for several companies on the same trip.

Otherwise I cannot think it would pay the WNR to send employees all over the place. To Norwich and Kings Lynn yes but to Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham etc. where there may only be one board at the place.

I suppose alternatively posters could be sent to stations for the local staff to post on their board. Would it be done timely?

Don

ps I would like one or two posters 0 gauge size but would they need to go on a WNR board?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 31/07/2020 at 02:05, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Or, to go strictly Victorian, try - The Black Battlefleet, by Admiral J.G.Ballard.

20 minutes ago, Donw said:

I suppose alternatively posters could be sent to stations for the local staff to post on their board. Would it be done timely?

i have a recollection that a cache of various quite old posters was found in a station attic/cupboard/mystical wardrobe or something somwhere or other (note use of accurate research referencing here). That would imply that the posters were posted to station masters, and that what was put up depended on the whim, chracter, or interest of the official involved.

If they had been put up by roving agents you would think such a person woukld have appeared in popular fiction of the railway/detective/romantic sort, as featured on station bookstalls in yellow paper covers

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, joppyuk1 said:

Or, to go strictly Victorian, try - The Black Battlefleet, by Admiral J.G.Ballard.

A Victorian fleet magically disappears and resurfaces in a drowned future version of London in this tome I imagine. Or do you mean Admiral G.A. Ballard?:huh:

Edited by webbcompound
  • Funny 7

26 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

perhaps she could be invited to open the NG line

Ah, but in the tradition of her TV programmes, the event would then very likely become about her, and her love of dressing-up, more than the opening of the railway.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Ah, but in the tradition of her TV programmes, the event would then very likely become about her, and her love of dressing-up, more than the opening of the railway.

Really?  Just who might such a facile tradition be based around?

Julian

On 30/07/2020 at 20:28, Hroth said:

Does it list the ironclad torpedo ram "HMS Thunder Child"?

And, more to the point, given this interest in Victorian Naval Adventurism, is the WNR going to serve a small (yet perfectly formed) East Coast Naval Base, lost down the ever present fold in the map, or chart since we're talking about tarry seafolk?

:crazy:

Good to see you back at the helm. Things have been odd in these parts while you were absent on AP caring duty....

The Navy Lark ...

I confess I saw no application to CA in a study of the Victorian Navy.  You've got me thinking, though ....

I started off last year with the Osprey volume on the Black Battle Fleet, by way of introduction, and ever since have been toying with graduating to the Friedman volumes, the first of which I am steadily ploughing through at a rate of knots that would not embarrass a Victorian steam frigate (though will I also lack endurance under steam?).

The Victorian Navy saw such rapid change - technological change in hull construction and armour, boilers and engines, and ordnance, and evolving tactical and strategic considerations - that ships became obsolete long before they became worn out.  I'm reading the Cruisers volume at the moment and it seems that if a ship remained in commission for 15 years, it was doing pretty well.

The classic look that I love for the late Victorian Navy - black hulls, white super-structure and buff funnels - had gone to be replaced by all-over grey in 1904. Further, 1905 is the last pre-Dreadnought year.  There followed the fleet that Jacky Fisher built and the extinction of Victorian ships of the smaller classes was accelerated by Fisher's 1905 cull of all ships 'too small either to fight or run away'. Of course, such ships had always been key in 'showing the flag' to maintain order on the sea in far-flung places where a battleship was not normally needed, but the Navy baulked at the cost of maintaining them, rather thinking that the Foreign Office ought to do so (which, of course, it never did).  

I quite like this, though, HMS Bellona (1890).  She was withdrawn in 1906, but spent most of 1899-1905 in the Fishery Protection Squadron.  The focus was protecting the Newfoundland fisheries from the Americans and the French, but I can imagine her patrolling home waters in 1905, albeit reduced to boring grey.

HMS_Bellona_1890.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The Navy Lark ...

I confess I saw no application to CA in a study of the Victorian Navy.  You've got me thinking, though ....

I started off last year with the Osprey volume on the Black Battle Fleet, by way of introduction, and ever since have been toying with graduating to the Friedman volumes, the first of which I am steadily ploughing through at a rate of knots that would not embarrass a Victorian steam frigate (though will I also lack endurance under steam?).

The Victorian Navy saw such rapid change - technological change in hull construction and armour, boilers and engines, and ordnance, and evolving tactical and strategic considerations - that ships became obsolete long before they became worn out.  I'm reading the Cruisers volume at the moment and it seems that if a ship remained in commission for 15 years, it was doing pretty well.

The classic look that I love for the late Victorian Navy - black hulls, white super-structure and buff funnels - had gone to be replaced by all-over grey in 1904. Further, 1905 is the last pre-Dreadnought year.  There followed the fleet that Jacky Fisher built and the extinction of Victorian ships of the smaller classes was accelerated by Fisher's 1905 cull of all ships 'too small either to fight or run away'. Of course, such ships had always been key in 'showing the flag' to maintain order on the sea in far-flung places where a battleship was not normally needed, but the Navy baulked at the cost of maintaining them, rather thinking that the Foreign Office ought to do so (which, of course, it never did).  

I quite like this, though, HMS Bellona (1890).  She was withdrawn in 1906, but spent most of 1899-1905 in the Fishery Protection Squadron.  The focus was protecting the Newfoundland fisheries from the Americans and the French, but I can imagine her patrolling home waters in 1905, albeit reduced to boring grey.

HMS_Bellona_1890.jpg

Royal Navy Fishery Protection off the East coast in 1905 ....

I rather thought I'd set things up for a cruising presence in the wake of the The Dogger Bank Incident, but, surprisingly, no one else has chipped in with it, so I thought I'd mention it!

Dogger_Bank_Russian_Outrage_incident_1904_postcard.jpg.813e017a08997a430e367e925d3d0b42.jpg

1522100854_Dogger_Bank_Russian_Outrage_incident_1904_St_Andrews_Dock_Hull_postcard.jpg.b8b962ce0962ef526d23bcf2ef9258e4.jpg

Apart from anything else, the farcical performance of the Comic-Opera Russian fleet during the "incident" shows exactly why it was subsequently annihilated by the Japanese (doubtless in their Tyne-built Armstrong ships).

Bringing us back to the Victorian Navy. While an occasional threat to be countered arose every time the US built fast, commerce-raider frigates, the chief concern throughout the Nineteenth Century was French and Russian aggression in concert, leading the British to attempt to maintain naval dominance over the combined Franco-Russian fleet strength.  Judging by the performance of the Russian fleet when it finally encountered another modern navy in 1904-1905, British navy planners needn't have worried!

See also British Sea Fishing 

Any how, I can see a case for increased RN Fishery Protection patrols in the North sea and off the east coast in 1905, if only to reassure the public!

So, the RN may yet touch upon the world of Castle Aching.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1