3 hours ago, wagonman said:

I think you'l find the whole point of having a nanny was to save mater and pater from having any but the most cursory contact with their heir and spares.

It seems in many quite high profile cases the point of having a nanny (as understood by the husband) was to do with convenient opportunities for infidelity...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, wagonman said:

I think you'l find the whole point of having a nanny was to save mater and pater from having any but the most cursory contact with their heir and spares.

Well you know what they say............."Always keep away from children"!  ;)

• Like 1

Re: Napoleon and Waterloo.

I would remind people that, despite the ABBA song, Bonaparte did not surrender immediately after Waterloo, but some days afterwards to Captain Maitland RN of His Majesty's Ship Bellerophon.

Re: Early Steamship Boilers.

A major limitation was having to use seawater as boiler feed.

It is too easy to criticise in hindsight. Changes in maritime technology have to be proven in the face of a remorseless adversary; the sea itself.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Re: Napoleon and Waterloo.

I would remind people that, despite the ABBA song, Bonaparte did not surrender immediately after Waterloo, but some days afterwards to Captain Maitland RN of His Majesty's Ship Bellerophon.

... four weeks later, on 15 July, though he had abdicated only four days after Waterloo, having failed to gain political support in Paris. The news that the Chamber of Representatives would not continue to support him was brought to him by Regnaud de Saint Jean d'Angely - a name I've only once come across once before, and that in a railway modelling context.

Waterloo was not the final battle of the campaign. Apart from the battle of Wavry, commenced on the same day as Waterloo but carrying on into the following day - and a French victory over the Prussian rearguard, the latter's prolonged resistance enabling Blücher to bring the main Prussian force to Waterloo - there were some minor battles at Issy and Sevres before the Allied occupation of Paris on 7 July.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, drmditch said:

Re: Early Steamship Boilers.

A major limitation was having to use seawater as boiler feed.

It is too easy to criticise in hindsight. Changes in maritime technology have to be proven in the face of a remorseless adversary; the sea itself.

When did condensing steam-circuits become typical for ships? I know that battleships were built with then in the last quarter of the 19th century, and I know that they could be a failure point. Canopus, a pre-dreadnought battleship, was stopped at the Falklands with condenser failure in 1914 and thus managed to locate the fleeing German fleet for the battlecruisers to finish off.

• Informative/Useful 2

Just to veer off course...

Here's one of the new Spitting Image puppets that might amuse the Mayor.

1903475795_NewSpittingImageDC_s.jpg.dcae5ecdfd71baca74be0c3a34c67c24.jpg

He's having problems...

Sight.jpg.432d9f894da15a617b3ded57465e85c8.jpg

Edited by Hroth
Thought of a nifty adjustment...
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Just to veer off course...

Here's one of the new Spitting Image puppets that might amuse the Mayor.

1903475795_NewSpittingImageDC_s.jpg.dcae5ecdfd71baca74be0c3a34c67c24.jpg

He's having problems...

Sight.jpg.432d9f894da15a617b3ded57465e85c8.jpg

He looks strangely familiar ....

Mekon.jpeg.7d498333383482f51e4990e337e8d680.jpeg

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Seems to have problems with his foresight and his hindsight, too. 

Which is odd, really, as you'd think someone who is reputedly so bright would arrange for his second face to look backwards.

• Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Which is odd, really, as you'd think someone who is reputedly so bright would arrange for his second face to look backwards.

Given it is a Roman God, would that be a silent "J"?

Julian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, Edwardian said:

He looks strangely familiar ....

Mekon.jpeg.7d498333383482f51e4990e337e8d680.jpeg

It has been noted elsewhere on RMweb that the Spitting Image looks similar to a Stingray character, Surface Agent X-2-Zero, Titan's inept agent on land.

Agent-x2-Zero.jpg.fa14854f7d6f0cb3555f65b1c872938c.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_(1964_TV_series)#Recurring_villains

I think "inept" is the mot juste.....

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It has been noted elsewhere on RMweb that the Spitting Image looks similar to a Stingray character, Surface Agent X-2-Zero,

1) I don't think it really does;

2) How on earth do people remember minor characters from Stingray half a century or more down the line?

3) I think the Spitting Image puppet captures him perfectly (as they always do). Whoever had the idea to add the collar is a genius, because it somehow speaks of inflated self-image, bad temper, and unbalanced genius all at the same time. Is it lifted from the Wizard of Oz?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

2) How on earth do people remember minor characters from Stingray half a century or more down the line?

Better/different memory than you?

It does!

How could I forget? We rarely had a TV, so I'd only see it at friends' houses, ditto Thunderbirds, although bits of that have stuck in my mind.

Actually, we always had about twenty TVs, of all ages back to the ones with a 9" square magnifying glass at the front, but it was rare that any of them worked for any length of time. My father was a wiz with anything involving thermionic valves, variable condensers etc, and he used to buy "dead" tellies and radios from jumble sales to repair. The terminal problem with tellies was always when the CRT "went soft", which isn't something even an enthusiastic amateur can fix, so we would often be on the lookout for a good CRT to be mated with the contents of the shed to make a functioning unit.

We also had a graveyard of antique washing machines, motors from which went on to power things as diverse as a near lethal extractor fan in the kitchen, and an even-nearer-lethal lawn-mower made mostly from off-cuts of hardwood and push-chair wheels (this one was banned by my mother after one use!).

Barely any electrical appliance or toy was less than ten years old when we acquired it, and many were pre-war, which is part of why I have a taste for retro toy trains.

Oh, and we had about a dozen clocks (clockwork clocks), all of which were permanently "being restored" all over the dining table, when it wasn't covered in a Lone Star "push-along" replication of Clapham Junction.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Who could forget the Titan Terror Fish?

Anyway, never mind Stingray - what about Supercar?

1 hour ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Looks like a very young Muammar Gaddafi .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_Gaddafi

No she doesn't.

• Funny 6