• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Who could forget the Titan Terror Fish?

Anyway, never mind Stingray - what about Supercar?

No she doesn't.

quote from wiki that may be right ( for a change )

The likenesses of some of the puppets were inspired by real-life actors. Troy Tempest was modelled on James Garner  according to Gerry Anderson, this was at his own suggestion because the sculptors were struggling with his original brief.  Titan was based on a young Laurence Olivier and Surface Agent X-2-Zero on either Claude Rains  or Peter Lorre.    Atlanta Shore has been likened to Lois Maxwell (who voiced the character)   and Marina to both Brigitte Bardot  and Ursula Andress.       The look of the Aquaphibians was based on an alien creature that had appeared in the Fireball XL5 episode "XL5 to H2O".

Nick B

• Informative/Useful 4

44 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Who could forget the Titan Terror Fish?

Anyway, never mind Stingray - what about Supercar?

I liked it when it leapt from the water while being chased by Stingray in the title sequence.

And Supercar?  The ignition sequence of course!

Yep, things do stick in the memory.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Supercar was still a bit rough around the edges.

It took Fireball XL5 to do further rounding off before the Andersons went into colour and produced Stingray, Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet.

This Supercar episode is rather Film Noirish, with dodgy hoodlums.

The theme songs remained distressingly awful.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Joining in the fun, I've always liked the music ...

I think it shows the quality of the programs that I enjoyed them when they first came out and thirty years later in the 90s, (1990s that is), my sons enjoyed them as well, despite the fact that some of the technology was outdated.

35 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Joining in the fun, I've always liked the music ...

The Thunderbirds March was something quite special, unlike the descriptive/soppy lurve songs that infested the others.

Anyhow, my aunt had connections with Thunderbirds so I treat the series with a bit more leniency...

• Like 2

The first early Anderson effort that I vaguely remember was Torchy the Battery Boy

again with an awful theme song.  Somewhere, I still have an annual for it.

The next was a cowboy series, Four Feather Falls

The child entering the store at the beginning looks rather like a cabbage patch/pod child...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

The first early Anderson effort that I vaguely remember was Torchy the Battery Boy again with an awful theme song.  Somewhere, I still have an annual for it.

The next was a cowboy series, Four Feather Falls

I remember both of those but didn't know that Torchy was an Anderson production.

What about Twizzle?

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

What about Twizzle?

The one with the androgynous toy* with extending legs and arms?  Thankfully beyond my powers of rememberance, I've only seen an episode on utoob, up there with Magic Roundabout for spaced out whackiness!

Actually on topic as the establishing shot of the toyshop has a toy train shuttling to and fro in the window!

* Described as a boy, but has a 50s ponytail....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

The one with the androgynous toy* with extending legs and arms?  Thankfully beyond my powers of rememberance, I've only seen an episode on utoob, up there with Magic Roundabout for spaced out whackiness!

Actually on topic as the establishing shot of the toyshop has a toy train shuttling to and fro in the window!

That's the one. Immortalised by people who, if asked to do a task that involved excessive stretching and reaching, would invariably reply "Who do you think I am - f***ing Twizzle?".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

Wonder what scale/gauge the train in the window is?

<sharp intake of breath> a golliwog??!!?!

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Twizzle; back to railways then .... 

2142644386_DSC_6994-Copy.JPG.7901fe533b54c1077a1f086f12159d45.JPG

Although you should point out, for those not living in the North East of England, that the TV one is tw-iz-zl and the loco is tw-eye-zl. Nevertheless, good attempt at getting the thread back on track.

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

OK then!  The early colourful GW livery has not been replicated in those older engines that my have qualified, even the new build Saint.  Let alone slapping it on any other likely candidate, Dukes, Bulldogs especially.  May not be prototypical but  CoT looked good and it would make a change.  So much for Twizzle!:rolleyes:

Brian.

20 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

Wonder what scale/gauge the train in the window is?

Hornby O Gauge tinplate, I should imagine, given the "antiquity" of the toyshop!.

20 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

<sharp intake of breath> a golliwog??!!?!

'fraid so.

Evidently in one of the missing 51 episodes, there's a golliwog in whiteface...  A lucky escape!

17 hours ago, 90rob said:

And am I the only one who remembers Rubovia..

Apparently.  Looks like its claymation rather than puppetry.  I like the dragon!

19 hours ago, 90rob said:

And am I the only one who remembers Rubovia... but that was by Gordon Murray of course....

I vaguely remember it but it obviously did not make any deep impressions on me, not like, say,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oh dear!

Now that does provoke a giant outbreak of time-travelling. Clearest memory is of listening to it while standing with my nose at table height, so I must have been about 4yo, watching my mother sewing on her wonderful old hand-cranked singer machine, which always utterly fascinated me ....... the motion was hypnotic, and I was really "blown away" by the intricacy, and smooth mechanical precision of the thing, still am to be honest.

You can hear the other key nostalgia-prompts here http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/lwm.htm

(BTW, any Doctor Who aficianados in the house? I ask, because my favourite episode is "The Idiots Lantern ", in which Maureen Lipman in menacing mode asks "Are you sitting comfortably?". See here at c1:55. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+idiots+lantern&&view=detail&mid=6A9F843BFDB2FD6C82506A9F843BFDB2FD6C8250&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dthe%2Bidiots%2Blantern%26FORM%3DHDRSC3)

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4