1 hour ago, Adam88 said:

I vaguely remember it but it obviously did not make any deep impressions on me, not like, say,

You always get better pictures on the wireless...

I remember hearing lWM on my grandmothers radio, she would put it on a few minutes before it started to allow the valves to warm up, there's nothing more evocative of pre-transistor technology than the sound becoming slowly audible, or a TV picture emerging into focus for that matter!

I don't recall any of the stories however...

56 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

And then there was Children's Hour with Uncle Mac, which leads of course to the books "In the Train with Uncle Mac".

That reminds me, I'll have to dig out my Ladybirds.

(The Pacific on the cover looks ugly enough to be a Thompson rebuild...)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You always get better pictures on the wireless...

I remember hearing lWM on my grandmothers radio, she would put it on a few minutes before it started to allow the valves to warm up, there's nothing more evocative of pre-transistor technology than the sound becoming slowly audible, or a TV picture emerging into focus for that matter!

I don't recall any of the stories however...

That reminds me, I'll have to dig out my Ladybirds.

The very name Daphne Oxenford fascinated me.  She had one of those clearly enounced RP voices so rare nowadays but still haunting R4Ex drama.

You are right about letting the radio warm up.  One of the clichés now is for the actor to switch on the radio and for the assembled cast to hear instantly Neville Chamberlain lead the nation into war.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

(BTW, any Doctor Who aficianados in the house? I ask, because my favourite episode is "The Idiots Lantern ", in which Maureen Lipman in menacing mode asks "Are you sitting comfortably?". See here at c1:55. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+idiots+lantern&&view=detail&mid=6A9F843BFDB2FD6C82506A9F843BFDB2FD6C8250&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dthe%2Bidiots%2Blantern%26FORM%3DHDRSC3)

Yes!  I'm Late Pertwee and Tom Baker in terms of childhood viewing, but latterly started again from Matt Smith.  I have not been disappointed with any of the modern Doctors, though Matt Smith is the highlight for me.

My daughter recently discovered that, Christopher Eccleston and onwards, Doctor Who is on Netflix and she promptly watched the lot! This prompted me to do likewise, and I'm currently going through the David Tennant years.  I'm post Rose Tyler, so I did see and enjoy this one quite recently. I note it was a Mark Gatiss script, so bound to be a good 'un.    

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, webbcompound said:

And then there was Children's Hour with Uncle Mac, which leads of course to the books "In the Train with Uncle Mac".

And so back to railways!

455_in_the_train_older.jpg.e8a47d3afe8bcf75cd148c455af76f1e.jpg

Still a favourite read of mine. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

I am a little late to the party on the subject of 1960's children's television Science fiction series using marionettes.

But here goes,  does anyone else remember Space Patrol?.

Space Patrol.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

My daughter recently discovered that, Christopher Eccleston and onwards, Doctor Who is on Netflix and she promptly watched the lot!

My son, similar age I think, likewise, which is how I rediscovered it. I can’t get enthusiastic about the more recent ones, but I do like the ambience of the ones that must now be 10-15 years old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocor said:

I am a little late to the party on the subject of 1960's children's television Science fiction series using marionettes.

Space Patrol.jpeg

Rod Hull and Emu in the early days, before they got the look right?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rocor said:

Space Patrol.jpeg

Is that the one where they went faster than the speed of light and disappeared?  The space ship looked like a gyroscope.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

My son, similar age I think, likewise, which is how I rediscovered it. I can’t get enthusiastic about the more recent ones, but I do like the ambience of the ones that must now be 10-15 years old.

having set the ball rolling of childhood memories there is only one doctor and he had a very long scarf and as teenager the best eye candy as assistance's

doctor-who-romana-1-c972447.jpg?webp=tru

Nick B

now ducking for cover as the fur begins to fly 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

When I was a lad, the Doctor was played by a crotchety old sod called William Hartnell, and the set was played by various spare lumps of polystyrene that wobbled as the cast moved. Not a fan though I dare say it may have improved a bit since then.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, - strangely enough that's the Doctor I remember best.  We had a small clockwork black and white TV that produced not terribly good low resolution images and the the network (AKTV2) was always having things going wrong with it so we would get lots of interludes with kitten chasing bits of string, - BUT it was absolutely wonderful!   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

there is only one doctor and he had a very long scarf and as teenager the best eye candy as assistance's

Agree with the choice of  Dr, but  I reckon Leela was the  go-to assistant to have with you, especially if things got  a bit stabby.

6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Rod Hull and Emu in the early days, before they got the look right

I remember Rod Hull and his emu from a kids morning  TV series here in 1970 or so called "Miss Marilyns Super Flying Fun Show", where he played a bloke called Caretaker Clot. Then he went back to the UK and we got a different bloke with an emu. 

• Informative/Useful 3

On 12/08/2020 at 17:35, 90rob said:

Am I the only one who found Twizzle seriously disturbing? And am I the only one who remembers Rubovia... but that was by Gordon Murray of course....

Not only do I remember Rubovia, and the adjoining countries of Borsovia and Humperstein, but my forum name on a number of sites is Albert Weatherspoon.  I always thought that King Rupert looked like Peter Bull, while the Queen bore a resemblance to Margaret Tysack. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joppyuk1 said:

Not only do I remember Rubovia, and the adjoining countries of Borsovia and Humperstein, but my forum name on a number of sites is Albert Weatherspoon.  I always thought that King Rupert looked like Peter Bull, while the Queen bore a resemblance to Margaret Tysack. 

I see sir that you are a fellow connoisseur!  I believe only 16 of the original 38 episodes still exist - somewhere. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, joppyuk1 said:

I always thought that King Rupert looked like Peter Bull

Indeed.

Not many people who know who that is, even fewer who could make the comparison!

(His memoirs were very good, and hysterically named.)