• RMweb Premium

To be clear, in the 2010 analogy, Nick I've-forgotten-his-name-LD-leader was Saruman (the White Wizard) to Cameron's Sauron. Blair was the ancient history of a former age. Heck, the 20th century seems an alarmingly long time ago now, even though it was only yesterday...

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I'm not into LoTR, but if The White Wizard was a chap who made a truly enormous mistake, because he was too caught-up with his belief-systems and his friends, sort-of eventually half-realised that he had been party to creating a disaster, and afterwards spent eternity wandering around trying his best to do good, and to wheedle his way back into public affection, instead of going off to live the life of a penitent hermit, which is what everyone wanted him to do, then I can see that working.

This may help you to remember ....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Edwardian said:

So, about 14-15 years ago I found myself sitting in the paradise of the sunny Caribbean, missing the cold, dark, damp and rain of home, and re-reading Tolkien.

You go to the sunny Caribbean and read a book?:rolleyes:

Brian. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

In light of the nightmarish images I offer this as normality

CONSTANTINE.jpg

CONSTANTlNE, one of the earliest Fowler locomotives, had a worksplate on the frames giving the date (1866) but not the works number (691). The cabside plate read "LONDON CHATHAM AND DOVER RAILWAY Co SEPTEMBER 1866". As LC&DR 127, CONSTANTlNE worked both goods and passenger trains until withdrawn in 1907 as South Eastern & Chatham No.591.   (John Fowler & Co (Leeds) Ltd)

Nick B 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Normally I would post this in Book Corner on my own digital modelling thread, but if you want images to delight your eyes hasten off the the LNWR Society and purchase a copy of 'The Railway Photographs of P.W. Pilcher'.  Starting from around 1881 Mr Pilcher began to take photographs of the railways in the surrounding area where he lived and his photographs are absolutely stunning.

The LNWR Society was completely helpful when I enquired about purchasing this book and I can very much recommend them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

On 25 October 2019 at 10:04, Compound2632 said:

It's interesting that Adams' Mogul already has many of the characteristic features of the classic American mogul - highly asymmetric wheelbase, to clear the outside cylinders and the long firebox; long front platform, raised running plate, side window cab, and boiler-mounted sandbox. The American mogul goes back to the 1860s, so had Adams been looking across the Atlantic?

Resurrecting this theme, the latest Steam Days (September 2020) has a nicely illustrated article entitled "Born in the USA  - The British Moguls" by Paul Gower, which covers the MR, GNR and GCR classes, and throws in the GER and M&SWJR cousins for good measure.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Where to start...?!

Believes climate change isnt happenning but if it is its good because plants love carbon dioxide  and anyway more heat is better  because lots of people die of cold each year but no one dies of heat so a warmer planet will save lives. Or something.

All in all, You're welcome to him back (he was born in the UK..).

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, thank you to the Honourable Member for Sydney.

Clearly, we were already so f*cked that it was beyond belief well before Covid. Mr Abbott could just be finale to the Make-Britain-a-Joke campaign that Johnson, Gove et al have been successfully leading since 2016.

While the Left indulges in pointless revisionist onanism over the 'de-colonisation' of history, the Right just gets madder than ever.

Truly there is no hope for us! 

If you want some great colonial madness, by the way, there's a good film about the last Spanish troops in the Philippines. They held out against the forces of independence for about a year after Spain cut the colony loose by selling it to Uncle Sam (that noted colonial Power), and their paranoia was so extreme that nothing would convince them that the war was over, including newspaper reports and visits from sundry Spanish officers. After their magnificent, and entirely unnecessary, feat of endurance finally came to an end, naturally the survivors were national heroes on their return to Spain.

'Of course, they're all raving mad, you know'

1026921315_MV5BZmIzMmQzNDQtMGZiYS00MzIwLTk4ZTYtNWVhMWZkOTJjYTJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk5OTkyNDE@._V1_(1).jpg.951c42d9ec28471dce651b596a0082e2.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
Picture
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

the Make-Britain-a-Joke campaign that Johnson, Gove et al have been successfully leading since 2016.

Never in the history of the British people was so much damage inflicted by so few, onto so many...

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1