Mars will be colonised by Musk and several hundred droid-pigs, I guess (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53956683). Given that everyone, pigs included, will need life-support suits if they venture outside, it could all end up looking a bit Davros and the Daleks (last seen performing at the Kursaal, Southend in 1974).

Or, maybe he has this in mind:

Sorry, not totally related to Edwardian railways I confess.

88FD22F5-4C6C-4044-B9FD-4A083734EA47.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I fear that if we colonise Mars we will turn out to have learned nothing from our colonisation of Australia. 

I concur. I fear for the Little Green Men/Women/etc when Humankind arrives on Mars!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Wouldn't it be best for Musk to go Solo on the first "trial" journey to Mars, but then dial in the co-ordinates for Jupiter, as a check on the accuracy of the Nav system.....

Julian

PS.  I could help to do the calculations for the journey, as I still have my Portland Course Plotter to hand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

PS.  I could help to do the calculations for the journey, as I still have my Portland Course Plotter to hand.

I've got an old RYA textbook on coastal navigation, if that's any help?  ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Sounds perfect for the task in hand.  Do you think he might find my boat's Compass helpful, too?

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

You can often see Jupiter with the naked eye, wouldn’t point and fire suffice for these purposes?

I think that would be fine for 90% of the way, but he may find the `plotter and the RYA book useful for "aiming-off" into orbit as he gets nearer, although there are those, who might advise the direct "bull's-eye" approach.

Julian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Buhar said:

just seen Tony Abbot's comments on Coronavirus (though what connection that has with his trade brief, I don't know).

He did create a Knight Of Australia award when PM to award  those   who had given fair dinkum  outstanding service to Australia, then chose Australia Day to announce he was giving one to Prince Phillip, who is therefore now a Knight Of Australia.

Went down extra well with everyone here since the only bloke who had the right gear to look  like a true blue  Aussie knight was Ned Kelly .

Just bringing that up to illustrate that he is just a mental so will probably do or say any stupid thing at any time so just better  get used to it.

Heres a picture that Ned Kelly posted on Instagram (in those days you had to actually post stuff using a stamp, and it got uploaded via mail coach)  showing him enforcing  P4 standards on Victorian Railways.

Ned_Kelly_attemps_to_derail_train.jpg.dbddc5a8c7e02076a6463dcd0df77246.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 10

9 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

He did create a Knight Of Australia award when PM to award  those   who had given fair dinkum  outstanding service to Australia, then chose Australia Day to announce he was giving one to Prince Phillip, who is therefore now a Knight Of Australia.

Went down extra well with everyone here since the only bloke who has the right gear to look  like a true blue  Aussie knight was Ned Kelly .

Just bringing that up to illustrate that he is just a mental so will probably do or say any stupid thing at any time so just better  get used to it.

Heres a picture that Ned Kelly posted on Instagram showing him enforcing  P4 standards on Victorian Railways.

Ned_Kelly_attemps_to_derail_train.jpg.dbddc5a8c7e02076a6463dcd0df77246.jpg

For a moment there, I thought that was Trump's version of "I have a Railroad dream"!

Julian

Edited by jcredfer

37 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Heres a picture that Ned Kelly posted on Instagram (in those days you had to actually post stuff using a stamp, and it got uploaded via mail coach)  showing him enforcing  P4 standards on Victorian Railways.

Can't be Ned, he's not wearing his tin hat! :jester:

Brilliant!

I rather enjoy very homemade tourist attractions like that, which are pretty much extinct in England but still crop-up in Ireland*, and if it wasn't for a deep hatred of air travel, and a serious pandemic (they all are, I suppose), I'd be booking a trip to Aus right now.

* Where Ned is regarded as a native son, although I think it was actually his father who was.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I fear that if we colonise Mars we will turn out to have learned nothing from our colonisation of Australia. 

Insert punchline regarding inhospitable, dry, rocky, desolate red wastelands where we've sent several missions in search of intelligence?

Or are you suggesting that if we colonise mars then 200 years later some cheating little oiks will return to earth to sandpaper our (cricket) balls?

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, Buhar said:

Just seen Tony Abbot's comments on Coronavirus (though what connection that has with his trade brief, I don't know). Have we signed a deal with Australia that involves the importation of idiots? Totally unnecessary, we have plenty of our own, thank you. 

Alan 

Which tells you why his own political party chucked him out of the post of PM and later on his electorate decided to chuck him out of his seat. Tones is what we Australians are trying to not be seen as. But as I said a couple of pages ago Australia's loss is Australia's gain. 

Oh one other thing there are secret moves afoot here to have his citizenship revoked so you Poms may have to keep him for ever BWAAHAAHAA ............. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

is the Mayor ignoring my question to the floor or taking  advice and hiding in a fridge ?

Nick B

Yes?!  :crazy:

Wouldn't want to see one of these on a plate.....

Latimeria_menadoensis.jpg.46902aedd23385ff583f107126b457e6.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelacanth

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

is the Mayor ignoring my question to the floor or taking  advice and hiding in a fridge ?

I think we should respect His Worship’s privacy.

He will, without doubt, be along when he is ready.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Hroth said:

Combined with a Dalton's Computer that should do the trick.

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

You can often see Jupiter with the naked eye, wouldn’t point, fire and forget suffice for these purposes?

4065FBF5-CC73-4A3B-BDCA-367BE632E30A.jpeg

What's that grey thing? A piece of cheese?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

So I believe. But then, it all looks different from where you’re standing.

(Juvenile Uranus humour self-censored from posting)

I used to tell my pupils that Uranus was first seen in Slough.

I then discovered that William Herschel's first observations of the planet were made while he was still in Bath, before he built his observatory in Slough.

• Informative/Useful 6