• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Fun day at York today, reviewing initial livery samples for the D Class.

Bear in mind this is only the initial livery sample - the production version will reflect the changes agreed today):

20200902_123825.jpg.fdd8a206bf916112f661cbf9456f4099.jpg

20200902_135346.jpg.39262bee42c5a8cb0a42767875491c27.jpg

What a beautiful Loco.  Unfortunately it is the doubly wrong company, neither Cambrian or LCDR, and is the wrong century.  Perhaps eventually a cheap one on EBay.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

What a beautiful Loco.  Unfortunately it is the doubly wrong company, neither Cambrian or LCDR, and is the wrong century.  Perhaps eventually a cheap one on EBay.

I think Robert Surtees would have thought of it as an updated LCDR loco with SER outline - Wainwright's contribution to the design.

If nothing else, there will be a 4-4-0 chassis with 6'8" driving wheels available for alternative bodies.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Regularity said:

If nothing else, there will be a 4-4-0 chassis with 6'8" driving wheels available for alternative bodies.

Hum. Have Rails considered this? Chassis produced in larger quantities than finished models and available separately?

What's the coupled wheelbase of a D?

• Like 1

I'm surprised at your enthusiasm, Stephen, 6'8 (or indeed 6'9) drivers at a 9' wheelbase doesn't feature in the Midland scheme of things, the MR jumped from 8'6 to 9'6 and 10'.

Regrettably, the Caley 4-4-0 classes with a 9' wheelbase had 6'6 wheels.

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Buhar said:

I'm surprised at your enthusiasm, Stephen, 6'8 (or indeed 6'9) drivers at a 9' wheelbase doesn't feature in the Midland scheme of things, the MR jumped from 8'6 to 9'6 and 10'.

There were 120 4-4-0s built with 9'0" coupled wheelbase in the 1890s - all 6'6" drivers. 2183, 2203, and 150 Classes - the latter being the first piston-valve 4-4-0s, following on from the introduction of piston valves on the 179 and 115 Class 4-2-2s. The 9'6" coupled wheelbase engines were the 40 7'0" engines of the 60 Class - also piston valves of course and the coupled equivalent of the Princess of Wales singles. All wonderful engines, too soon disfigured with H boilers. All subsequent Midland 4-4-0s were 9'6" coupled wheelbase. 

I agree though that the D's 6'8" drivers are a bit awkward from a Midland point of view.

Other companies had four-coupled express passenger engines too. What are the leading dimensions of a Drummond T9?

Edited by Compound2632
7'0" drivers except 2203 Class, 6'6".
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Isn't the T9 a 10' wheelbase with 6'9" drivers?

I was looking at my wheel and wheelbase spreadsheet which only includes locos that made it to the grouping.  I presume all those 4-4-0s you mention experienced a full rebuild before 1923.

Alan 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Buhar said:

I was looking at my wheel and wheelbase spreadsheet which only includes locos that made it to the grouping.  I presume all those 4-4-0s you mention experienced a full rebuild before 1923.

I misread the table in Essery & Jenkinson - I saw a column that was 6'6" for every 9'0" wheelbase class but that was the firebox length! Only the 2203 Class had 6'6" drivers; the 2183 and 150 Classes had 7'0" drivers. 

Many but not all were all renewed as 483 Class superheater engines with 9'6" coupled wheelbase and 7'0" drivers. All the engines of the classes mentioned received H boilers (large round-topped boilers) between 1904 and 1908. All the 7'0" engines were renewed as 483 Class from 1912 - the vast majority before the otbreak of the Great War. However, 15 engines of the 2203 class were not and so passed to the LMS as 9'0" wheelbase 6'6" engines. They were withdrawn quite quickly - 1925-1927, except for two that had been given G7 saturated Belpaire boilers in 1910, they lasted until 1930/31 [Summerson, Vol. 3].

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Buhar said:

Regrettably, the Caley 4-4-0 classes with a 9' wheelbase had 6'6 wheels.

Alan

Ah but this is fantastic still as I have not come across any RTR 4-4-0's with a 9' wheelbase so perhaps a D chassis with Gibson drivers under a shortened T9 Body would provide an excellent example of a 80, 66, or 13 class!

• Like 3

My table and pencilled notes have the 2203 class as 8'6" wheelbase.  I can't check my Midland Locos book at the moment.

All that thinking outside the Rails box shouldn't detract from a very attractive model of a very attractive loco. Well done Mr Mayor, for your contribution.

Alan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

But whilst engaged on this errand to York did our esteemed mayor manage to negociate the purchase of some devices for joining rails together?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, rocor said:

No sooner has the Mayor turned up with an exquisite little model, than the multitude wish to convert it into something else, very strange!.

Well, no, the body's too exquisite. I think what was really being said was, please can we have a Dunalastair next (or whatever you're particular partiality is)?

• Agree 2

I'm worried that this latest Dapol offering might lead to a pre-grouping/post-grouping state of uncertainety in people's brains leading to meltdown or stasis, but given the proclivities of the local inhabitants here it is anyway.

rlychil.jpeg.39ab7fe735bd605c0f0f1b5b5a83db68.jpeg

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 5
  • Funny 2

21 hours ago, webbcompound said:

I'm worried that this latest Dapol offering might lead to a pre-grouping/post-grouping state of uncertainety in people's brains leading to meltdown or stasis, but given the proclivities of the local inhabitants here it is anyway.

rlychil.jpeg.39ab7fe735bd605c0f0f1b5b5a83db68.jpeg

It seems we are playing the Parish's own version of Mornington Crescent, whereby, at a hard to define, but undoubtedly appropriate, moment, someone posts ....

814255031_JARC09.jpg.373e97e4a863cbfbf5b100de89a80163.jpg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

It seems we are playing the Parish's own version of Mornington Crescent, whereby, at a hard to define, but undoubtedly appropriate, moment, someone posts ....

814255031_JARC09.jpg.373e97e4a863cbfbf5b100de89a80163.jpg

Its behind you!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Having just returned from a visit to Whitwick Manor I have come over all pre-Raphaelite so I offer this painting that quite struck me whilst there.

1012950.jpg.0d36d657c3deea14ec42f85cbe39ae2a.jpg

It is of Jane 'Jeanie' Elizabeth Hughes, Mrs Nassau John Senior (1828-1877) who, in 1874, was the first female civil servant as Inspector of Workhouses and Pauper Schools.

• Like 6