1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Andy’s idea is correct, most schools are dividing up into bubbles, generally by year, which will minimise the impact of how many will be sent home with the lurgy

They are, but by no means all schools have a building layout that facilitates a chunk of school being dedicated solely to a given year - in many schools there are at least some shared areas like access routes, which is why the pattern is often “everybody out - deep clean - all back except the immediate year group”.

Once the reality Of the disruption becomes apparent, I can imagine more schools trying to eliminate sharing of access routes etc altogether.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

health and efficiency”, and I see it’s still being published.

Somewhere, a frail and dry old hand is turning another page, trembling in anticipation of the smudgy black and white delights to found overleaf.

Mind you, the ‘young ladies enjoying a brisk game of beach volleyball’ must be getting on a bit themselves by now. The picture probably shows them sitting in deckchairs knitting-up a nice cardigan for the latest new grandchild (while starkers).

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

‘young ladies enjoying a brisk game of beach volleyball’

Which suddenly reminds me of "The Prisoner" and makes me wonder if the big wobbly, bounding white ball only wants to make friends with No6?

As it were.

So to speak...

• Funny 3

5 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

Stop press      which Dwarfs up for the chop ?

Nick B

Gandalf will have to use an old Istari mind-trick to sneak them past the Dol Guldur storm troopers .... "These are not the Dwarves you're looking for ..."j

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Gandalf will have to use an old Istari mind-trick to sneak them past the Dol Guldur storm troopers .... "These are not the Dwarves you're looking for ..."j

was thinking more snow white

i  use to work for a French company   servers for a key product where 

Prof    Grincheux    Dormeur    Timide    Joyeux    Atchoum    Simplet

Doc     Grumpy      Sleepy       Bashful     Happy     Sneezy       Dopey

master monitor snowwhite

Nick B

Edited by nick_bastable
added info
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

No, that's Dumbledore you're thinking of.

I get confused. I can only do two recognisable impressions, so, when it came to bedtime stories, the Fat Controller sounded rather like Winston Churchill, while Gandalf was Alec Guinness.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

You're doing better than me. The height of characterisation I achieved was Eeyore's Black Country accent.

Eeyore has always been my favourite character in the 100 Aker wood, with his innate grasp of the realities of existence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/09/2020 at 02:10, brack said:

Things have improved a lot in the last decade or so (a combination of drink driving being no longer acceptable and a rise in the profile of healthier lifestyles)

The wowsers have hit the annual Bathurst car race here - this is the limits they've imposed..

Limit  each person is allowed to bring in each day:

1 x carton of full-strength beer (5 per cent alcohol or less) - 24 cans x 375mls or less, or

1 x carton of light / mid strength beer (3.5 per cent alcohol or less) - 30 cans x 375mls or less, or

1 x carton of pre-mixed spirits (6 per cent alcohol or less) - 24 cans x 375mls, or

1 x carton of cider (5 per cent alcohol or less) - 24 cans x 375mls, or

1 x cask of sealed wine (14.5 per cent alcohol or less) totalling 4 litres or less, or

2 x 375ml plastic bottles of spirits (38 per cent alcohol or less) - must be the original manufacturer's product with seal unopened, or

1 x 750ml bottle of spirits (plastic only)

DIY sampler packs aren’t allowed and you can't tick off all of these options; it's a carton of Tin Bailey's or a pillow-sized goon bag.

"If you arrive with all four days alcohol supply on or prior to Thursday, all but your single day supply will be confiscated and disposed of," Supercars said in a statement.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

The wowsers have hit the annual Bathurst car race here - this is the limits they've imposed..

1 x carton of full-strength beer (5 per cent alcohol or less) - 24 cans x 375mls or less, or

1 x carton of light / mid strength beer (3.5 per cent alcohol or less) - 30 cans x 375mls or less, or

1 x carton of pre-mixed spirits (6 per cent alcohol or less) - 24 cans x 375mls, or

1 x cask of sealed wine (14.5 per cent alcohol or less) totalling 4 litres or less, or

2 x 375ml plastic bottles of spirits (38 per cent alcohol or less) - must be the original manufacturer's product with seal unopened, or

DIY sampler packs aren’t allowed and you can't tick off all of these options; it's a carton of Tin Bailey's or a pillow-sized goon bag.

"If you arrive with all four days alcohol supply on or prior to Thursday, all but your single day supply will be confiscated and disposed of," Supercars said in a statement.

I'm led to believe that you have misquoted the directive, it actually reads -

"each person must bring the following each day:

Hic!!!!!"

This is Australia you know .........:drinks:

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

First time through, I missed the "or" at the end of each line...

A former colleague of mine, on a business trip to Dublin, enquired of his hosts about the truth of the tale that one could survive on a diet of just Guinness. He was told no, for a healthy diet one would need to drink, per day:

• one pint of milk,
  • two pints of orange juice, and

• forty-seven pints of Guinness.
Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

3 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Hic!!!!!"

Probably!

I did go once in the late '80's before the  European and Jap cars crashed  the party and ruined the cosy V8 Ford vs Holden annual biff.

Camped by mistake near some bikies who when they weren't dragging each other around on their bums  behind  their Harleys until their pants ripped off and then compared gravel rash would down flagons of port, then put them  in the fire until they exploded raining glass over everyone like we were at the Somme and it was shrapnel.

But it did create a nice smoke ring that ascended quite prettily. 

Edited by monkeysarefun

10 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

was thinking more snow white

Nick B

So I realise, and there are some tough choices ahead for many of us ...

1289794117_SnowWhitetheSevenDwarfs.jpg.dfe82446514e1397dd38e8e10d72f7a1.jpg

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

3 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

First time through, I missed the "or" at the end of each line...

Actually, I missed the "ors" entirely until you pointed them out and was about to reply ironically that it hardly seemed worth going in the circumstances, but actually, I imagine many Australians reading that and expending a good portion of their annual "strewth" quota.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

i guess it must be a trial arriving with your day allowance of four litres of wine each and then having to spread it across four days

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Like Compound I initially missed the "ORs" at the end of each clause...

What really concerned me were the following

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

and I thought "how long would spirits last in a plastic bottle without leaching all the plasticisers out of the plastic?" and then thought "well, given the circumstances, the stuff won't have been in the bottle for long in the first place, and the bottles will soon be empty!"

ANYHOW

The loophole for any self-respecting heavy drinker would be to enlist the assistance of three friends/dupes one a non-drinker (the designated driver) and two very moderate drinkers who mainly prefer soft drinks. The heavy drinker would then be able to draw on the allowances for the other three EACH DAY and thus drink himself into sottish insensibility.

5 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

This is Australia you know .........

You said it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Plastic bottles for spirits don't have plasticisers in them.  

Plasticisers are used to make rigid plastics (like PVC) flexible.

Flexible plastics like PET don't need a plasticiser.

Edited by Andy Hayter
typo
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

A former colleague of mine, on a business trip to Dublin, enquired of his hosts about the truth of the tale that one could survive on a diet of just Guinness. He was told no, for a healthy diet one would need to drink, per day:

• one pint of milk,
  • two pints of orange juice, and
  • forty-seven pints of Guinness.

A friend who having been ill was seriously under weight . His Doctor told him to have a couple of pints of Guinness mid-morning and two Mars bars mid -afternoon.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DonB said:

A friend who having been ill was seriously under weight . His Doctor told him to have a couple of pints of Guinness mid-morning and two Mars bars mid -afternoon.  

He didn't put on any weight but he was a darned sight happier.

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, DonB said:

It used to be a couple of Mackesons Stout and many an elderly taker, too.

Julian

• Agree 1